The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
keithy
do people from different colleges mix much?, or is it mostly within colleges?

Well...all the teaching is done on a university level....so while you live with other people in your college in halls or whatever....you'll mix with people from all other colleges.

G
Reply 21
MadNatSci
My best friends in the world ever are at university and I didn't become friends with them really til part way through Michaelmas - some of them I didn't meet until Easter Term!

Thanks Nicky! :biggrin: This is entirely true - a couple of people in our friendship group didn't appear fully until later Michaelmas. On the other hand, my best friends also include the people I spoke to before coming up and the people I met punting on the second day of freshers' week. Don't worry about losing touch with your friends - my best friends from school are at Newnham and New Hall but we're still best friends. Admittedly it helps that we all do History, but that's not the most sociable subject and we do different periods.

All of the freshers will be in the same boat, so just smile, be friendly and put up with the boring "getting to know you" spiel. The best thing to do is to go out at do things (club nights, punting, kickabouts) so that you've got shared memories to discuss. Oh, and take it from the voice of experience, political debates on the first night are really NOT a good idea... Besides politics I seem to recall all the guys talking about who'd passed their driving tests. Another bit of advice: freshers' week romances are a Bad Thing. You don't want to get yourself a reputation and if it doesn't work out you've spent an awful lot of time with just one person. There's plenty of time for that sort of thing! :wink:
Ticki
Admittedly it helps that we all do History, but that's not the most sociable subject and we do different periods.

ARggghh !! :eek: I get surprised everytime - altho you've told me that before... :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Sorry! Arts subjects don't have as many shared lectures/labs etc. But we do have lots of tea-drinking time in college. Historians also have one-on-one supervisions and college run seminars (so at Sidney this is a group of 8) so there's not much opportunity to meet others unless you intend to go to all of your lectures. Even then I sat with the other Sidneyites - people weren't really that friendly. One guy I sat next to actually snorted at my notes! I won't reveal which college scarf he was wearing... :rolleyes:
Ticki
Sorry! Arts subjects don't have as many shared lectures/labs etc. But we do have lots of tea-drinking time in college. Historians also have one-on-one supervisions and college run seminars (so at Sidney this is a group of 8) so there's not much opportunity to meet others unless you intend to go to all of your lectures. Even then I sat with the other Sidneyites - people weren't really that friendly. One guy I sat next to actually snorted at my notes! I won't reveal which college scarf he was wearing... :rolleyes:

Hehe the tea-drinking sounds good to me !!! Oh, and if I meet that sort of person you just mentioned - well, I'll be nice, but if they carry on with their narrowminded arrogance, I'll dance all over them *figuratively of course* :mad: God that sort of thing just riles me up :mad: ... I hope Fitz isn't full of people like that :biggrin:
Reply 25
gzftan
No..still no freshers pack for me :frown:

G

i wanna know what my accomodation is like....I'm in north court, which was built in the 1930's....however, the part I've been put in is the cloisters, which apparently only got done up for accomodation purposes in the 1970's. I'm worried...cloisters sounds like a very....small word.
Reply 26
keithy
do people from different colleges mix much?, or is it mostly within colleges?

I hope to goodness there is lots of inter-college mixing!!
I'll need somewhere to escape when all the door slamming antics begin! :tongue:

I'm more concerned I'll forget who I've made friends with! Stupid as it sounds I have possibly the world's worst short term memory, I'm worried I'll have spent loads of time with a group of people and then days/hours later totally ignore them as I can't remember ever speaking to them! It's not just a case of names to faces, I really am hopeless! So many times at parties this year I've asked (out of interest) which school they go to and they've answered (in sheer shock!) that they go to mine...and it's not a big school!! One bloke used to use the same bus stop as me for years!
Katie J
So many times at parties this year I've asked (out of interest) which school they go to and they've answered (in sheer shock!) that they go to mine...and it's not a big school!! One bloke used to use the same bus stop as me for years!

:eek: lol i bet he did feel like crap !
Reply 28
Counterpoint
:eek: lol i bet he did feel like crap !

He didn't think I was serious at first! I felt terrible, it's not like it was the first time I've said something like that either! Friends round here are all giving me photos of themeselves so I don't forget who they are when I come back! :tongue:
Maybe I should get one of those camera phones and just take pictures of everyone I meet and store basic information about them...
Katie J
He didn't think I was serious at first! I felt terrible, it's not like it was the first time I've said something like that either! Friends round here are all giving me photos of themeselves so I don't forget who they are when I come back! :tongue:
Maybe I should get one of those camera phones and just take pictures of everyone I meet and store basic information about them...

Lol, just go around leaving clues like the film Memento.

"Old bald guy; that's my Director of Studies"

*turns around and sees tattoo on her back in the mirror* Watch out for the guy with the tash; freaky man.
:rolleyes:

***EDIT***

Actually I watched this program about these people who suffer from this condition, where they cannot remember faces AT ALL - so there's this guy who sees his daughter everday, but if she doesn't remind him of who she is, he'll just pass her by, or ignore her. I felt really bad for that person, and the people around him.
Reply 30
Willla2
i wanna know what my accomodation is like....I'm in north court, which was built in the 1930's....however, the part I've been put in is the cloisters, which apparently only got done up for accomodation purposes in the 1970's. I'm worried...cloisters sounds like a very....small word.

I'm sure it's gonna be nice anyway....emma is a beautiful college...i just want my freshers pack first!!! Then i'll worry about how good or bad the accommodation is!! :tongue:

G
Willla2

Older rooms are often (though not always) bigger! Size probably won't be a problem. Though going by the experience of a friend at Tit Hall, draughts and damp might be!
Reply 32
i wish i was a kings second year student now...spalding accom is such a nice place!

and by drafts...are you applying that to cloisters in general?
Willla2
i wish i was a kings second year student now...spalding accom is such a nice place!

and by drafts...are you applying that to cloisters in general?

Nope, but cloisters implies (though doesn't necessarily mean) old and older rooms are sometimes draughty. Be warned!
Reply 34
*cries*.....it cant be too bad, it's a grade 4 room....which from what I can gather is the middle standard room....i just hope i have: 1) A sink, 2) Enough space to put all my stuff and still move around.
Willla2
*cries*.....it cant be too bad, it's a grade 4 room....which from what I can gather is the middle standard room....i just hope i have: 1) A sink, 2) Enough space to put all my stuff and still move around.

Nah, it'll be great! Draughts are easily dealt with and you'll have plenty of room, and almost certainly a sink. I'd give my right arm to have an old pretty room - that's proper Cambridge, that is...
Well I hope I make some freinds. I never had any through secondary school or sixth form. On the other hand if I don't have friends it will probably encourage me to get on with my work.

MB
Reply 37
if i had a name like Jacob, I wouldnt have thought finding friends would be hard! Jacob is such a cool name...much better than boring old William

Although your bros name is even cooler...sorry
Willla2
if i had a name like Jacob, I wouldnt have thought finding friends would be hard! Jacob is such a cool name...much better than boring old William

Although your bros name is even cooler...sorry

in waht way is it cool? It means "holder of the heel". Great, I have to spendd eternity holding some smelly foot.

MB
Im just hopinh theres no awkward silences, or making a fool of yourself 1st time u meet lol. would be a bad way to start methinks

Latest

Trending

Trending