The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Physics!!!

This has turned out to be, breatkhtakenly, the hardest of all the subjects i am currently taking. Maths, Biology , Chemistry, and Physics.

I am wondering, if anyone else is struggling or finding Physics particularly hard.

And if anyone who has completed there AS Physics, could tell me whether the exams are also much harder then the classwork we study. Being an A* student myself at GCSE, i must say, Physics is turning out to be a roller coaster rides, with many obstructions in it.
Reply 1
I'm doing OCR AS Physics, along Chemistry and Accounting. At GCSE I got CC, I'm finding some bits hard, but others are fine, just go over the work, revise the equations, you'll be fine.
I'm doing this.

What module are you sitting in January?

I'm stuck with Mechanics and Radioactivity, understood everything so far. However I had a 4 hour chat with my uncle (A physics teacher) just before half term which has helped loads.:smile:

Now I'm just keeping up to date with homework and keep reading through the notes, I seem to be copeing alot better.
I did AS edexcel physics....it was boring for me lol so I dropped it after year 12...I got an A at GCSE and somehow managed an A at AS

Its weird...it didnt really focus in class...in fact I couldnt wait until they were over... I actually thought I did badly in the exam but did good enough :smile: Just do a load of past papers before the exam and you'll get the hang of it :biggrin:
Reply 4
Yeah same, it's really hard :frown: Especially when your homework is on a website designed for university students in the US to use -.- I'm failing to understand too much of the electricity stuff, and we haven't learnt anything new in radioactivity (Apparently this is because we need to spend every single lesson revising GCSE stuff -.-). If you asked me which 3 subjects I'd do for A2 last year, Physics would've been a certainty. Now, I'm more likely to drop it :s-smilie:
logic123
This has turned out to be, breatkhtakenly, the hardest of all the subjects i am currently taking. Maths, Biology , Chemistry, and Physics.

I am wondering, if anyone else is struggling or finding Physics particularly hard.

And if anyone who has completed there AS Physics, could tell me whether the exams are also much harder then the classwork we study. Being an A* student myself at GCSE, i must say, Physics is turning out to be a roller coaster rides, with many obstructions in it.

if you can get a* gcse then you can get a at as level physics.

i found the mechanics part to be harder in unit 1, radioactivity is far easier but unfortunately the test will most certainly be more about mechanics :frown:

i found my exams much easier than classwork for all subject tbh :smile:
Yeah, you know what? I was an A* physics student at GCSE-level but then I found out that GCSE physics contains almost no real physics.

Anyway WORK HARD...Seriously it's the best advice I can give you; I slacked off all year and got a D so now I'm re-taking that AS and it's so not worth all the trouble.

Just try your best this year and you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 7
Ye I know what you mean physics is turning out to be annoyingly difficult for me as well. Its not that I don't necessarily find difficulty in the theory or maths, but the way in which the questions are presented completely baffles me. One of my mates who did AS Edexcel Physics said Mechanics and Radioactivity was the hardest module - he got a D in that and As in all of his other modules. He even got an A in M1 (the maths mechanics). I m just hoping it gets better after this module....
Reply 8
If you're doing edexcel Physics, M1 (AS Maths) is really useful. This pretty much solves any unit 1 problems- the radioactivity stuff is fairly easy, but if it causes any problems, cast your eyes across this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45228&d=1193955126

Unit 2. Its quite a bit tougher, but I had a good teacher and i really don't know what happened. I suppose not revising had something to do with it. it is basically just putting numbers through formulea, and using formulea to explain why things behave how is observed. Oh, I didn't learn the formulea. I see. (Remember to actually quote them in your written answers)

Unit 3. Practicle & your option (Particle, Astro....). Well, the practicle is easy - if you go slow and actually do what you're told. Yes, i rushed it, and did it wrong. The option is only a 30min paper, there only a few simple facts & formulea to learn. Even after messing this whole unit up, I still got a good UMS from it. So it can't be too difficult.

In short: If dont do M1, I really reccomend looking through chapter 2, Kinematics and the bits on particles on slopes. learn your formulea and you will be alright
Reply 9
I can't stress enough the importance of learning the equations. There's lots of them, but if you learn the equations and get lots of practice at using them, thats honestly half the battle. The more practice you get the better, the tend to set similar questions year on year.
Reply 10
I'm doing edexcel physics...and so far I'm finding it ok.
I got 100% in my electricity end of topic and 98% in my radioactivity end of topic O.o
It's not as easy as GCSEs but I don't think it's gotten hard just yet. I'm difinitely not taking it in yr 13 though. Can't be bothered really :biggrin:
Don't worry about it...by the time it comes to the physics exams you are ready to apply your knowledge to new situations (I done loads past papers and ended up gettin' 291).
Reply 12
Do a whole bunch of past paeprs. Thats it.
Reply 13
Better yet, just do ALL the past papers. Initially it'll feel like they take ages to do, but the more you do, the more you'll notice the similarities between questionhey's and the easier the questions will be, meaning they won't take as long. There's only so much physics they can test you on, so many ways ways in which they can test it and the exam probably won't be much longer than 1.5 hours, depending on the exam board.
I found AS Physics difficult for the best part of 6 months. I couldnt make sense of applying the theory and understanding the questions. It all came together toward exam time though and I got pretty high marks, but I still dropped it. I can do maths but physics is tough.

Just keep working at it; persevere to get a good grade whether you like the subject or not, as you're committed.

Latest