The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Classics at Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi guys, I'm a first year Classical Civilisations student at Warwick, Feel free to ask me any questions, but make sure to quote me so it pops up in my inbox, otherwise I might forget to check back here.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 41
katesummer
Hey. Im interested in doing classical civilization at warwick. I don't know a great deal about the subjects within the modules on the classical civilization course, and was wondering if anyone who went on to do the course knew very little, or is it a course where mostly people who know a lot about it go and do it? I was also wondering if anyone could recommend any books that might be of interest to do with the content of the modules etc. The A levels i am doing are;

English Lit.
History.
Philosophy+Ethics.
Government+Politics
Critical Thinking (As only).

Do you think these would be suitable for the course. (I know they don't have any essential subjects) but was wondering if these would be a good lot to do.

Thanks guys. xx

Those are a very good selection of A-levels to go into Classical Civilisations with. I would suggest that before you start you have read Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid. Beyond that its all good helpful stuff.

In the first year, you do either Greek or Latin at a respective level, depending on your ability. Along with this you do Greek and Roman culture and society. You also get to choose between History or Philosophy as a fourth module.

I hope that anwsers your question.
Reply 42
Thank you very much!! :smile: x
Reply 43
I thought we might revive this thread as it's probably a bit out of date and there're not really helpful answers...
So any Warwick classicists around?
Tell us about your course :smile:
Reply 44
Hello there :smile:
I have an AAB offer from Warwick (and I had to get an extra A in a fourth AS level...but I've already got that so it's irrelevant) for Classics (Q800).
So my course is mostly language based :wink:
Warwick is my second choice Uni, but I'm waiting for Cambridge still...so if I get rejected Warwick will become my firm. Exciting! :biggrin:
Anyone else applying for my course?
Reply 45
Original post by Lelegeia
Hello there :smile:
I have an AAB offer from Warwick (and I had to get an extra A in a fourth AS level...but I've already got that so it's irrelevant) for Classics (Q800).
So my course is mostly language based :wink:
Warwick is my second choice Uni, but I'm waiting for Cambridge still...so if I get rejected Warwick will become my firm. Exciting! :biggrin:
Anyone else applying for my course?

Yes:biggrin: Congrats on your offer, I think you're the first classicist I see here.
I got an offer for Classics Q800 too! We might see each other next year:wink: Though I'm still waiting for three others and I wish you the best of luck for Cambridge. Do you know when you'll hear?
Where else did you apply?
Reply 46
Original post by Sappho
I got an offer for Classics Q800 too! We might see each other next year:wink:

Well done :biggrin: That would be great! Have you visited Warwick yet/are you going on one of their open days?

Original post by Sappho
Though I'm still waiting for three others and I wish you the best of luck for Cambridge. Do you know when you'll hear?
Where else did you apply?

Thanks! Cambridge send out the letters 1st class tomorrow, so I should hear on the 6th or 7th Jan :s-smilie:
I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bristol and Exeter and have offers from all but Cam and Bristol.
Ooh, which others have you applied for? :smile:
Reply 47
Well done :biggrin: That would be great! Have you visited Warwick yet/are you going on one of their open days?

No, I haven't visited yet. I'd like to, and if I accept the offer, I'll definitely visit the uni. Though I'm not sure whether I'll make it to an Open Day because I'm an international student and I'd have to fly to England to go there. Do you know when they'll take place?

Thanks! Cambridge send out the letters 1st class tomorrow, so I should hear on the 6th or 7th Jan :s-smilie:
I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bristol and Exeter and have offers from all but Cam and Bristol.
Ooh, which others have you applied for? :smile:

You must be so nervous... I know what it feels like, I applied to Oxford, but didn't get in after my interview. All the best for your application and I wish you good patience and nerves!
Apart from Oxford and Warwick, I've applied to Durham too, and to St Andrews and Edinburgh, but I haven't heard anything from those, only a rejection and reconsideration from Edinburgh.
I hope to hear from them soon so I can actually plan my summer and, yeah, my life:tongue:

What's your third choice then? I mean, if you put Warwick your firm, what would you make your insurance?

Why do you prefer Warwick about Durham? I actually don't know that much about Durham, so I'd really like to know what others think about it!:smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Sappho
Though I'm not sure whether I'll make it to an Open Day because I'm an international student and I'd have to fly to England to go there. Do you know when they'll take place?

I'm going to one on the 2nd Feb, but I think there are a couple of other dates later in the year...not sure when though!
Aha, I have stalked your profile and WOW :eek: you study a lot of languages! Jealous, haha; I've always wished that I had been taught to speak different languages when I was young (because apparently it's easier when you're really young..?)
I'm assuming you live in Germany - so yeah, flying over just for an open day does seem like a bit of a trek :rolleyes:

Original post by Sappho
You must be so nervous... I know what it feels like, I applied to Oxford, but didn't get in after my interview.

Oh that sucks :frown: yeah I know a lot of people who've applied to Oxford and been rejected. It's really harsh though if you come all the way for an interview and then don't get in!

Original post by Sappho
What's your third choice then? I mean, if you put Warwick your firm, what would you make your insurance?

Why do you prefer Warwick about Durham? I actually don't know that much about Durham, so I'd really like to know what others think about it!:smile:

Durham would be my insurance if Warwick becomes my firm :wink:
Umm, I like Warwick better for several reasons;
1. I've actually looked around Warwick already, during the Summer when there was pretty much no-one there, and I really felt comfortable. It had a nice atmosphere etc.
2. Durham is much further north and the weather will be worse, even though the city is pretty. Also, I've never visited so not sure if I'd feel happy there.
3. Probably most important; at Durham I have to share a room for one term during the first year. Call me shallow if you like, but I'm really not the sharing-a-room kind of person. I can envision myself sleeping in the library instead! :colondollar:
4. Oh! And this only really applies to my college (St Marys) but I only realised it was catered after I got an offer...and I'd really much prefer self-catered. (Again, perhaps a little shallow! Haha)

Is Warwick going to be your firm, do you think?
Reply 49
I'm going to one on the 2nd Feb, but I think there are a couple of other dates later in the year...not sure when though!
Aha, I have stalked your profile and WOW :eek: you study a lot of languages! Jealous, haha; I've always wished that I had been taught to speak different languages when I was young (because apparently it's easier when you're really young..?)
I'm assuming you live in Germany - so yeah, flying over just for an open day does seem like a bit of a trek :rolleyes:

Haha, I just can't get enough in terms of languages, I really enjoy them :love:

Oh that sucks :frown: yeah I know a lot of people who've applied to Oxford and been rejected. It's really harsh though if you come all the way for an interview and then don't get in!

I actually had a very nice time there and made friends with a couple of very friendly people. I certainly don't regret that I have applied. It is a pity, of course, but then, there are many other good unis, and apparently many other good classicists, which is good news:biggrin:
Btw, coming to England for that week was admittedly a rather small part of the effort I invested for my application to Oxford...

Is Warwick going to be your firm, do you think?

Oh, I see. Well, I suppose my decision about Durham will depend on the college as well, as I applied to Castle but they're already oversubscribed for Classics.

Actually I don't really know what I'll do with my choices. I want to wait until I have answers from all to do more detailed reserach on those who offer me a place and then decide.
But I also still consider staying in Germany, so you see I'm very undecided.
I'm not applying to Uni until later this year for 2012 entry, but I've been looking through everything now and I'm stuck between Warwick and Durham (still not sure about Oxford), but leaning towards Warwick because when I read the prospectus I really liked the sound of it, plus I'm not sure if I want to go as far North as Durham. Although I like the sound of Durham's library so much more, but I suppose I shouldn't really base my choice solely on that.

I was speaking to the school Latin teacher and she was saying that Warwick has the better teachers, but Durham has the better course (or something to that effect). I still have quite a few months to think about it though I guess...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by ZombieYoshi
I'm not applying to Uni until later this year for 2012 entry, but I've been looking through everything now and I'm stuck between Warwick and Durham (still not sure about Oxford), but leaning towards Warwick because when I read the prospectus I really liked the sound of it, plus I'm not sure if I want to go as far North as Durham. Although I like the sound of Durham's library so much more, but I suppose I shouldn't really base my choice solely on that.

I was speaking to the school Latin teacher and she was saying that Warwick has the better teachers, but Durham has the better course (or something to that effect). I still have quite a few months to think about it though I guess...

Ah I haven't been on for a while else I would have replied sooner :rolleyes:
I haven't visited Durham though I applied for it, but I've been to Warwick twice now, once in the summer when practically no-one was there (so self-toured) and once on a post-offer open day. Both times I though the place was really lovely and the mini-lectures I had were good too. I think the teaching-standard will be good, but what I like most is that there will be a lot of time for independent learning as well (I just don't really like having tonnes of set homework :rolleyes: )

Yeah I was trying to choose between Durham and Warwick too but Durham is very far north and so cold :frown: . My relatives live there too, and I didn't really want to be coddled so I chose Warwick as my insurance in the end.

Mm, Warwick's course (are you applying for Q800?) is a bit limited in that for Q800 you don't have any choice in the first year and very little choice in the second year. You also have to do a dissertation (oh excuse my spelling, I've been drinking :colondollar: so can't remember how things are meant to be spelt!) in the third year, though this could actually be quite a good thing and you can do it on anything you want! Also I talked to the language tutor when I went for the open day and asked whether I could just sit in on the lectures for the other ancient history/classical civilisation topics that I thought looked interesting, even if I couldn't take the exams in them because of the limited choice when you're studying Q800 and he said that that should be fine so long as you ask the lecturer first - so you can at least study whatever interests you, even if you don't end up taking an exam in it! :biggrin:

Ooh I don't envy you the fees for next year :/

Have you visited either of the universities yet?
(edited 13 years ago)
No, not yet. Although my school has a week coming up soon for Sixth Formers to go off to open days and things so I'll probably go to Warwick then, because I'd rather not go to the other side of the country (right down in the South West) just to visit Durham Uni.

Thanks for the information on the course too, although lately I've also been warming to the idea of History at SOAS and for some reason I've gone off Classics a bit and thinking of doing Classics as a second choice. But like I said in the previous post I still have months to work everything out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending