The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
CorpusNinja
How do you know he was dying?

Schrödinger's Motorist? Don't be so inane. It surely profits me more as a humane, conscientious individual to dedicate five minutes and a (free) phone-call on the assumption that a Max Power enthusiast, his imminently expecting pregnant wife and their four year-old daughter are not necessarily, on a balance of probabilities, 'right as rain', than to allow myself the benefit of the doubt for the sake of nothing more than a hot lunch.
Abeille
There is also the aspect of, treat others as you would be treated.

If I almost killed myself for no reason whilst endangering the lives of all those around me, I wouldn't expect to be helped. :s-smilie: I probably would help myself (this is getting confusing... :P) but I wouldn't expect for me to.

ForeverIsMyName
You don't think people should get things like stomach pumps, plaster casts for broken bones or anything else like that then, I presume? For these people (through their own negligence, often) have figuratively 'made their bed'. No second chance for them?

They probably weren't putting my life at risk through their own idiocy while they did that. The rules change then.

TKnightrider
I would just like to say, it is illegal not to stop and help someone in a crash. It is your perogative as a member of the public in the UKto help an injuried person in any situation, even if they are a boy racer.

Is there another law for car crashes? Because I was under the impression that we were one of the few places not to have a 'good Samaritan' law - we're supposed to weigh up situations before involving ourselves, and even if we could safely help, we don't have to.
Profesh
Schrödinger's Motorist? Don't be so inane. It surely profits me more as a humane, conscientious individual to dedicate five minutes and a (free) phone-call on the assumption that a Max Power enthusiast, his imminently expecting pregnant wife and their four year-old daughter are not necessarily, on a balance of probabilities, right as rain, than to allow myself the benefit of the doubt for the sake of nothing more than a hot lunch.

I got that!! I understood it! I got and understood a Profesh joke!
Tomber
Heaven forbid you should be inconvenienced!

If it's not illegal (which I think it is) then it is without a shadow of a doubt immoral.

What if say, someone you know had a heart attack, and you had to rush them to the hospital, of course you are driving quickly, and under duress, and you crash.

Is someone justified in leaving you there and not helping, because they judged you as driving irresponsibly? They are clearly just not in the kind of position to make these judgements.

It is illegal, it is stated in the road safety act or something like that. It is not said at driving lessons and i dont know why but im telliung you it illegal
Tomber
Heaven forbid you should be inconvenienced!

If it's not illegal (which I think it is) then it is without a shadow of a doubt immoral.

What if say, someone you know had a heart attack, and you had to rush them to the hospital, of course you are driving quickly, and under duress, and you crash.

Is someone justified in leaving you there and not helping, because they judged you as driving irresponsibly? They are clearly just not in the kind of position to make these judgements.

exactly. you similarly don't know the circumstances of the driver who goes past.
like i said i would appreciate help, just not condemn those who didn't.
Reply 85
TKnightrider
Sometimes in life we all have to make the difficult choice between what is right and what is easy.

'Whoops'.
someone involved in a crash has a high chance of dying if it's a serious one and they receive no help. if they were up and walking around, then as a lone woman at night, i'd leave them well alone. but if i couldn't tell, no way i could justify leaving them there. even minor injuries can become fatal if untreated.
rinabean
If I almost killed myself for no reason whilst endangering the lives of all those around me, I wouldn't expect to be helped. :s-smilie: I probably would help myself (this is getting confusing... :P) but I wouldn't expect for me to.

So if you had an accident and were in a ditch somewhere, you could be dying from your injurys but in any case it is very, very cold so if you're stuck there for too long you will die anyway... you would look at the lights of the passing cars and think 'Oh well, I probably deserved this...and anyway, they've got their dinner on the table and the cat probably needs feeding, corries on at eight... nevermind'
Reply 88
CorpusNinja
exactly. you similarly don't know the circumstances of the driver who goes past.

But we do know the circumstances. He was late for his food. :rolleyes:
Reply 89
CorpusNinja

Perhaps you misunderstand me, I am not arguing that a driver is compelled in all circumstances to stop, for example on a motorway, when clearly it would be more dangerous for them to do so.

