The Student Room Group

Maths and Further Maths A2ers - which modules?

In my school there's no choice for Further Maths students, we have to do the 12: C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1, FP2, D1, D2 and M1 and M2.

However, I think only taking two Mechanics modules puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to doing a Maths degree, but luckily, my school are running lessons to teach M3 as a subsidary module.

So did you have the option, and which did you pick? And why? :suitd:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think FP3 would be more helpful for a Maths degree than M3, at least at Warwick. Dump those Decision modules!
Reply 2
We have to do:
C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2,FP3,M1,M2,M3,S1,D1

i want to do M4 instead of D1 (i'm applying for physics) but they won't let me :frown:
Lusus Naturae
Dump those Decision modules!

Oh, I would if I could! Words cannot describe how much I hate it! :mad:

But yeah, I don't mind doing extra modules in M or Pure. I really love Pure actually.
I'm scheduled to do [C1, C2, S1] [FP1, M1, D1] in Year 12 and [C3, C4, S2] [FP2, FP3, M2] in Year 13, although apparently there is 'some flexibility'.
Reply 5
D2? IMO its not really needed lol do fp3 instead or if you really want it do m3. But you have enough modules to make up and I dont think you'd be at any disadvantage really.
fusionskd
D2? IMO its not really needed lol do fp3 instead or if you really want it do m3. But you have enough modules to make up and I dont think you'd be at any disadvantage really.

As I said, I would if I could. I don't consider Decision a proper brand of Maths,and in the lessons I just turn off. I actually loathe it. :mad:
Reply 7
For us it is C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1, FP2, M1, M2, D1 and we get to pick as a class out of S3 and M3, but I wish I could do FP3 instead.
Epitomessence
In my school there's no choice for Further Maths students, we have to do the 12: C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1, FP2, D1, D2 and M1 and M2.

However, I think only taking two Mechanics modules puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to doing a Maths degree, but luckily, my school are running lessons to teach M3 as a subsidary module.

So did you have the option, and which did you pick? And why? :suitd:

2 Mechanics modules is more than enough. Bear in mind you will get people coming in after no modules of mechanics to do a maths degree. All that will happen is you will sit on your hands longer while the lectures catch them up.
Reply 9
Hey there :biggrin:
For AS I did: C1, C2 and S1
For A2 I'm doing: C3, C4 and M1
Futher maths AS: D1, Fp1 and Fp4

I've found this combination pretty good going so far. D1 is easy, C3 expands a great deal on C2 and in C4 you will cover stuff on vectors and matrices that you will be doing in further maths (for me, it's in Fp4). S'all good! x
blue ink
For us it is C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1, FP2, M1, M2, D1 and we get to pick as a class out of S3 and M3, but I wish I could do FP3 instead.

I'm really jealous of you people who all get a choice, honestly. :frown: I wouldn't mind doing S3, but M3 and FP3 sound glorious.

By the way, I saw your sig, and we have 3 Uni applications the same! (I'm applying for Maths.) Which Cambridge college you applied to? :smile:
We had a vote in our Further Maths set.
In the end our modules (for Edexcel) were:
C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, S1, S2, M1, M2, M3, D1

How can you not like Decision modules?
D1 has been extremely easy. :smile:
For what it's worth, I'll have done:
C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 S2 M1 M2 M3 FP1 FP2 FP3 D1
(OCR).
You'll be in no disadvantage when it comes to being accepted in university anyway. In terms of knowledge...well what ever you dont know now, you'll learn in uni anyway :wink:
Epitomessence
As I said, I would if I could. I don't consider Decision a proper brand of Maths,and in the lessons I just turn off. I actually loathe it. :mad:

Decision I actually quite liked, it involves nearly no work. See it as an easy mark booster that covers your backside, rather than as a drag back.
Reply 15
Epitomessence
I'm really jealous of you people who all get a choice, honestly. :frown: I wouldn't mind doing S3, but M3 and FP3 sound glorious.

By the way, I saw your sig, and we have 3 Uni applications the same! (I'm applying for Maths.) Which Cambridge college you applied to? :smile:

I'm really jealous of the people who get to do FP3. Applied modules are really annoying me right now. D1 is really easy, but the class sends me to sleep and I've decided I hate algorithms.

I'm applying to Caius :smile:. Et toi?
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Decision I actually quite liked, it involves nearly no work. See it as an easy mark booster that covers your backside, rather than as a drag back.

Actually, D1 was my lowest mark. I mean admittedly, I didn't work v. hard at the beginning of the course, but whereas with M1, persistent revision got me better, the more I pushed at D, the worse I got. :redface:
calcium878
For what it's worth, I'll have done:
C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 S2 M1 M2 M3 FP1 FP2 FP3 D1
(OCR).

Hmm, how come you're doing 13 modules? Or is it just to get the best combination of results?
Epitomessence
Actually, D1 was my lowest mark. I mean admittedly, I didn't work v. hard at the beginning of the course, but whereas with M1, persistent revision got me better, the more I pushed at D, the worse I got. :redface:

You pushed way too hard. All you have to do is learn and follow the algorithms.
Glutamic Acid
Hmm, how come you're doing 13 modules? Or is it just to get the best combination of results?

Worst applied module gets thrown out, whilst allowing us to study lots of Mechanics :smile:

Latest