The Student Room Group

The Mother Of All Optometry Threads!

since thers no subforum for it! hopefully the admins can sticky this thread! this is for everyone applying to optometry and discuss all things optometric(?) where did you guys apply? got an interview? did work experience? etc. etc. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i do optometry!!!
Reply 2
what books are u getting? were from? and is ther ne way i can get them cheaper!!
Reply 3
Nandoz
what books are u getting? were from? and is ther ne way i can get them cheaper!!

you dont really need to buy any books. i stupidly bought some in my 1st year and they're brand new ive barely looked at em. Just borrow them from the library
Reply 4
Read signature! hehe!
Reply 5
phoenix2kx
Read signature! hehe!

good stuff... what uni would you like to go to??
Reply 6
my firm choice is probably going to be manchester and my insurance probably city! what about yourself?
Reply 7
phoenix2kx
my firm choice is probably going to be manchester and my insurance probably city! what about yourself?

im in 2nd year, at glasgow cale... why r u wanting to do optometry?
Reply 8
Erm, to be hoest with you just a personal desire that ive ha ever since i understood that my father suffers from photophobia associated with macular holes. I was initially going to apply to read medicine however i just felt life as a doctor may be a little more stressful than an optometrist. A jor point in influencing my decision was that having spoken to cousin borhter who's is a laser optometrist tha alot of is work stays at the office, quite alot like a 9-5 job , unline docotors for example who can be on call at any time.
Reply 9
-ch1ck-
im in 2nd year, at glasgow cale... why r u wanting to do optometry?

how are you finding 2nd year? im 2nd year at manchester and its way more complicated than 1st year
Reply 10
xbabydollx
how are you finding 2nd year? im 2nd year at manchester and its way more complicated than 1st year

i found that 1st year was a lot of theory and background maths n physics. whereas 2nd year is a lot more hands on and in the pre-clinic doin ret etc. it is more complicated but its more enjoyable in my opinion...

what kinda stuff are u doing this year?

iv got 3 exams, 1st one is this monday which leaves me wondering wtf im doing on here lol! hows studying going?
-ch1ck-

i found that 1st year was a lot of theory and background maths n physics. whereas 2nd year is a lot more hands on and in the pre-clinic doin ret etc. it is more complicated but its more enjoyable in my opinion...

what kinda stuff are u doing this year?

iv got 3 exams, 1st one is this monday which leaves me wondering wtf im doing on here lol! hows studying going?

we did ret in 1st year and doing opthalmoscopy now. i hate working with patients! they are soo akward! ive got 4 exams starting on the 14th not even started revising yet! not got any motivation. we start clinic work at the end of this year, right now we just work with old people.

still doing physics and loadsa physiology related stuff . have you done slit lamp yet?
Reply 12
xbabydollx
we did ret in 1st year and doing opthalmoscopy now. i hate working with patients! they are soo akward! ive got 4 exams starting on the 14th not even started revising yet! not got any motivation. we start clinic work at the end of this year, right now we just work with old people.

still doing physics and loadsa physiology related stuff . have you done slit lamp yet?

we had a module all about opthalmoscopy, tonometry (american optical is a bitc*) and visual fields.

then we'v got another module which carries on to next semester about refraction n clinical stuff.

nope, havnt done slit lamp yet- what about u?

we'r not doing any physics/maths anymore but we'r doin a lot of pathology- all about diabetes, hypersensitivity and thyroid disorders etc.

have u done any dispensing stuff? like types of lenses/coatings etc?

iv got an exam on mon, thurs n fri... then i get 2 weeks off- not sure if i prefer havin the holidays or havin my exams spread out...
-ch1ck-
we had a module all about opthalmoscopy, tonometry (american optical is a bitc*) and visual fields.

then we'v got another module which carries on to next semester about refraction n clinical stuff.

nope, havnt done slit lamp yet- what about u?

we'r not doing any physics/maths anymore but we'r doin a lot of pathology- all about diabetes, hypersensitivity and thyroid disorders etc.

have u done any dispensing stuff? like types of lenses/coatings etc?

iv got an exam on mon, thurs n fri... then i get 2 weeks off- not sure if i prefer havin the holidays or havin my exams spread out...