I am arguing that for a driver to refuse to stop on the basis of a snap value judgement about the worth of the crashed driver based on their driving style is totally wrong.
Profesh
Schrödinger's Motorist? Don't be so inane. It surely profits me more as a humane, conscientious individual to dedicate five minutes and a (free) phone-call on the assumption that a Max Power enthusiast, his imminently expecting pregnant wife and their four year-old daughter are not necessarily, on a balance of probabilities, 'right as rain', than to allow myself the benefit of the doubt for the sake of nothing more than a hot lunch.

Hot lunch and the prior behaviour of the individual in concern. I don't see how you generalise about profitability across all individuals with different preferences.
Reply 91
rinabean
They probably weren't putting my life at risk through their own idiocy while they did that. The rules change then.

Of course they are. You don't think that the portion of the NHS budget occupied by such people would otherwise be diverted to something more critical? Doctors? Beds? Nursing-staff?
Profesh
'Whoops'.

Whoops youve lost me?
Abeille
So if you had an accident and were in a ditch somewhere, you could be dying from your injurys but in any case it is very, very cold so if you're stuck there for too long you will die anyway... you would look at the lights of the passing cars and think 'Oh well, I probably deserved this...and anyway, they've got their dinner on the table and the cat probably needs feeding, corries on at eight... nevermind'

Precisely, which is why I don't drive like that.

Now, if it were an accident that wasn't my fault in such a huge way, I don't think I'd be having those thoughts - but we're talking about very reckless drivers.
TKnightrider
It is illegal, it is stated in the road safety act or something like that. It is not said at driving lessons and i dont know why but im telliung you it illegal

i never read that in my highway code.
rinabean
Precisely, which is why I don't drive like that.

Now, if it were an accident that wasn't my fault in such a huge way, I don't think I'd be having those thoughts - but we're talking about very reckless drivers.

You don't know the circumstances of why they were driving like that!!

For example I was always very safe on the road (country roads, little moped) until I actually had a crash. That day it would have looked like I was a right **** in what I was doing, did I not deserve help for that one time I made mistakes?
cpj1987
But we do know the circumstances. He was late for his food. :rolleyes:

And driving like a **** (we're told).
Reply 97
CorpusNinja
Hot lunch and the prior behaviour of the individual in concern. I don't see how you generalise about profitability across all individuals with different preferences.

A hot lunch is worth more than the lives of potentially five or six people, none of whom has necessarily done anything that a typically reasonable human-being would not themselves have done in similar circumstances; and not all of whom are necessarily accountable for the recklessness of but one among them, which might be itself subject to circumstances of an extenuating nature that we can but guess at. Gotcha.
Profesh
A hot lunch is worth more than the lives of potentially four people, none of whom has necessarily done anything that a typically reasonable human-being would not themselves have done in similar circumstances; and not all of whom are necessarily accountable for the recklessness of but one among them, which might itself subject to circumstances of an extenuating nature that we can but guess at. Gotcha.

Well you clearly ignored the bit about 'prior behaviour'. If that affects someone's judgement, fine by me. Like I said, I don't expect everyone to behave in the same way.
Profesh
Of course they are. You don't think that the portion of the NHS budget occupied by such people would otherwise be diverted to something more critical? Doctors? Beds? Nursing-staff?

Well, unless I suddenly needed the entire NHS budget for a problem I had, I don't think this would be an issue... :P

I'm not even on about people who injure themselves in a car accident generally - yes, it was their own fault for getting into a car, but they hardly could have known that was going to happen. But you can't drive like the OP described and honestly think you'll manage it, can you?

Also, I don't think idiots shouldn't get NHS treatment. I just don't think they should expect any help they're not legally entitled to.

Abeille
You don't know the circumstances of why they were driving like that!!

For example I was always very safe on the road (country roads, little moped) until I actually had a crash. That day it would have looked like I was a right **** in what I was doing, did I not deserve help for that one time I made mistakes?

I don't care! :rolleyes: I find it very hard to work up sympathy for reckless drivers. I doubt their circumstances are worth my life (or perhaps theirs, for that matter).

What kind of mistake? A small mistake that you could normally get away with without crashing, or the kind that can't really lead to anything else? Because if it were the latter, I'd say probably not. I still would have helped you, because I have a conscience - but in your shoes I wouldn't have felt I should expect help.

Latest

Trending

Trending