The Student Room Group

The Mother Of All Optometry Threads!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ok, i just looked at my uni emails, and i have my optometry interview tomorrow at 9:30am.. TOMORROW! i think i'm gonna be sick, i only just found out. :eek: HELP!
Jozeesh
Ok, i just looked at my uni emails, and i have my optometry interview tomorrow at 9:30am.. TOMORROW! i think i'm gonna be sick, i only just found out. :eek: HELP!

noo dont be worried about it, just let your enthusiasm show in the interview and im sure you'll be okey! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Ahh thanks, i just can't quite take in that it's going to be tomorrow.. i don't feel prepared but will sort my head out tonight and try my best tomorrow. i'll let you know how it goes :eek:
Reply 43
...... i got in :biggrin: !!!

Thank you all so much for the advice and support!
Jozeesh
...... i got in :biggrin: !!!

Thank you all so much for the advice and support!

CONGRATS!!!!:biggrin: now enjoy yaself till september!!
Reply 45
Joey-cole
congrats and good luck :smile:

xbabydollx
CONGRATS!!!!:biggrin: now enjoy yaself till september!!

Thanks so much guys. i still can't quite believe it..

Joey-cole, the questions were more or less standard, e.g. "why do you want to do optometry?" and "do you have any optical experience?". The strangest one which almost left me speechless was something along the lines of.. "being an optometrist can be a tricky job, where you may have to deal with impatient people and maybe even drunks or people who have taken drugs, making it difficult to control them. how do you think you'd cope in that environment?"

It wasn't as scary as i thought though, and i was really shocked when they made their decision there and then. They even let me watch a student carry out a test on a child with downs syndrome in the uni clinic. Plus they said they can arrange more work experience for me there, and just to give them a call :smile: i feel so lucky..
Reply 46
which uni is this?
Reply 47
Portishead
which uni is this?

Cardiff :smile:
Reply 48
Is there actually anyone on TSR that's done optometry with a foundation year? The Cardiff website doesn't even mention the 4 year course, so i kind of have no idea what i'm going to be learning in the foundation year :s-smilie: My admissions tutor just said 'basic science'...

Anyone out there who can shed some light on this?
Jozeesh
Is there actually anyone on TSR that's done optometry with a foundation year? The Cardiff website doesn't even mention the 4 year course, so i kind of have no idea what i'm going to be learning in the foundation year :s-smilie: My admissions tutor just said 'basic science'...

Anyone out there who can shed some light on this?

i know people who've done science foundation year but then have gone onto do different courses. its basically a course for people with no science a-levels, or those people with low grade science a-levels. Its consists of a-level sciences including maths, having said that though i think different unis teach it slightly different and some content will be more advanced than a-level.
To sum it up, you'll be learning what a-level students have 2 years to do, except you'll have to do it in a year.:smile:
Reply 50
xbabydollx
i know people who've done science foundation year but then have gone onto do different courses. its basically a course for people with no science a-levels, or those people with low grade science a-levels. Its consists of a-level sciences including maths, having said that though i think different unis teach it slightly different and some content will be more advanced than a-level.
To sum it up, you'll be learning what a-level students have 2 years to do, except you'll have to do it in a year.:smile:

Ah.. sounds fun :wink:

Nah it'll be nice to learn about sciencey things again :p:
Reply 51
anybody know the starting salary for new opticians?
i think i read somewhere its about £32000, thats after pre reg obv.

can any1 tell me how much maths and physics is involved in an optometry degree? and whether its difficult-seen as im not a mathsy-type person.
Reply 53
out of interest what subjects do you need in order to do optometry, I did bio chem and eng.
joan_mumby
out of interest what subjects do you need in order to do optometry, I did bio chem and eng.

u need 2 out of - bio, chem, physics or maths. and then one other 'academic' subject.
whats the maths content like in a optom degree? is it really difficult?
work_til_failure
whats the maths content like in a optom degree? is it really difficult?

at manchester you do maths over 2 years, in the 1st year its pure maths and 2nd year its stats. If you've done a level maths then you do the 1 semester module, if not the you're put on the 2 semester module. Then in the2nd year everyone does the same module. The maths is pretty difficult because they're putting the whole a-level syllable in 24 weeks of teaching. You have to keep on top of the work otherwise you'll struggle, especially if you haven't done maths alevel.
Reply 57
What are the pros and cons of studying optometry. is the salary good.
xbabydollx
at manchester you do maths over 2 years, in the 1st year its pure maths and 2nd year its stats. If you've done a level maths then you do the 1 semester module, if not the you're put on the 2 semester module. Then in the2nd year everyone does the same module. The maths is pretty difficult because they're putting the whole a-level syllable in 24 weeks of teaching. You have to keep on top of the work otherwise you'll struggle, especially if you haven't done maths alevel.

What if your not really good at maths and dont do well in the maths modules ie you fail, but pass the all other modules, could you still qualify to become an optometrist?
work_til_failure
What if your not really good at maths and dont do well in the maths modules ie you fail, but pass the all other modules, could you still qualify to become an optometrist?

no to carry on through to the next year you have to pass all the modules ie get atleast 40% in all modules.

Quick Reply

Latest