The Student Room Group

Best and Worst places to live in London?

Which are the best and worst places to live in London? And why?

All comments welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What exactly do you want from a place to live? There are many good places, but as they say: one persons heaven is another persons hell!
Best: Camden!
Worst: Peckham/Lewisham. Horrible place.
Best-probably somewhere posh like Hampstead, or maybe Bloomsbury which is lovely. Most of London has scummy areas though.
Reply 4
I'd disagree with Camden, for the most part it's a drug riddled, violent hell hole.

In short, the best place to live in London is anywhere you can't afford.

Although I'd agree with NS and suggest Hampstead or Dulwich - still within London, but not really London.

The problem is that you will find nice areas in Whitechapel or Brixton and crap areas within Bloomsbury or Notting Hill.
Renal
I'd disagree with Camden, for the most part it's a drug riddled, violent hell hole.

In short, the best place to live in London is anywhere you can't afford.

Although I'd agree with NS and suggest Hampstead or Dulwich - still within London, but not really London.

The problem is that you will find nice areas in Whitechapel or Brixton and crap areas within Bloomsbury or Notting Hill.

I have a relative that lives in hampstead garden suburb. Pretty nice. I only went through Camden once, I know its trendy but it did my head in, so overcrowded and claustrophobic.
fake plastic love
Best: Camden!
Worst: Peckham/Lewisham. Horrible place.

Any idea what rent's like (or how it varies) in Camden? Is that where you are from?
I live in Waterloo and it's amazing. I can walk to Covent Garden in less than fifteen minutes. It doesn't get much better...

Anywhere in zone 1 is a winner, really. Other than that, in North London, Hampstead and Maida Vale are great. In west London, North Kensington/Ladbroke Grove are good because they're close to Notting Hill, but with more reasonable prices. In South London, the South bank (as close to the river as possible) is great, and the area around Clapham Junction is quite trendy and pleasant with lots of shops, cafes, and restaurants. I'm afraid I don't know of any nice places in East London.

The most important thing is being near a tube station. Try to live no more than 10 minutes walk from the nearest station.

Any idea what rent's like (or how it varies) in Camden? Is that where you are from?

My friends shared an ex-council flat just a few minutes from Mornington Crescent for about 100/week each.
hermaphrodite
Any idea what rent's like (or does it how vary) in Camden? Is that where you are from?

I live right on the camden/islington border, but I spend the majority of time in Camden. As for rent, it completely varies. Primrose Hill will obviously be obscene, but somewhere like Kentish Town you could get ver reasonable. Its got pretty bad crime, but the links to the rest of the city are brilliant, good schools etc.
Reply 9
Depends really, cheap food, good times = East London, maybe some violence, but thats anywhere these days...

A good shoot out and drive by's = Hackney (Fellows Court)

Great architechture (T.Bridge, Tower of London etc etc) = Tower Hill
I live in bloomsbury, next to UCL. It is the ****.
fake plastic love
I live right on the camden/islington border, but I spend the majority of time in Camden. As for rent, it completely varies. Primrose Hill will obviously be obscene, but somewhere like Kentish Town you could get ver reasonable. Its got pretty bad crime, but the links to the rest of the city are brilliant, good schools etc.

I went into Camden and Camden Market on Thursday and I liked the place. Very fast, busy and bustling (how I like it) and has all the local amenities you would take for granted. I didn't travel on the tube on thursday so I could see how the place was really like.

But with Camden being in the centre of London I just immediately thought it's gonna be way too expensive . . . so I would need to consider something which isn't so close to the centre but slightly further out.
Mos Def
Depends really, cheap food, good times = East London, maybe some violence, but thats anywhere these days...

What's Bethnal Green like!!! I wanted pop down there when I was in London, but didn't have the time!! (And is Tower Hamlets really as bad as people make it out; I'm sure it's not??)
supernova2
I live in bloomsbury, next to UCL. It is the ****.

How much rent are you paying there? :smile: And what's the average like?
Reply 14
Mos Def

Ditto, you just gotta love East London

But hackneys not full of criminals lol, there are nice places to live down there but rather chavvy imo
Reply 15
hermaphrodite
What's Bethnal Green like!!! I wanted pop down there when I was in London, but didn't have the time!! (And is Tower Hamlets really as bad as people make it out; I'm sure it's not??)

Bethnal Green is ok, loads of curry houses down bricklane and near the city as well
no hero in her sky
I live in Waterloo and it's amazing. I can walk to Covent Garden in less than fifteen minutes. It doesn't get much better...

Anywhere in zone 1 is a winner, really. Other than that, in North London, Hampstead and Maida Vale are great. In west London, North Kensington/Ladbroke Grove are good because they're close to Notting Hill, but with more reasonable prices. In South London, the South bank (as close to the river as possible) is great, and the area around Clapham Junction is quite trendy and pleasant with lots of shops, cafes, and restaurants. I'm afraid I don't know of any nice places in East London.

The most important thing is being near a tube station. Try to live no more than 10 minutes walk from the nearest station.

My friends shared an ex-council flat just a few minutes from Mornington Crescent for about 100/week each.

Thanks for your input no hero. very useful info. thanks. how comes you don't know any good places in East London? Is that just 'cos you've not been there?
I used to live in Maida Vale and fell in love with it. Absolutely my first choice when I next move.

I've also lived in Angel and Waterloo. Angel was a complete hole and is massively overrated and overpriced. Waterloo is nice enough, and super convenient as a location, but fairly unattractive architecturally.
Thanks Goose. the name "Maida Vale" sounds posh? Is it posh? (let me just go consult wiki aswell)
Reply 19
i was in a four bedroom flat with living room and access to a garden in camden, on camden road, no less. 105 per week for me with the three others, without bills. not bad, i'm told, for camden. never had an ounce of problem with crime there, but we were lucky.

camden is a great place to live, like. good travel links, shops, 24/7 tescos, well there was beside us, etc. however, most of the market has gone so i'm not sure how much i'll like it now.

bloomsbury is good but can be expensive as it is so close to the centre of london, my mate was paying over 150 a week there.

Quick Reply

Latest