The Student Room Group

Starting Russian from scratch at Uni... Totally pointless?

Well im currently in year 11 and I REALLY want to do a Russian A-Level. The only problem is that there is NOWHERE, and I mean NOWHERE around my area that offer an A-Level course.

My only option is to start to learn it at University. I am very good at languages as I have just done my French and German GCSEs a year early and I still got an A* in both.

Is starting at Uni totally pointless? If I put effort in and I am dilligent, will I still be able to speak and understand the language well by the time I have finished the course? Or should I just forget about it totally, even though it is VERY important for me to learn it?

Thanks for feedback.
Reply 1
Heaps of people do ab initio Russian at uni - if you're interested in the culture, language and literature etc. I think it would be a really rewarding degree. You could combine it with another language (perhaps French or German) or another subject entirely. Most courses will incorporate a year abroad in which your comprehension and fluency will really improve.

So yeah, if it's what you'd like to study, do it! :smile:
Loads of people do it at Sheffield, including me, and its completely fine for a beginner. Go for it! here you can even combine it with a non-language degree if u want

Latest

Trending

Trending