The Student Room Group

Is Sociology & Psychology really as hard as people say??

Im going to sixth form next year, and im really interested in studying sociology and psychology, but i dont know anyone who studies these subjects and i was just wondering, is it really as hard as people say it is?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Whoa, blimey, no need to shout!

Psych isn't hard if you put the effort in. You gotta be able to learn around 3-4 case studies for each disorder, as well as 3-4 theories for each mental disorder.
Julz-x
Im going to sixth form next year, and im really interested in studying sociology and psychology, but i dont know anyone who studies these subjects and i was just wondering, is it really as hard as people say it is?:confused:

Psych-
easy peasy.
Just remember to ALWAYS go by the Themes given in the syllabus. And you'll definately be given an A.

Check out

www.holah.karoo.com

ALL the notes you need for AS :smile:
Reply 3
Well my friend got an A in sociology and she told me she doesn't really have a clue what she's writing about or what sociology really is
Reply 4
Sociology is pretty straight forward, I'm doing it this year and I think it's pretty easy if you have a teacher who knows what they're doing :wink:
Reply 5
I did both at AS. My Sociology teacher wasn't really up to scratch and I did lots of revision, and got an A. So from my personal experience, it wasn't THAT hard. However, Psychology was harder I think, but I really like it so I don't mind too much. It needed lots of revision too, as well as a competent teacher. It is a bonus that some parts overlap quite well - both have a 'Research Methods' module. If you aren't a slacker, doing both subjects is managable :smile:
Ugh..
ChrisRH
Ugh..

:confused: Anyway...

I can't speak for Sociology as I haven't studied it, but I'd definitely recommend Psychology. It's not difficult as such, but there's an awful lot to remember, theories/studies etc and the evaluation of them which is where you get the high marks. But if you're willing to put in the time to revise everything (or you're one of them people that doesn't need to) then do Psychology. Plus, if your sixth form/college does AQA 'A' Psychology then it'll be better because that's the best specification in my opinion. :p:
Reply 8
i wish i did sociology it seems an easy ride
I do both.

Easy as peas.

Don't worry about it.

Besides, a hard subject would put hairs on your chest.
If you want hardness do Biology and Chemistry!!

Anyway, my friends that do it say its not hard, its just answering the questions the right way. They said that they hate the way the teacher says one thing and the book says another and another book says another etc. Have you seen the REALLY big A2 book they have? Its like a filing cabinet to carry!

Most people failed Psych cause a lot also do English and we had 3 hours of English exams in the morning and they had half an hours lunch and then three more Psych that afternoon!!! Im not surprised they failed!
Reply 11
Sociology is ridiculously easy...if you have abit of common sense and can write essays you can easily get an A. Psychology requires alot more work and effort.
I didn't know people did say sociology and psychology were hard. If anything, any opinions I've seen on the matter seem to be that they're a complete doss and largely worthless.

I don't study either, so I wouldn't know. Just wondering where you heard they were hard!
Joanna May
I didn't know people did say sociology and psychology were hard. If anything, any opinions I've seen on the matter seem to be that they're a complete doss and largely worthless.

I don't study either, so I wouldn't know. Just wondering where you heard they were hard!

:ditto: Though I've studied neither, I've yet to meet anyone who said those two subjects were hard, any more so than other subjects.
Reply 14
Thanks you guys for all the tips......
i was told by a few of my mates and i hear rumours about how they are really hard subjects............
but i can see from people who have experience that its not as hard if you put your effot into it.....!!! :smile:
Reply 15
can u type in bigger font i cant read that

apologies
Reply 16
As hard as 'they' say it is? Surely that should mean they're easy...
Reply 17
Well, what are your friends like?
You're asking one of those questions, and on the student room of all places!
Most of the people on here, and their friends, are straight As and A* candidates so in their eyes it would be amazingly easy - especially if they're also taking something like chemistry along side it.
One on my friends in the year above (13) got 2As 6Bs and 5Cs at GCSE...she got a D in psychology at AS (Actually no one at my sixth form got above a C at AS last year, will change this year with me I hope).
I'm finding psychology a lot of work actually, their is a hell of a lot to remember and i'm deadly serious about that. If you have a bad memory, I wouldn't even consider taking it. With psychology you don't even need to understand, it's all memory.
People at my sixth form say psychology is 'rock hard'. But then, everyone at my sixth form are idiots.
ChrisRH
Ugh..

I hear you...:wink: I didn't want to say anything, though.

---

Sociology, I don't do. What I do know is that there is one class of FOUR people who do it at A2. At A/S, there were 16. So a lot of people did crap/hated it.

Psychology is straight-forward in principle, but don't be complacent. SO many people are re-sitting A/S exams because they did rubbish. Yet it's possible to do really well. (Without bragging, for example at A/S, I got 96% on one exam, and 100% on a second, which basically required four essays in one hour. So clearly, if you know how to do it, you can get the best marks. Whereas the same cannot be said of Maths, or French.)
Reply 19
Yeah I do both Psychology and Sociology, I find Sociology easier, I spent one day revising it for AS with a couple of hours the night before and got full UMS on both my papers. However, the coursework is rather time consuming. It is easy enough if you have the knowledge and the exam technique! I spent longer on Psychology than any of my subjects, I find it harder than Sociology although I enjoy it more. The same goes for Psychology if you know the exam technique and have the relevant knowledge, you can get full UMS. For Psychology, in the exam I just wrote copious amounts so the examiner had no choice but to give me full marks!

Quick Reply

Latest