The Student Room Group

Panic about the SAQ here!

Looking over the forum, half of it seems to be taken up with questions about the SAQ. So, in order to spare the sanity of older members (i.e. the people you actually want answering your questions!) I've formed this. All new threads started on this topic will be either closed or merged as I see most appropriate.

Can I, however, ask for at least a teeny weeny bit of common sense when it comes to these things though? Ask yourself if you really think it's that important before making a tit of yourself on here...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good initiative.:smile:
Reply 2
Excellent :smile:
Do all colleges/subjects send out SAQs to all applicants? Just wondering.
Reply 4
Yes
Reply 5
i was wonderin weather to put down the module titles but even for as grades iv'e already got? i wann just write full as syllabus. plus for maths ill just be writing core 1, core 2, not too helplful for them
Great start.

That would have been another topic.

:s
Reply 7
Just put down roughly all the areas covered i.e. calculus, algebra, functions. If they want to know more they'll ask! :smile:
Reply 8
Could the same thing be done for questions about written work i.e create a special thread for that?
Or have all needlessly small queries about the application process in one mega thread.

With lots of exclamation marks, because you know people don't bother using their eyes.
Reply 10
The bit where it asks if my school offers a STEP preparation or Advanced Extension Award. I don't know if my school does offers AEA, but I haven't heard about it. When it says 'please specify" I'll just put "1 hour STEP lesson per fortnight". Since I'm applying for Biological natural sciences I don't think it's relevant to me.
Have I got that all right?
Reply 11
You shouldn't put down any information about AEA or STEP unless you are going to be taking it.
Reply 12
It just asks if my school/college offers it.
Reply 13
But if you're not going to take it, then what's the point putting it down?
Reply 14
I guess they'll just pay little attention to it, except take the fact that my school offers it into account.
Actually...could I just leave it blank? Would I get an email saying I hadn't filled that bit in?
Reply 15
Of course not. Feel free to leave anything blank.

My point is that if you fill that box in then they may assume that you're planning to do it, which could lead to some embaressing questions at interview.
Reply 16
How about I mention that my school offers it, but say in the "General - Is there anything else not already on your application that you would like us to know" section that I'm not planning on taking it?
I would ask how I should word that bit to make it clear it's not a bad aspect of me, but that's setting off 'you're worring too much - they probably don't care' alarms. :p:
another petty question
does it matter whether you type your SAQ and email it, or scan and then email it?
the former would be neater, while the latter corresponds to the original structure of the SAQ
You are supposed to sign it.. so scanning it seems the best choice
Reply 19
I thought you sent it in the mail.

Latest