ye we started dispensing in 1st year and are doing it this year as well - its a pain, i hate the practicals they are sooo boring!

i think its better to have exams at once and then get some time of at the end. my last exams on friday 25th and then uni starts the monday after!:mad: ye we've dont slit lamp - we did it before tonometry.
do u enjoy the course tho? i think a lot of it is a waste of time!
Reply 14
xbabydollx
ye we started dispensing in 1st year and are doing it this year as well - its a pain, i hate the practicals they are sooo boring!

i think its better to have exams at once and then get some time of at the end. my last exams on friday 25th and then uni starts the monday after!:mad: ye we've dont slit lamp - we did it before tonometry.
do u enjoy the course tho? i think a lot of it is a waste of time!

yea, i do enjoy it- especially clinics cos thats kinda what we'l be doin once qualified n i like bein hands on.

but i have to agree with u and say a lot of it is useless information- im workin at an opticians n a lot of the optoms we have in have said that they didnt learn anything useful until their final year and then when they put it all in2 practice in pre-reg.

are u working anywhere?
-ch1ck-
yea, i do enjoy it- especially clinics cos thats kinda what we'l be doin once qualified n i like bein hands on.

but i have to agree with u and say a lot of it is useless information- im workin at an opticians n a lot of the optoms we have in have said that they didnt learn anything useful until their final year and then when they put it all in2 practice in pre-reg.

are u working anywhere?

no im hoping to get a job this summer tho, are you going to apply for them summer school placements? we do a hospital placement this summer too at Manchester eye hospital, which should be fun. i think next semester will be better cos then we learn about diseases, right now it just stupid and we do maths next semester too- statistical.

who do see in the clinics? all kinda patients? or are they volunteers?
Reply 16
xbabydollx

Hey how u finding manchester and the course especially now that you've been at the uni for a while. I've applied and got my offer for optometry at manchester (AAB) and its most likely going to be my firm.
Also im facing a predicament because i can't decide what to choose between Aston and City for my insurance. Im in bradford so aston is closer yet the soicla life at City is said to be better (obivously it's London). So if you have any friends that are there studying optometry or just have the information yourself from when you applied please do let me know, i would be ever so grateful!
Thankx
phoenix2kx
Hey how u finding manchester and the course especially now that you've been at the uni for a while. I've applied and got my offer for optometry at manchester (AAB) and its most likely going to be my firm.
Also im facing a predicament because i can't decide what to choose between Aston and City for my insurance. Im in bradford so aston is closer yet the soicla life at City is said to be better (obivously it's London). So if you have any friends that are there studying optometry or just have the information yourself from when you applied please do let me know, i would be ever so grateful!
Thankx

Manchester?Well i commute cos i only live 15mins away on train, but because the optometry department is on the UMIST campus and nearly everything else is on oxford road, its kinda hard mixing in. But we've got a new building, so when you start you'll be on oxford road which is way better at times.

The course? Well ive got friends doing the course at bradford, aston and anglia ruskin and they dont do half the stuff we do. They tend not to do as many practicals in the 1st and 2nd years, whereas at manchester we start practicals in the 1st week. Also you'll do a lot more maths and physics. Its a hard course, in the sense that you will have a reasonably packed out timetable and then have to do extra work. In 2nd year im having atleast 3 practicals at week in some weeks.

I dont know about city at all, so sorry i wont really be able to help you there. I didnt know the offers were AAB? i had it for ABB. Are you doing maths a- level?

edit - just read your sig. You're lucky youre doing maths at a-level- you only have to study one maths module in the 1st semester, whereas those who havent will have to study 1 in each semester.
Reply 18
Im doing maths chemistry biology...good for optometry?

Is optometry enjoyable. why?
Is the salary good? what pay?
is it a good field to go into.
bigster91
Im doing maths chemistry biology...good for optometry?

Is optometry enjoyable. why?
Is the salary good? what pay?
is it a good field to go into.

yep those a -levels are good for optometry - you'll need AAB-ABB grades for most unis. The salary is £32,000ish with D&A in your 1st year, but varies with different companies and whether you work in hospital or not.

Its quite enjoyable although i hate it at times. The practical side of it is very good, but the theory does get tedious and boring. Especially cos there's so much of it.

Quick Reply

Latest