The Student Room Group

Ontological Argument; please help!

Hi
I'm writing a critical essay on the ontological argument; and whilst I have found many criticisms against the argument; I cannot find anything anyone has ever said about its strenghs (a recipe for a very one sided discussion!)

I remember hearing about a philosopher called Jennifer Arliss (sp?) who made a very good case for the ontological argument but I can't find her anywhere and get nothing when I google the name. Does anyone know who she is, and what she had to say about the ontological argument?
Reply 1
Look up:

Alvin Plantinga
Descartes

That's all I can remember so far, but there should be more :smile:
Reply 2
You need to distinguish between different types of ontological argument. There is not "the ontological argument" - there are a variety. And the reasons to criticise them differ between the different conceptions.
Reply 3
General strengths of the ontological argument(s):

1. Seems to be logically valid (in truth, is not though)
2. A priori - being justified in believing in God not contingent on scientific theory which is subject to change
3. Intuitive premises (in Anselm's version)
Reply 4
OK, thanks for the replies. It was the ontological argument put forward by St Anselm that I meant; what others are there?
Reply 5
Descartes made his own one I think :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Galatea
OK, thanks for the replies. It was the ontological argument put forward by St Anselm that I meant; what others are there?

Descartes' is pretty famous. Plantinga's is the most modern version I know of.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ontological-arguments/#PlaOntArg
Reply 7
And it's Julie Arliss, not Jennifer (I think).

Latest

Trending

Trending