The Student Room Group

A-Level AQA Chemistry Papers 1 & 2 combined Grade Boundary Predictions for an A Grade

Poll

Added together Papers 1 & 2 Grade Boundary Preditions for an A

Keep in mind, to get an A, you need to score a certain mark out of 298. There no longer are UMS marks given per paper.

E.G. If an A is 225/298 and you score 70/103 paper 1, & 70/105 in paper 2, you would need 85/90 in paper 3 for an A overall.

So, based on the first 2 papers, how many marks do you think will be an A, so out of 208, so we are not including paper 3 as it hasn't been done yet, and from this, we can figure out how well everyone feels the papers have gone, in a more numerical form, rather than simply stating whether you found it easy, hard very hard etc, as everyone has their own definition of what is 'easy.'

June 2016, unit 4 for AQA was 76/100 for an A (A* being 83 marks) & unit 5 for AQA was 78/100 (A* bieng 86/100)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by darsh shah
Keep in mind, to get an A, you need to score a certain mark out of 298. There no longer are UMS marks given per paper.

E.G. If an A is 225/298 and you score 70/103 paper 1, & 70/105 in paper 2, you would need 85/90 in paper 3 for an A overall.

So, based on the first 2 papers, how many marks do you think will be an A, so out of 208, so we are not including paper 3 as it hasn't been done yet, and from this, we can figure out how well everyone feels the papers have gone, in a more numerical form, rather than simply stating whether you found it easy, hard very hard etc, as everyone has their own definition of what is 'easy.'

June 2016, unit 4 for AQA was 76/100 for an A (A* being 83 marks) & unit 5 for AQA was 78/100 (A* bieng 86/100)

I think I got 47/105 paper 1 and 53 /105 in paper 2 what mark in paper 3 do I need to get to get a decent grade.
Reply 2
Original post by Booklover99
I think I got 47/105 paper 1 and 53 /105 in paper 2 what mark in paper 3 do I need to get to get a decent grade.

Depends what you would call decent. So, based on difficulty of this years paper (from reviews from my college, as well as a couple others within my area), compared to last years (A2) paper, plus the fact that this is a new specification, i would guess:
A* being 240/298
A being 220/298
B being 200/298
C being 180/298
D being 165/298
E being 130/298

So to get a C, I'd say you need to really ace the third paper, scoring about 89% in that paper.

Also, these are estimated grade boundaries (obviously) and i could be wrong, and they may be significantly lowered as this essentially is the first new A2 specification. However, i don't personally feel they will be any higher.

I've based my estimations on about 200-300 odd people, plus the poll as it currently stands, as well as a comparison of last years A2 papers compared to ours, the grade boundaries for last year and the fact that we are the first of a new spec.

I hoped this helped
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4791370&p=72274262&page=6#post72274262

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME FOR THE PAPER

Personally, I dont agree completely with the markscheme, but people have made corrections throughout the thread; though i may just be completely wrong with the exam, as i did find it incredibly more difficult than i had presumed that i would find it.
Reply 4

I think I got 75/103 in paper 1 and 85/105 in paper 2, what do you think I need for an A and an A* in paper 3?
Reply 5
Original post by Adz777
I think I got 75/103 in paper 1 and 85/105 in paper 2, what do you think I need for an A and an A* in paper 3?

Using the same sort of predictions i had made earlier, i would presume approximated 80/90 - 89% for an A* is required, and 60/90 - 67% for an A.

Again, approximations, but if you feel your paper 2 did go very well, then i believe that you can get an A*.

This is mainly due to a gut feeling of a lot of organic appearing in paper 3 ( about 30 marks i think) along side a lot of practical questions (this paper will most likely consist of at least 40 marks worth of practicals).
Reply 6

This is a new spec don't forget so the grade boundaries for the old spec do not give am accurate guide at all. The percentage for an A in AS last year was about 64% so its more likely to be closer to that. You never know though... :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by 09emmhar
This is a new spec don't forget so the grade boundaries for the old spec do not give am accurate guide at all. The percentage for an A in AS last year was about 64% so its more likely to be closer to that. You never know though... :dontknow:

If you do recall though, last year, our AS papers was incredibly more difficult than this years papers
Reply 8
is the A* grade also determined the same way as the A grade? So like getting a certain mark out of 298 or the old 90% in each paper?
Reply 9
Original post by xoxox!
is the A* grade also determined the same way as the A grade? So like getting a certain mark out of 298 or the old 90% in each paper?

Don't have to get 90% for A*. I think its like 5% of applicants given A*, so proportionate to that.

So you need a certain number of marks out of 298.
I think I got 50/103 in paper 1 and 75/105 in paper 2... I need a B, how well do I have to do in paper 3, and any advice on revising for paper 3 so I can do really well in it?
Reply 11
Original post by clare.chummun
I think I got 50/103 in paper 1 and 75/105 in paper 2... I need a B, how well do I have to do in paper 3, and any advice on revising for paper 3 so I can do really well in it?

Obviously give paper 3 your best, just aim as high as you can, i personally would say have a base mark of getting at least 75 marks out of the 90 marks possible.

In terms of revision go over Organic again, learn all practicals, including calorimetry, Reflux, fractional distillation etc. Then go over physical chemistry.

Focus on those 2 more than inorganic, but dont leave inorganic revision out.

Ensure you kno all mechanisms, including hydration and dehydration
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4791370&p=72274262&page=6#post72274262

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME FOR THE PAPER

Personally, I dont agree completely with the markscheme, but people have made corrections throughout the thread; though i may just be completely wrong with the exam, as i did find it incredibly more difficult than i had presumed that i would find it.

How comes u dont agree with my markscheme ??
Reply 13
Original post by BrumSoulja
How comes u dont agree with my markscheme ??

In all honesty, there was something before that i didnt agree with; however, looking at it now, besides it not being complete with every question, it does seem all fine, and the answers that you have posted, i fully agree with. Hence, i would retract my earlier statement. :smile:
In all honesty, there was something before that i didnt agree with; however, looking at it now, besides it not being complete with every question, it does seem all fine, and the answers that you have posted, i fully agree with. Hence, i would retract my earlier statement. :smile:

Safe safe keep it locked for paper 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending