The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I was tied between that and transplantation...
Reply 21
lukeciez
I was tied between that and transplantation...

Again, limited to the number of donors available; although organs could technically be grown from stem cells in the future.
it's an amazing concept though. i mean you're desensitised to how amazing it is now because it's common sense. but when it was first done, the idea that you could take parts from dead people and use them to give people life must have seemed like magic.
Reply 23
the bmj posted a poll like this (except it wasn't for the past century but the past 166 years) not long ago actually and sanitation got the vote. i suppose it's one of the simple ones that gets a bit overshadowed by the others.
Reply 24
Clean water is quite high up i suppose - comes under 'sanitation'.
Reply 25
bright star
it's an amazing concept though. i mean you're desensitised to how amazing it is now because it's common sense. but when it was first done, the idea that you could take parts from dead people and use them to give people life must have seemed like magic.

yeah... just reinforces how amazing and bizarre life is in general without trying to sound hugely corny
yeah, i was gonna say handwashing if i really had to choose.

EDIT: also i've just noticed that for reasons unknown to me when posting above i managed to write common sense when i meant commonplace.
Reply 27
Cpt.Hards
Hi,

In a mock interview someone asked me, "what do you think is the most important medical development in the past 100 years?". I had no idea what to say:s-smilie:

You got a conditional? What kind of mock, the one's your school does, or private ones?

Wikipedia has a list of nobel prizes for medicine or physiology.
Reply 28
mouse_mat
You got a conditional? What kind of mock, the one's your school does, or private ones?

Wikipedia has a list of nobel prizes for medicine or physiology.

It was just a mock interview with my school.

Penicillin was my first instincts but then i thought, what about the development of safe anesthetics?
Within the last hundred years surely new developments in anesthetics have saved numerous lives as well as stopping pain in minor surgeries.
Cpt.Hards
Hi,

In a mock interview someone asked me, "what do you think is the most important medical development in the past 100 years?". I had no idea what to say:s-smilie:

What do you think the most significant medical advance in the past 100 years is?

Washing hands
(ok, that was a bit more than 100 years. It was in 1848 by Semmelweis )

Latest

Trending

Trending