The Student Room Group

Doing a subject that's not part of your course...

I'm going to post this 3 times on the 3 uni forums I'm unsure if this can happen, so yeah...

I went to Soton Uni the other day and they had a big plasma TV screen telling you what lessons were happening where that morning.
I saw 'Bulgarian 1A' which isn't in the prospectus at all...

[I'm applying for 2 Scottish Unis as well, which I know you can take 3 or more subjects in your 1st/2nd years]

So I'm just wondering are there modules available to take, either for or not for credit, in things? In particular languages?
And uh, is there any subjects not in the prospectus?
Im taking spanish at the moment which isnt part of my degree. I know the language department do courses in things like Mandarin which you cant take a full degree in- although I'm sure its possible to do 30 credits in it.
This is at Leeds, Exeter and Manchester, btw.
Reply 3
At my Uni it is compulsory to take an additional 10 credit module (known as the Add+Vantage module). We can take courses in computing, languages, creativity, business enterprise...the list is endless. Does that Uni do something like that?
I am at Exeter so my above comment applies for there. I'm taking History and French Joint Honours with spanish on the side :smile:
The languages, are they ab initio? I'd be interested in doing a bit of Spanish from scratch at uni. :smile:
Reply 6
im at loughborough doing sports science and we get the opportunity to take up to 20 credits out of school. i chose to do spanish and german this year both from scratch. so far ive only been learning spanish as i am doing german in semester 2 but im really glad i chose to do it as its nice to have a different format from the typical lectures.

Latest