The Student Room Group

Picky On GCSEs

Hi Guys, from looking at previous posts throughout the years in the law forum, there is a lot of people including myself who ask about the weight of GCSEs in the application process.

Could anyone with the knowledge post down unis that are specifically fussy about GCSEs and maybe ones that of course take them into consideration but are more open minded to other areas of the application rather than GCSEs e.g. LNAT

Obviously most top Unis take GCSEs into account but still you understand what i mean e.g. LSE a certain A* count needed

:tsr2: :tsr2:
Reply 1
LSE - my 2 A* and 9 A wasn't enough, I hear you need over 6 of them.

Don't listen to anyone who says Durham ask for the same, as they gave me an offer and so I think they look at the LNAT.

So just from personal experience, Warwick rejected me for nooo reason and I'm guessing gcse's again - my PS got me an interview at Oxford etc, so I don't think that was bad nor my GCSEs prevented me from having that interview.

Other than that.. it's all open :smile:
Reply 2
Just LSE
Reply 3
I got 1 A / 6 Bs / 2 Cs at GCSE.

Currently studying Law in my second year at Warwick.
69% first year.
Reply 4
How many times are you going to keep asking the same question emmett.
If you're not sure about your gcse's either gamble or don't!
Reply 5
Im not asking about my GCSEs im asking about the unis that are picky about them
Reply 6
oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii plz tell me what subjects 2 take 4 ur GCSE'SSSSS i need 2 know coz i ave 2 give in my options 4 year 9 SOON, plz help!
Reply 7
I don't understand why GCSE's apparently have so much weight, it comes at a time when quite a few people will not fully appreciate the exams on there futures and there are numerous external reasons not to do well. I appreciate it shows general intellegence (i.e 10 *s) but surely As levels are the real measure once a person has specalised into areas that they are good at and enjoy.

I don't believe a Uni would reject you if you had 4 as As at 280+ UMS marks and 3A*s, 4 A and 3bs. Im sure there are guidlines, but this talk of being outright rejected if you dont have enough A*s is rubbish.
Reply 8
moss123
oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii plz tell me what subjects 2 take 4 ur GCSE'SSSSS i need 2 know coz i ave 2 give in my options 4 year 9 SOON, plz help!

It doesn't really matter what you take at GCSE. Although if I could go back and change anything, I'd definitely take a foreign language - if you want to do law with study abroad you often need a language and I think Cambridge and Edinburgh require a language for all their courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending