Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would the Intel 845 MCH chip break without heatsink?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would the Intel 845 MCH chip break without heatsink?

Well here's the case. I opened up my computer 5 years after buying it to upgrade it. When I opened it it, I found out that the heatsink of the memory controller hub (MCH) had broken off from the motherboard and was lying at the bottom of the computer.

Well in fact I know now that it's been broken for at least 3 years, since about 3 years ago, I changed the position of my PC, and as I moved it, I heard something loose moving around inside the computer. I didn't take it seriously then as I thought it's probably a lose screw or something.

But the funny thing is, I play memory and CPU intensive computer games, and it has worked fine since at least 3 years since it's broken off. But I'm worried that without the heatsink, it may be overheating, and its lifetime may be decreased.

Here are some of the temperatures of components, at 100% CPU usage, obtained from Speedfan.

Ambient: 45C
    Remote 1: 49C
    Remote 2: 37C
    HD0: 28C
    Temp1 = 24C

I'm pretty sure that Remote 1 is the processor, and temp1 is the temperature of the case, but I don't know if the Ambient or Remote 2 temp is measured by that chip?
    (Just out of interest, where would the temperature sensor for 'Ambient' be?)

Fan speed:
    3212 RPM - CPU
    2065 RPM - System fan

As you can see, one of the loops (which I have highlighted) on the motherboard which the clip of the heatsink was attached to has broken off. The clip I had only attached itself to 2 loops, so if I buy a clip that attaches itself to 4 loops, will I be able to use it to reattach the heatsink?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself some Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy to stick it back on permanently. Clip becomes redundant.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=OA-001-AC
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That exact thing happened to an old computer that I had, some old HP. A hook had broken and the heatsink was just lieing to the side exactly like what happened to you. According to my geeky genius friend on old computers the northbridge can survive fine without any heatsink as it really doesn't get hot enough. If the heatsink had fallen off the CPU you'd have a problem, but it's just the northbridge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeh northbridge's are fairly resilient. Especially on lower power machines.

On newer stuff tho they can get very hot, I have a huge heatsink on my NB, and a 80mm fan
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would it work more efficiently though if I did fix the heatsink back on? The only way I see is to either get a clip that is capable of holding onto 4 hooks or to use double sided thermal adhesive tape. As for using Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy, if the glue dries hard before I have oriented the heatsink, it will be permanent and would I not be able to move it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m91)
    Would it work more efficiently though if I did fix the heatsink back on?
    I dont know about working more efficiently but it would definately increase the lifespan of the NB.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m91)
    Would it work more efficiently though if I did fix the heatsink back on? The only way I see is to either get a clip that is capable of holding onto 4 hooks or to use double sided thermal adhesive tape. As for using Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy, if the glue dries hard before I have oriented the heatsink, it will be permanent and would I not be able to move it?
    I seriously wouldn't worry about it. The computer that I had with the same problem was probably running for years without the NB heatsink. I wouldn't bother, but then again I'm incredibly lazy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another thing would be if I was overclocking my processor, it could cause the North bridge to overheat wouldn't it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    dont overclock if you cant keep your pc cool.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 30, 2007
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.