The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
Generally: pretty good :smile: took me a bit longer to adjust and settle in, but its getting better.

Course: Generally, excellent. One or two bits that aren't good, but they go by fairly quickly. Lectures are good and people on the course are all great

Halls: Halls are fine, close to lectures and near to tesco, lidl etc. so convenient in that sense. Feels like a bit of a journey for a night out though to some extent. It's good though all in all.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
One Word? Dissapointing

I am finding living away fine and finances are also fine. But.... the course is dreadful, nothing like what i was expecting. It's odd when i came here i thought it would be living away that would cause the problems and finances, but it's actually the course.....
What course are you doing?
Reply 4
International Business Finance And Economics...

It's useless and i am unsure what to do. I have spent the last month trying to get a course change, just to be moved around the various departments with appointments but no results. Sick of it really...
Do you do some of the same modules as the BA Econ? (Introduction to Microeconomic Principles etc.)
Reply 6
Yes, the course are very similar. Accounting, Economics, Politics, Sociology, Mathematics + useless study skills and introductory computer applications!. That is the problem with these courses, they are social science led, where it should really be business led....
Reply 7
Piece of advice for the maths courses: nail the basics and pass.
I'm proper struggling with the Introductory Maths course, got a C for GCSE and don't even understand the higher tier stuff let alone Matrices and god knows what else.. :frown:
Reply 9
Ittoqqooorrtormitt
I'm proper struggling with the Introductory Maths course, got a C for GCSE and don't even understand the higher tier stuff let alone Matrices and god knows what else.. :frown:

Use the red book, it's the bible as far as the course is concerned. I did the Advanced Maths having done it at A-Level and found it a nightmare, but you have to remember it's a multiple choice. The first 10 questions are all nailable if you hammer the basics. You want to aim to cover at least 70% of the material. Just pass, and you can forget about it.
Reply 10
I have had so much fun ever since I have been here I completely abandoned TSR :redface: . Its hard to believe that just a month ago I was so worried about my course, my hall mates and the fact that I was going to miss fresher's week, whether or not I would fit in etc etc. I absolutely love it here!!! :biggrin::biggrin: I did have trouble adjusting at first....I barely knew anyone and on top of that I had come in late, the constant raining and the harsh cold :p:....but I have to say that I have been placed with the best people on my floor and on my course....everyone was so friendly and so welcoming and it wasn't long before I started to settle in really well. In fact I missed the people on my floor a lot when they left for reading week and I am glad they have all returned now and things have become alive again :biggrin:. I love my course and I am glad I decided to study it. I was advised against doing so by many people as its engineering and its supposed to be tough and rigorous, which at times yeah it is, but i really enjoy so I am not complaining.....much :p: . Really if I knew I was going to have such a blast here, one month earlier, I would tell myself to stop spending the endless sleepless nights about uni . I am really glad that I came to manchester :biggrin: :biggrin:.
sebas_back
Use the red book, it's the bible as far as the course is concerned. I did the Advanced Maths having done it at A-Level and found it a nightmare, but you have to remember it's a multiple choice. The first 10 questions are all nailable if you hammer the basics. You want to aim to cover at least 70% of the material. Just pass, and you can forget about it.

The introductory maths one isn't multiple choice sadly! :frown: And do you mean the book we got in the post before we came?
Reply 12
Ittoqqooorrtormitt
The introductory maths one isn't multiple choice sadly! :frown: And do you mean the book we got in the post before we came?

Yeah that one. At least you can get method marks if you put working down, cash in, even if you don't understand it just try and remember it.
Reply 13
It's all good.

The course itself (Biology) is alright; some of it is really enjoyable, some of it makes me want to kill myself. But that's to be expected with anything I guess.

Settled in quickly to halls and as a flat/floor we're all pretty close and get on really well. Really enjoying it all so far, despite the fact I'm actually having to start working now! :frown:
*snip*
Reply 15
i do ba econ
hhhhhhaaaaaatttteee it
Reply 16
Ittoqqooorrtormitt

Dont worry about these courses, the exams ask the same questions every year, just get copies of the old exam off the student portal for the last five years or so and practice them....I was rubbish at maths, didnt go to any of the lectures and got firsts in both Introductory Maths and Statistics.......
Reply 17
KKwaz
International Business Finance And Economics...

It's useless and i am unsure what to do. I have spent the last month trying to get a course change, just to be moved around the various departments with appointments but no results. Sick of it really...

Stick with it, I graduated in the summer from IBFE and its a really well respected course by employers, in the first year you do have to do a few crappy courses but in second year its nearly all free choice and so you can do nearly all accountancy/finance related courses if thats what you're in to....
Reply 18
gnome
i do ba econ
hhhhhhaaaaaatttteee it

Why do you hate it?

Latest