The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd say it reflects a mood (ie you shout when you're angry, listen to sad songs when you're sad...) and it can have different colours which you only see in your mind. I guess the mood explanation doesn't cover everything though. An ambulance noise is not exactly a mood is it :s-smilie:
Reply 2
You don't. You can't. They have no reference point. You can't say "it's like sight but louder."
in symphonie pastorale, the man wants to explain colours to a blind girl. He says the colours are like the different notes in music, all different shades which can come in various intensities. I think that could work the other way round but i'm not sure. It certainly would give a flavour as to how differnt different sounds are from each other...
Reply 4
i wouldnt bother - ill use the example of sight just because its easier for people to visualise (no pun intended).

If you are born blind, its not as if you "see" just pure black / 'nothing' like you have your eyes closed.

Its not even as if you had sight then went blind - at least then your brain could comprehend what you were missing

you have *no* concept of sight, its so wierd i'd love to know what that was like...for like 5 seconds then i'd get bored
Reply 5
If I had to describe it it to a deaf person (you can describe it after all, you just can't explain it), I would mention that sound is the way an object announces itself in your head without you necessairily having to see it. The bigger and more fierce the object (or the more energy it has), the more likely it is to announce itself in your head in a larger way compared to something that is smaller and less fierce.

But they would of course look at me blankly and confused, what with them not being able to hear me and all.

Latest

Trending

Trending