The Student Room Group

Gap Year Plans...

I want to take a gap year after A Levels. I hate doing A Levels but I don't want to drop out since I know I'm very capable of doing them and it would be a waste. So instead of going straight into Uni, mostly because I don't know what I want to do, I want to take a gap year.

Would it be a good idea to take wee courses in things like first aid etc.? Just so I have little qualifications in different things? Would look good for Unis, right? Also it would be quite sensible as well financially, right? ATM, I work part-time in B&Q for £5.61 p/h, which I think is kinda good for me. So if I went full time in there for year it would build up a good amount...

My only concern would be not wanting to go to Uni after the gap year... But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

What are your thoughts?

:smile:
sounds good to me
Reply 2
What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 3
kirstinx
What do you want to do at uni?

I don't know yet..
travelling
voluntary work
full time job?...(im hoping to try and get hca/receptionist stuff at hospital)

the courses sound like a good idea
Taking a first aid course/working for a year in B&Q is unlikely to boost your university application. It also will only fill a tiny portion of your year.

Universities want to see that you have used your time productively. Why not try something course related? That would boost your univeristy application, and your CV.

A little bit of travel perhaps?

In the meanwhile why not use your piano skills to better effect. You can get paid considerably more that £5ish per hour for playing the piano at functions or in restaurants.
Reply 6
I'm a bit of a quaification grabber, so I'm going to be doing a first aid course, getting my VHF radio license, etc. I shouldn't think Unis will take an awful lot of notice though.
Reply 7
Apply now for deffered entry to a course you could see yourself doing and unis that you 'may' like. Might be a bit hard if you have no clue what to do though.

Then If you're still not sure, decline all your offers and re-apply. At least then you can see if you would get into certain unis, then you still have the option to re-apply once you've thought through what you want to do.

Latest