The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LiL MiSs cHeEkY
yes i know not ALL asian families are like that hence teh use of typical as in most and you can't deny that because it's a known fact :p:
And yes i agree with 'I dont know why kids do it "just to make the parents happy"..i believe that just totally wrong..not to mention absolutely stupid!' it is really stupid as they ruin their lives doing something the possivbly hate or have no interest in:smile:
What about when making the parents happy = funding for university (it's very hard to get registered as self-supporting, esp. if you've just left school), a roof over your head in the vacations, the only way of remaining in the family ... ? I agree that doing what parents want rather than what you want is almost never the best solution long-term, but don't underestimate the enormous pressure that can be placed on one poor 17 year old.
Madprof
What about when making the parents happy = funding for university (it's very hard to get registered as self-supporting, esp. if you've just left school), a roof over your head in the vacations, the only way of remaining in the family ... ? I agree that doing what parents want rather than what you want is almost never the best solution long-term, but don't underestimate the enormous pressure that can be placed on one poor 17 year old.

that is so so true. my parents don't think i should be at university (for a variety of boring reasons) and won't give me a penny. you have NO idea how hard it is to live independently without support.
Madprof

yeh i know where your coming from, in the long run though it is most the time a bad idea...i understand what your trying to say though
Reply 23
This is a bit off topic but i was reading through the thread and got a bit worried. i have no savings or funds from parents to help me pay for uni? i was planning to use my student loan, government grants and a part time job to fund myself? is this unrealistic?
no certainly not...my bro and sis are both paying same way..plus the government only asks you to pay back what ever they have borrowed you when you get a decent paying job...nothing to worry about but i suppose you could do some research to make sure :smile:
Duckin
This is a bit off topic but i was reading through the thread and got a bit worried. i have no savings or funds from parents to help me pay for uni? i was planning to use my student loan, government grants and a part time job to fund myself? is this unrealistic?

it depends. how old are you? will your parents give you money? will you be assessed for a minimum loan? if so then it's hard work. feel free to pm me if you're worried about it.
It depends on exactly what brightstar said. If you'd get the full income assessed loan or something - you'd be ok.
Don't Medical Schools actively discourage part time jobs?
Reply 28
Some do although some just don't encourage getting a part time job, eg Liverpool say they won't supply references for part time jobs for medical students (i think? read it somewhere in the generic handbook or something)
sunspoon
Some do although some just don't encourage getting a part time job, eg Liverpool say they won't supply references for part time jobs for medical students (i think? read it somewhere in the generic handbook or something)

hah really?? my tutor gave me a reference. maybe faculty won't.
Reply 30
bright star
someone important knows you enough to give you a reference? you're lucky!
well, obviously all the things people have said about not following through with it if you don't want to are true. I just want to point out that you'd hardly changing your course to something like english, or sociology, that (in their ignorance) a pushy family would be unhappy with. I would have thought that maths and economic would be quite demanding enough; and it certainly has good employment prospects.
Saffie
someone important knows you enough to give you a reference? you're lucky!

we have a sharing caring faculty here. it's not my personal tutor though. i still haven't met her!! she's been on maternity leave since i started.... he's my first ever pbl tutor. he's like my personal tutor though. in fact i might ask faculty if he can be my official personal tutor. i'm sure if i ever needed to go to progress he'd say nicer things about me than anyone else.

the head of medical education is actually my pbl tutor at the moment too, so i guess that won't stand me in bad stead.... he seems to like me. if only because i told another member of my group that i wouldn't discuss animal testing anymore with them because they were quoting PETA.
Reply 33
bright star
we have a sharing caring faculty here. it's not my personal tutor though. i still haven't met her!! she's been on maternity leave since i started.... he's my first ever pbl tutor. he's like my personal tutor though. in fact i might ask faculty if he can be my official personal tutor. i'm sure if i ever needed to go to progress he'd say nicer things about me than anyone else.

the head of medical education is actually my pbl tutor at the moment too, so i guess that won't stand me in bad stead.... he seems to like me. if only because i told another member of my group that i wouldn't discuss animal testing anymore with them because they were quoting PETA.
no fair. We change PBL tutors quite a lot so they never get to know us. & We only meet our tutor twice (once in first year and once when choosing elective) unless we fail.

I've just got a new PBL tutor but he didn't turn up on monday, turned up late today and then had to rush off (he just had time to check our objectives were ok- which they werent). He says he's busy 9-5 every day, and wants to do it earlier or later. :eek: He'll be good though when we have his attention. He calls us Miss..<insert surname> and Mr and .., tis odd. & We have a Dr in our group and I'm waiting for her to correct him! :biggrin:
Reply 34
Hey guy aint this about me?? why has everyone changed the discussion, focus on the issue in the title.
jawads
Hey guy aint this about me?? why has everyone changed the discussion, focus on the issue in the title.

there's plenty of things written on the topic. i hope you know yourself that you need to cancel your application and own up to your parents if this definitely isn't what you want to do. i don't think much more of use can be said that hasn't been said already.
Reply 36
jawads
just cancel your application.

you're taking opportunities away from people who actually want to do medicine.
Reply 37
bright star

Word of warning to any medical student working for extra cash during studies... It has to be a balance, and if you're doing paid work for more hours than you're doing medicine then reassess your situation and work out which is most important...

If you fail a year and your medical school know you were working a lot of hours in a paid job, then they may well decide you are not dedicated (on top of failing) and ask you to leave... I've seen it. Lots now.
A couple of people at my school did similar things (albeit with different courses) by contacting the university they want to go to and organising most of it through them. Of course this is unlikely to be possible for some courses, but you may get lucky.
Fluffy, what would be acceptable part time work hours? I'm looking at something like 8-10 hours a week now?

Latest

Trending

Trending