The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sparrohawk
Hi,

just want to know-- is pharmacy the thing for me???

what does it involve i.e. in the first year,

%age of maths/chemistry/biology and at what level?

in what form are we assessed?-- i.e. what type of exams?

does anyone have a typical syllabus for the first yr?

I did it for one year and changed my course.

First year you will need only 40% to pass. It;s typically split into 5 modules testing maths/chemistry/biology/practical skills/IT. A lot of emphasis is on practicals and you will have usually a minimum of 2 a week - which is 3 hours long ( usually lasts less though)

Coursework is done throughout the year, and final exams are in June, there are no exams in January apart from the IT one i believe which is 100% coursework. This was the format at the uni i went to and a MPharm elsewhere will have similar layout i presume.

Also depending upon which uni you go to, the standars will be higher/lower, but you will usually start from A-Level organic stuff in the chemistry modules and biology modules and some knwledge is presumed from A-Levels.
Reply 2
Different unis have more or less january exams (some unis split them 50:50, others do it differently).

At Bath, the first year modules involved pharmacy practice, learning skills and statistics, physiology, biopharmaceutics, cell biology, medicinal chemistry, and analysis techniques (7 units) so things do vary from uni to uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending