The Student Room Group

Best and Worst places to live in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hermaphrodite
Which are the best and worst places to live in London? And why?

All comments welcome.

Best: Inner and Outer West London, including Westminister and the City.
Worse: Inner East and Southeast and Outer Northeast.

There are exceptions, for example LB of Brent in West London include some rough areas.

Why? Poverty. Historically, East has been more working class with the docks and social housing overspill.
Original post by Jackb95
Best: I currently live in Chingford in North East London and I find it a rather charming and bustling area, especially North Chingford. When you stroll down Station Road, there are various supermarkets, restaurants, cafes and a post office, plus the station itself which takes you through Walthamstow Central, Hackney Downs and Liverpool Street in the course of 25 minutes. However, South Chingford isn't as charming, but the obsolete dog track is pretty nice to gaze at on a Summer's Day. Chingford Mount divides the city into those two areas and the high street there also caters to everybody's needs with a Sainsbury's, a Costa Coffee shop, a Greggs, a KFC etc. However, neighbouring parts such as Walthamstow, Leyton and Leytonstone are about as enticing as a discarded chicken carcass. Be warned.

Worst: Everywhere in Newham is outstandingly abysmal. From East Ham to Canning Town, I often see a look of despair on the residents there. Forest Gate and Plaistow exemplify this as I was originally born in Newham General and spent a year of my life living along Woodgrange Road. I still visit my Nan there on numerous occasions and I'm always greeted with the usual pungent smell of fried chicken and car exhuasts. I often persevere against the stickiness of the gob across the pavement and the notorious crack heads, rapists and potential murderers that emerge in the after hours. Barking Road in Plaistow is strikingly similar. Being a 'prowpa East Enda', I'd only recommend Newham if you are fond of urban decay.

LOL I live in Newham :frown:
Original post by amineamine2
LOL I live in Newham :frown:

At least you have the nice Westfield at Stratford :wink:.

A bit of an old thread, but interesting none the less. I don't particularly like Wood Green, but that's because when I visited the main road was very busy and full of police seemingly questioning people and groups of drunken youths loitering on the streets in the early afternoon.

Best place - anywhere central because then if you don't like where you are you can easily go somewhere else :biggrin:.
Personally don't see the attraction of living in actual London. It is a rip off for what you get. My friends mum brought her a 1 bed flat near Mornington Crescent in a block of ex council flats for £350,000.

I have a friend who lives in Kingston upon Thames- pays £400 a month for a nice 1 bed flat in a OK area. She pays £200 in a commute- rail and Oyster card.
Original post by Sky_Dream
At least you have the nice Westfield at Stratford :wink:.

A bit of an old thread, but interesting none the less. I don't particularly like Wood Green, but that's because when I visited the main road was very busy and full of police seemingly questioning people and groups of drunken youths loitering on the streets in the early afternoon.

Best place - anywhere central because then if you don't like where you are you can easily go somewhere else :biggrin:.

My brother lived in Wood Green on a internship year.

Within 10 minutes of moving in, someone was shot at the end of the road.

So...yeah.
Original post by bitsandbows
My brother lived in Wood Green on a internship year.

Within 10 minutes of moving in, someone was shot at the end of the road.

So...yeah.

Oh no! I didn't see anything like that but I didn't get a particularly good vibe from the area.

Did your brother stay there for the whole year?
I lived in Barnet from 2004 to 2006 and am completely indifferent about it. Probably because i didn't get London weighting in my wage and had to support myself on 10k/yr so couldn't afford to go anywhere.

I did some locum work in London 2 years ago. I was originally supposed to be going to Richmond with accommodation opposite Richmond Park. I was really looking forward to it and a week before it was changed to forest Gate and I got worried. However I had the best time, met lovely people, made a friend for life and was able to embrace the London transport system. It's what you make of it wherever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Brixton, camden, pekham, hackney, newham

Edit: Stonebridge and Lewisham
(edited 11 years ago)
By no means the best place to live, but a location getting undeserved stick is Leytonstone in East London.

Fair enough, the half that borders Stratford is rough as a badger's arse, but the bit near Whipps Cross roundabout and Epping Forest is pretty good.

The high street boasts loads of pubs (including a Wetherspoons and O'Neills), some of which you won't get bottled in. It also has a huge Tesco, Boots, Argos, Matalan, quite a few banks and a handful of respectable small businesses.
Reply 89
I'm going on placement and will be working really close to London Bridge. Does anywhere know where will either be cheap but within zone 2 for commuting, or within walking distance (1.5 miles ish) for a bit more? Looking to spend up to £600pcm and there are two of us at the moment. Just don't know where is rough and where has the good nightlife - seems the two are always close.
Going to be spending the summer working and living in Camden. Hopefully will be able to take advantage of such a wonderfully diverse area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best is probably somewhere like Hampstead, Bloomsbury and Crouch End.

Worst I'd say Tottenham.
Reply 92
I live in Putney, t'is small, vibrant and by the river. Good travel links, recreational areas and restaurants so yah, not bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending