The Student Room Group

travelling or uni?

ive just done my first year of physio......and completed a resit for anatomy which i passed, so can now start my second year. however, i really want to go travelling, i was thinking, should i just leave uni now, go travelling, and start my second year next september? or finish my degree, then go travelling? it will be harder to get a job if i do the second option wont it?
Reply 1
amylou
ive just done my first year of physio......and completed a resit for anatomy which i passed, so can now start my second year. however, i really want to go travelling, i was thinking, should i just leave uni now, go travelling, and start my second year next september? or finish my degree, then go travelling? it will be harder to get a job if i do the second option wont it?
to be honest I don't think it would make it harder to get a job if you went travelling after. The job situation is not brilliant still so some people I know are considering it as an option post qualififcation - plus then you could tie something physio specific into your time...for example some of the girls here are planning to go and work in an orphanage in cambodia (some did it this summer too) doing some physio stuff and then travel after. To be honest I would rather do it after - I think while you're in the middle of learning its better to stay - I don't think I'd be able to get back into it after a year off.......if you could tie your travelling to something physio related during that time then it may prove a very worthy experience for your Cv and something employers would look highly on I think
Hi Amy

If you opt out now you will miss the second placement which begins in a couple of weeks. Why not see how that goes before jumping ship? I know you are a bit fed up and I can't blame you for that, you must be fed up about missing the first placement, but being on this first placement has changed my views about the course, in a more positive way.

I had been feeling really down, as you know from my little rants! But the placement has helped me get things into perspective again and made me feel more enthusiastic. And we are both at the same hospital for the second placement so if you want some support then I will help if you want me to.

I was ready to leave during the summer, but realised that I felt relieved that I didn't get the physio assistant job in August. Give yourself a chance to see how the placements work out before making any decisions.

If you want to pm me then you have my address or I will talk to you, if you want, when we get back to uni in a couple of weeks.

Take care

Rosie
Reply 3
I would agree with the others and do it after you've finished, there are so few jobs about now...and probably even less in a couple of years so it will make little difference to the job market. I guess it looks better if you've stuck with the degree and then go travelling rather than stopping half way- looks a little bit like you're not committed to the course etc...sorry but in honesty that's what I would think as a prospective employer!

Plus you'll find things a bit tougher with regards to the actual physio work if you have a years break...it's inevitable that you'll forget stuff over that time....plus your friends will be a year ahead of you and you'd have to make new friends again...

Oh and also you'll get a good 12 months after you graduate before you have to start paying back student loans, overdrafts etc which would be a good time to travel!!

I don't know your circumstances at all so can't really say but thats my personal opinion:smile:

Latest