The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

At my school we did FP1 at the same time as C1 (OCR board)...it actually kinda helps, you learn so much calculus and extra stuff that the rest of the core modules become cakewalks before you've even started studying.

And we had i think...23 people at AS and about 18 now.

Studied in this order:
FP1/C1/S1/M1/C2(at the same time for last summer we have 4 seperate teachers),FP2/C3/C4/D1/M2, FP3/M3

I think thats right anyway.
Reply 21
Zygroth
:s-smilie: Seriously? On Edexcel it specifically says knowledge of C1-4 is required and may be tested...

Read AGAIN. MEI does not equal Edexcel.

Quoted directly from MEI's specification:

(re. FP1) "Candidates are expected to know the content for C1 and C2".
Reply 22
Thank you Vykis, I was far too lazy to go digging on the OCR website for the spec. Thought I'd left all that behind last year!
Reply 23
Candescence
At my school we did FP1 at the same time as C1 (OCR board)...it actually kinda helps, you learn so much calculus and extra stuff that the rest of the core modules become cakewalks before you've even started studying.

And we had i think...23 people at AS and about 18 now.

Studied in this order:
FP1/C1/S1/M1/C2(at the same time for last summer we have 4 seperate teachers),FP2/C3/C4/D1/M2, FP3/M3

I think thats right anyway.

MM, that might change my arrangements a bit - perhaps studying FP1 in the first year already...
yeah i do aqa maths which is similar to OCR
Reply 25
Okay, we have talked quite a bit lately.

Well, I still do want to do the full A2 course of Further Mathematics (would equal to 4 A-Levels in the end). But the problem is that I don't really need the four A-Levels to go to a top university - three with high marks are good enough.

So if I didn't do the FM course... I'd just be bored and unchallenged.... If I do the FM AS - it's just extra three modules (FP1 - hard, if I went for Mechanics - M2 and M3 - fun and good). Yet, even if I would study parts of FM on my own - wouldn't it just be great to take an exam for what you already know? It's such a crappy trilemma here :P

So my teacher suggested just going for full A-Level Mathematics and AS Further Mathematics. That's... C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1 + FP1, M2, M3 or such. Would that be a challenge enough for me?
What do you guys suggest?
I'm not yet decided with my future, but I'm sure it lies in Economics (I am not asking for module advice!!).

Before, I was just thinking of taking Maths, Physics and Economics for A2. What would be the best way to handling this? Perhaps just going for Maths, full Further Maths (self learning - extras as FP2, FP3 and M4) and Economics? Or just continuing with the easier studies?
I do have a lot of interest in mathematics but I do simply believe that university mathematics has no future (hence me looking at Economics).

Or perhaps going for Maths, Economics and German (studying at AS, not liking very much)?

Would working my ass off be really worth it or should I stick to the easier subjects for myself? Maths, Economics and Physics for that matter. Just to get high UMS marks and go to the future? Or challenge and aim for the top in as much that could be done (not get bored)?

I can already get an A in both C1 and C2 from the past papers that I've done.
Though, I'm stuck with making a reasoned decision already, lol!

Just concentrating on my weaker subjects like German and Critical Thinking may be a more reasonable option? Are the AS of subjects that I'm not taking for full A-Level important?

Please give me good + reasoned advice. I do not want pointless replies :wink:

Just to sum up - I don't really know what I want. I do know that I do want to work with money in future.
Oh, and I'm not looking for some easy stable job. I do want to go beyond a good or high pay, really. Future is something that I'm looking forward to working hard for!

Thank You!!!!
If I were you, I would study Maths, Economics and Physics, and AS further maths. That way, if you decide you aren't interested in Physics you can opt to take FM all the way to A2! Any combination of these would put you in good stead for an Economics degree, particularly a Bsc (above a BA if there is an option of either at a given university)

I studied a language at AS, and I didn't particularly enjoy it, which showed in my grade. Study what you enjoy and the grades will follow!
Reply 27
I recomend you contact the further maths network in order to get a highly qualified tutor. these are available to teach people who attend schools or colleges which do not have further maths as an option.
Reply 28
You should also use the cambridge university press textbooks for reference they have very useful past exam questions and also have model answers which is very helpful if you want to self teach.
Reply 29
Neelesh1
You should also use the cambridge university press textbooks for reference they have very useful past exam questions and also have model answers which is very helpful if you want to self teach.

It's evident that you did not read my post(-s). Hence your answer is not helpful.
Reply 30
My personal recommendation to you would be to do Maths, Physics and Economics, with AS Further Maths. If you feel that you are managing well this summer, continue with A2 Further Maths.

I would not advise you to take German if you do not enjoy it and do not have an aptitude for it. Personally I find languages both fascinating and fairly easy-going, but many people find them extremely hard to achieve an A grade in. I know a girl who was a straight A student, but chose French despite not having a particular aptitude for it, and she came out with a C at AS (after resits) and dropped it at A2, despite having full marks in various modules in other subjects. Don't take the risk of a blot on your amazing academic record by taking a language if you are not confident with it.
Reply 31
Terrafire
My personal recommendation to you would be to do Maths, Physics and Economics, with AS Further Maths. If you feel that you are managing well this summer, continue with A2 Further Maths.

I would not advise you to take German if you do not enjoy it and do not have an aptitude for it. Personally I find languages both fascinating and fairly easy-going, but many people find them extremely hard to achieve an A grade in. I know a girl who was a straight A student, but chose French despite not having a particular aptitude for it, and she came out with a C at AS (after resits) and dropped it at A2, despite having full marks in various modules in other subjects. Don't take the risk of a blot on your amazing academic record by taking a language if you are not confident with it.

In my opinion, AS FM would not really be hard since there's only one very hard module - FP1. Two others are applied and would definitely be easier (Mechanics).

Well, I am currently attaining only at a C whereas all others are at As. But I think that it may be a problem with me, personally - just the fact that I am not spending any time whatsoever doing the language. Thanks for the advice, and I think you're right... Especially considering that German was one of my 2.5 Cs in GCSEs. Yet, I'll just have to sit down for a day every weekend and take my best shot :smile: As a matter of fact, my grammar is very good so far. I just don't know the meaning of basic connecting words. Hence the poor attainment! But it all comes down to the amount of effort you put in, which, in my case is not as big as what I do for math.

Latest