The Student Room Group

is promissory estoppel required here? is it? :$

heya all- me again.....

ok i'm half way through a problem question essay (my very first no less :smile: ) but for the second part i'm a bit baffed as to what area of law i should be delving into for my response.....

the problem is something like:

''A has entered a contract with B to sell her his house on the 1st of jan. However he finds out he has won a holiday then and asks b if it's ok to complete the transaction (exchange of contracts) in march- b agrees (reluctantly). A tells B that he is a man of his word thus there is no need to draw up a new contract about this small change. B really does want to move in by March because she is very busy working abroad up until that date when she must return''

ok i have to advise B about this situation yet i am a little baffed as to what law is most relevant to her. My feeling is promissory estoppel as even though the exchange of contracts/deed has not yet commenced, there is a legally bindind contract....but i'm not sure if this the best mode of action...because it may cause unnecessary problems...A may actually be willing to exchange in March as he has so promissed....perhaps if he goes on to break this promise B should then consider promissory estoppel and not a moment before....

am i even on the right lines? I'm not asking for answers btw (as if haha)- but any pointers/confirmation would be appreciated...

cheers:smile:
Reply 1
yeah proprietary estoppel i mean (i keep getting the two word mixed- haha).....perhaps the doctrine of 'notification' should be used in this case...hmmmm (would of used WebCT but the lack of response in the property law section doesn't exactly bode well....)
Reply 2
p.s. no face book (or the like)- sos
Reply 3
ok figured out where i had to mostly focus- process of trial and elimination untill the 'oh yeah i forgot all about...' bahaha- cheers anyway
Reply 4
Stealth-Mode
ok figured out where i had to mostly focus- process of trial and elimination untill the 'oh yeah i forgot all about...' bahaha- cheers anyway

lol I just posted something similar! Although I was less tactful and just copied the question completely lol.

Any areas you'd like to recommend?! :smile:
Reply 5
haha- i see.

.................statute book! :wink:
Reply 6
wow that's the least helpful help I've ever received. lol.
Reply 7
well it is what we have very recently been looking at (edmunds asked us to look in a passing comment at the end of a recent lecture.... that should be help eneough without me actually shouting the answer lol)

Latest

Trending

Trending