The Student Room Group
Reply 1
.....what is your first language? Might be a bit more helpful if we know that :smile:
W isn't actually a consonant sound, just a very sped up ooo-ahh, whereas v is made with the lips, similar to a f.

MB
Reply 3
Hm...I don't see how it's possible to explain the difference between the two on here, but I'll try.

For a w, which I'm assuming you know how to pronounce, you make an 'oo' sound, then very quickly widen your mouth.

V is more like the position of a mouth before you whistle, which is then widened - with upper teeth touching the inner lower lip.
Reply 4
Is anyone else sitting in front of their computer making over-pronounced 'W's and 'V's at the screen?
Reply 5
Aspect
Is anyone else sitting in front of their computer making over-pronounced 'W's and 'V's at the screen?

I did to try and build up my explanation, yes. Was watching myself in the mirror too. :p:
Reply 6
Aspect

I'm making musicbloke's "ooh-ahh" sound... "ooh-ahh-hen"....
Reply 7
Aspect

Yes :biggrin:
Reply 8
Ah, I'm doing it too. :biggrin: I never thought of the letter in the way musicbloke put it... it always just happened.
Reply 9
Aspect

haha woops! I kinda get it now. 'V' is much 'harder' than the softer 'W'... I think.
Reply 10
spamking
haha woops! I kinda get it now. 'V' is much 'harder' than the softer 'W'... I think.

Yeah, it should be if you're doing it right so you probably are.
Reply 11
musicbloke
W isn't actually a consonant sound, just a very sped up ooo-ahh, whereas v is made with the lips, similar to a f.

MB

Same with Y: 'eee-uhh'.

Also, 'pronounciation' is not a word.
Reply 12
Hehe my grandmother talks like that (Hungarian)

When is the van coming? = Ven ees de ven comeeng?
Reply 13
w --> rounded lips both lips slightly touch each other but leaving a small gap in the middle

v --> upper teeth touch lower lip and then simply blow air I guess :p:

hope that helped.

if not and you want to get more linguistic about it try googling :

w-voiced-approximant-bilabial

v- unvoiced-fricative-labio dental

those are the exact type/manner and place of articulation of both the English sounds.
Reply 14
^^^ aha another linguist!

We sit in class making these weird noises all the time in phonetics. I would say that the class next door probably thinks we're mad, but seeing as our building is Linguistics and Chinese Studies only, chances are next door's students are probably linguists too :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending