The Student Room Group

Gap year ideas for short periods/staying at home?

I'm currently on an unplanned gap year, working for the Council at the mo. Due to a series of unforseen appointments I'm tied to being at home every 6 weeks, which has rather scuppered my plans :frown:

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest anything that either allows me to go abroad for a short period (say, a month) or that isn't the same sort of thing as I'm currently doing but is based in the UK?

I just don't think I can hack this type of job for an entire year :redface:

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
You could look into doing temping. I hear that you'll be paid for by the EU if you want to travel and teach abroad voluntarily? Or, look at a website like www.crossculturalsolutions.org (which I'm using to go to china and teach English as a volunteer) and choose to do somehting for 2 weeks to 3 months.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
SamOW
You could look into doing temping. I hear that you'll be paid for by the EU if you want to travel and teach abroad voluntarily? Or, look at a website like www.crossculturalsolutions.org (which I'm using to go to china and teach English as a volunteer) and choose to do somehting for 2 weeks to 3 months.

Hope this helps :smile:

Pretty good site ;yes; Though, the prices do seem a little dear :sadnod:

Have you tried Real Gap? There's a much wider range there. The programme I'm looking at allows you to do both sport and teaching, so it's ideal for me :smile:

Good luck too!
Reply 3
A little dear indeed! I'm looking to do 3 months in china, which will set me back £3k! Then flights on top of that...
Reply 4
That is expensive :s-smilie: It'll be a great experience though! I'm looking to go in Jan but it should cost around £1500 including flights, but extra excluding spending money.
Reply 5
Problem is that I applied for a grant last year that was being offered by a local body - and they gave me £1k (well I'm yet to get it but you know) for it (voluntary work that helps overseas or something..) payable to me when I have proof of paying Cross Cultural Solutions the fee. So picking it a year ago has trapped me for the free money!

What flights are you getting and what's the cheapest flights available? I haven't really sorted this out yet - nor got the infernal visa! And how long will the £1500 cover?
Reply 6
im doing realgap..month in sri lanka orphanage project
Reply 7
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! Feeling a lot more optimistic now :biggrin:

SamOW
You could look into doing temping. I hear that you'll be paid for by the EU if you want to travel and teach abroad voluntarily?

If you don't mind me asking, do you know any more about this?
Oh and wow - China! When are you planning on going?

Thanks Laevis and kateyrib, I'll give Realgap another look :smile: Where are you going Laevis? £1500 seems pretty reasonable for inclusive flights.
Reply 8
Erm, I don't know more - though am pretty sure you can do it.. Didn't look into it as was already planning on going to China! April 5th, I think sounds reasonable :smile:

Just google it..
Reply 10
Oh ^^" heh thanks...

Latest