The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c471
BT?

Basic Training! The Paratroppers are an special branch of the British Army, you do realise that right? They specialize in capturing enemy airfields like the US Army Rangers and are under the command of the Director Special Forces in the Special Forces Support Group. The other battalions are the parachute infantry component of the British Army's rapid response formation 16 Air Assault Brigade. Thus you must have BT from the other more regular branches of the British Army.
Reply 121
Original post by Type 052D
Basic Training! The Paratroppers are an special branch of the British Army, you do realise that right? They specialize in capturing enemy airfields like the US Army Rangers and are under the command of the Director Special Forces in the Special Forces Support Group. The other battalions are the parachute infantry component of the British Army's rapid response formation 16 Air Assault Brigade. Thus you must have BT from the other more regular branches of the British Army.

Ha! as a former paratrooper, I am sure I can comprehend exactly what role the paras take. Thanks for the lesson though, sometimes I do forget basic details about what it was I did for a living for several years.

You can join directly as a paratrooper, at either officer or tom level. Alternatively you can join other branches like artillery, REME, Engineers and join the brigade after passing P-company and your jumps course, as I did.

They most certainly do not fall under the command of DSFG.
Original post by c471
Ha! as a former paratrooper, I am sure I can comprehend exactly what role the paras take. Thanks for the lesson though, sometimes I do forget basic details about what it was I did for a living for several years.

You can join directly as a paratrooper, at either officer or tom level. Alternatively you can join other branches like artillery, REME, Engineers and join the brigade after passing P-company and your jumps course, as I did.

Wow! An former Paratrooper :smile:. Are an veteran from any conflict?
Original post by c471
On my pre para there were a few guys from the rifles. I couldnt possibly say how likely it is. Its possible, but depends on how much your seniors are prepared to chase it for you.

Heres hoping, my recruiter is SCOTS and said a fair amount of clerks,chefs, medics hes had attached to his Battalion have been winged up. I would straight up go for the para's but i feel at home with the RRS and the RHQ has helped me alot with my medical defferal so i feel i owe them my service.
Original post by TKnightrider
. As wiht pay im not sure

Pay is on a scale which goes across all three forces. Varieties of extras (flying pay, danger pay, etc) but pay is standardised according to rank equivalencies.
Original post by c471

Haha, isn't it delightful when you catch someone out for being full of ****! Well played, sir.

Only 1 Para has restricted selection criterea, 2 and 3 Para are normal units.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Only 1 Para has restricted selection criterea, 2 and 3 Para are normal units.

But I'm sure Para's has more restriction then the RAF regiment, right?
But I'm sure Para's has more restriction then the RAF regiment, right?

No, aside from a slightly higher entry fitness standard, 2 and 3 Para are for all intents and purposes regular infantry battalions. You need not have any prior military experience whatsoever to join.
Joining the paras in just 6 weeks so Paras :P
Reply 130
I am an ex 1 Para soldier and have worked with boot necks and Sas I know a Marine who failed P Coy!! And all my Para mates passed the all arms Marine course so that speaks for itself :smile:
Original post by C Perry
I am an ex 1 Para soldier and have worked with boot necks and Sas I know a Marine who failed P Coy!! And all my Para mates passed the all arms Marine course so that speaks for itself :smile:

Original post by MaxSimms10
I like the fact that everyone is saying para troopers because they supply the SAS with the most soldiers and this only because para troopers are the next best air support unit, but you wont get any of the para troopers in the SBS because only royal marines can enter the SBS, if you read up about the SBS you will find out that it is usually this unit who does most of the major operations nowadays because the SAS have been bigged up by the media and made them less secretive. Also the SBS requires exactly the same training as the SAS but more. But to be honest I don't know why someone would judge what special force they want to go on based on getting in the SAS or SBS because the chances of that happening is extremely slim. Me personally I would go join the royal marines because it is the hardest training which means if you complete it you know you are ready for war.

This has to win an award. Pmsl.
Reply 133
Original post by LeicesterStudent

I wouldn't be so hasty. The intellect level seems about right.
You are a propper whopper. First off, there is no UKSF selection test that qualifies you for the SAS, so you lie. The SBS do not do the same selection as the SAS, so you are stupid. As for "further" training ? Yeah, right. Theres not enough info on the SBS cock up's because they dont do so many missions/opperations. But they still have them. We could go back to South Georgia or the Falklands ? Where so many RM decided to retreat (hide) rather than charge in and atack certain positions. (Very well noted) Remember the song, "Hands up, baby hands up........) You need to grow up and realise the two are really different. When the SAS went into Sierra Leone to successfully rescue troops, the SAS declined the RM support which was readilly available and insisted on the Paras. The RM would have wanted to go in and set up tents to imunise people and hospital tents etc. The Paras were there to just go in and kill people. Two very different types of troops. If you want a trade, join the marines. If you want to kill trogs, join the paras.
Original post by leesclark
You are a propper whopper. First off, there is no UKSF selection test that qualifies you for the SAS, so you lie. The SBS do not do the same selection as the SAS, so you are stupid. As for "further" training ? Yeah, right. Theres not enough info on the SBS cock up's because they dont do so many missions/opperations. But they still have them. We could go back to South Georgia or the Falklands ? Where so many RM decided to retreat (hide) rather than charge in and atack certain positions. (Very well noted) Remember the song, "Hands up, baby hands up........) You need to grow up and realise the two are really different. When the SAS went into Sierra Leone to successfully rescue troops, the SAS declined the RM support which was readilly available and insisted on the Paras. The RM would have wanted to go in and set up tents to imunise people and hospital tents etc. The Paras were there to just go in and kill people. Two very different types of troops. If you want a trade, join the marines. If you want to kill trogs, join the paras.

I really hope you haven't created an account specifically to post nonsense on a dead thread that's already been resurrected once!

Latest