The Student Room Group

Reapplying next year

If I dont get into Uni this year for medicine cos its so competitive (My least competitive uni I want to apply for has 8 applicants per place) I would like to do something to do with business and mathematics/economics next year because i dont want to risk applying for medicine another time round and then again not getting in which would waste like 3 years.

If I applied to medicine this year and then next year i applied to do something in economics at the same uni, will i be looked down upon for not being focused on one career.

Im passionate about medicine but also business, so i chose med because it is highly rated and i would like to be a doctor but if i didint get in this year i would rather do a economics and maths degree than risk another chance of doing med (ill have wasted a year already so med would take 6 years but a degree in economics and maths could take like 3/4 years).

I want to know whether my application would be frowned upon if at one uni i apply for economics even though previously i applied to medicine for it.

Thanks
Reply 1
i can't really be certain, but i wouldn't expect you to be rejected outright for it. as far as i know, because it's a different department, your application shouldn't necessarily be handled by the same people -- so they may not remember you. however, it's entirely possible they might keep records of past applicants and be able to cross-check this year's application, so i couldn't be sure. tbh though, i think they're probably interested in attracting the best candidates -- so as long as you had a strong ps that indicated your commitment to economics, it hopefully wouldn't be a problem. i don't think your lack of focus careerwise should be an issue -- don't stats show that a significant proportion of graduates go into work unrelated to their degree?

if it's any help, i'm in the same boat now. applied for history and english last year, applying for law this year -- and i applied to both universities last year. and will likely reapply to one more of the unis i applied to last year.

Latest

Trending

Trending