The Student Room Group

Various questions in relation to GCSEs!

I'd appreciate help with any of the following! :smile:

1) Can you take GCSEs in the November/January session? Someone told me it's up to the exam centre, is this true?

2) As a Private Candidate, can you find your coursework marks before exam day? If not, why not?

3) What's the minimum amount of GCSEs you must take in order to get into a good i.e. top ten Uni?

4) Do universities discriminate against people who've done GCSEs in two separate sessions, say six in spring, and three in Nov/Jan?

5) I need to do my GCSEs in 2009 due to exceptional circumstances. Will a sixth form still let me in? I'll have only just turned seventeen in the June, so would be only be the same age as those born in the September.

6) Is the grade boundaries higher in Jan/November? If so, isn't that discrimination?

Thanks
x
Reply 1
I can answer some of them, but keep in mind i did my GCSEs about year and half ago, so information might have changed :smile:

1) Can you take GCSEs in the November/January session? Someone told me it's up to the exam centre, is this true?
Yes you can, I have a friend resitting Maths and she is doing it in November. I'm not sure if this is the case with all GCSE's, or just Maths, and again its up to the centre. Some exam boards may not let you take the exam in the earlier session

2) As a Private Candidate, can you find your coursework marks before exam day? If not, why not?
Sorry, don't know about this one

3) What's the minimum amount of GCSEs you must take in order to get into a good i.e. top ten Uni?
There is no specific amount. Some specify 5 A* - C, but i would say you need between 9-12 to be around the average

4) Do universities discriminate against people who've done GCSEs in two separate sessions, say six in spring, and three in Nov/Jan?
Nope, they wouldn't be allowed to. I think the problems would come in if you were resitting GCSEs, especially if your thinking of applying to top unis, they will have people who have 11A* on first attempt...

5) I need to do my GCSEs in 2009 due to exceptional circumstances. Will a sixth form still let me in? I'll have only just turned seventeen in the June, so would be only be the same age as those born in the September.
Best thing would be to ask them. Some will, some may not. I have people at my 6th form who have gone back a year, and its no problem

6) Is the grade boundaries higher in Jan/November? If so, isn't that discrimination?
Depends on the paper. If the paper is easier in November, then the grade boundaries will be higher. If its harder, the grade boundaries will be lower.

Hope that helped.. :smile:
Well, _bonnie answered it all really. Just to clear up your first question, it isn't just Maths. You can do English/Lit in November too, and if you're doing modular courses I think you do some modules in january/november. However many subjects only have summer exams...sciences, languages etc.

Latest