The Student Room Group

How do you translate "has/have been" in French?!

I should know this but I am having a complete mind block! I'm doing a translation and it comes up a few times
In context:

"The unemployment rate in France has been unacceptably high for a very long time."

I have:
Le taux de chômage en France est trop haut depuis longtemps.

"Measures, which have been introduced to reduce it..."

I have:
Le mesures, qui étaient introduit pour le réduire....

"They have been helped considerably over the last fifteen years.."

I have:
Ils sont aidés considérablement depuis les dernières quinze ans....

I'm not sure what tense it is meant to be and does the tense change when a period of time is set after.... like "for a very long time" and "over the last fifteen years"?

Confused =S

Any help would be appreciated, translations give me such a headache!
Reply 1
starlight89
I should know this but I am having a complete mind block! I'm doing a translation and it comes up a few times
In context:

"The unemployment rate in France has been unacceptably high for a very long time."

I have:
Le taux de chômage en France est trop haut depuis longtemps.

"Measures, which have been introduced to reduce it..."

I have:
Les mesures, qui ont été introduites pour le réduire....

"They have been helped considerably over the last fifteen years.."

I have:
Ils ont été aidés considérablement depuis les dernières quinze ans....

I'm not sure what tense it is meant to be and does the tense change when a period of time is set after.... like "for a very long time" and "over the last fifteen years"?

Confused =S

Any help would be appreciated, translations give me such a headache!

That's how I'd write them. Am entirely unsure about the first one, but I believe that the others are in the passive voice, so...
Reply 2
Thank you! I get so confused with tenses :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I was told in a grammar lesson the other day that like in that sentence:

"...has been very high for a long time"

You use the present tense with depuis because the action is ongoing and incomplete as it level of unemployment is still very high...:s-smilie:

I think I'm gonna have to ask for help from my teacher! Im just gettin more and more confused!
Reply 4
for 'has been very high for a long time'...i would use 'a été inacceptablement haute depuis longtemps' because imo translating very doesn't give the same meaning as unacceptably
eeek we're practicing translations in class atm as well and i did my first interpreting paper today as well!
Reply 5
This is completely unrelated but how do you add that information under your posts? I can't find how to do it anywhere!
Reply 6
starlight89
This is completely unrelated but how do you add that information under your posts? I can't find how to do it anywhere!

Go here. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending