The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In some ways I wish I'd bothered applying, I *may* have gotten in (and would have HAD to work at a 3rd A-Level- see my exam results in sig). Having only done 2 real A-Levels, I got pretty lazy :/ And that trait has carried on here 'cause all the real work I have to do is on an essay that isn't due til January.

If I'd gone to Oxbridge I'd have worked.
I don't want a 'wild time' at uni lol, I just want to make sure the social side of it is secure. I agree with how people have said, like most things in life, it is what you make of it. Anyway, I'll probably go with the school on a trip there so I should give me a flavour of the atmosphere :smile:
noodles!
In some ways I wish I'd bothered applying, I *may* have gotten in (and would have HAD to work at a 3rd A-Level- see my exam results in sig). Having only done 2 real A-Levels, I got pretty lazy :/ And that trait has carried on here 'cause all the real work I have to do is on an essay that isn't due til January.

If I'd gone to Oxbridge I'd have worked.

Why did you only do 2? :s-smilie:

and do you feel that you really have to motivate yourself to work unless there is a deadline?
Reply 23
I'll probably go with the school on a trip there so I should give me a flavour of the atmosphere

Good idea!
But be warned - if you come out of term-time (Oxbridge term-time, that is, not school...) there will be barely any students. People who've visited with schools have said to me before "God, it's quiet isn't it? Everyone must be in the library." I had to disillusion them and say that, actually, everyone was at HOME...
epitome
Good idea!
But be warned - if you come out of term-time (Oxbridge term-time, that is, not school...) there will be barely any students. People who've visited with schools have said to me before "God, it's quiet isn't it? Everyone must be in the library." I had to disillusion them and say that, actually, everyone was at HOME...

Really? lol. Can you explain to me how the 8 week terms work- don't you only get 3? wouldn't that just be 6 months? :eek3:
Reply 25
Really? lol. Can you explain to me how the 8 week terms work- don't you only get 3? wouldn't that just be 6 months?

It's simple, really - and it seems you already understand it! The teaching terms are 8 weeks long (residence is usually 10 weeks). So, beginning of Oct to end of Nov, for example. Vacations are long - 5 weeks at Xmas and Easter, and 3.5 months in the summer. You are right that we only spent 6 months being taught.

HOWEVER, there is always enough work to be getting on with in the vacation! The long vacs also - vitally - give the fellows/dons a chance to do some of their own work, upon which the institutions are strictly (and questionably, to an extent) judged.
The short nature of the terms causes them to be VERY intense (it is not at all unusual for an Oxbridge student to do more work in a term than other students do in a year), and very tiring. But also very fun! The long vacations give a good chance to rest from it all, and get ready for the next onslaught. It's a bit mad, to be honest, but seems to work pretty well! :wink: :smile:
jess_17_07
Really? lol. Can you explain to me how the 8 week terms work- don't you only get 3? wouldn't that just be 6 months? :eek3:

Generally you are in oxford the week before and (less often) the week after each term too, for clubbing etc, but yeah basically!
NeverMindThat
Generally you are in oxford the week before and (less often) the week after each term too, for clubbing etc, but yeah basically!

What a vivid and concise explanation :p:
jess_17_07

to be honest I don't think it's *that* much less than a lot of other unis. The thing about Oxford is it has 3 8 week terms while some other unis have longer first 2 terms and then a much shorter 3rd term. So overall it only works out to be a couple of weeks less.
hmmmmm...
Reply 30
jess_17_07
I've already been getting careers interviews in y12 as the school want me to go to Oxford. However, my interviewer told me that the terms are really short and intense being 8 weeks long- how does this work?

I've been told that Oxbridge is a bit of a social dump, as has LSE, which I've been keen about applying to as I'm interested in Politics.

Is it true? Be honest please, it's putting off a lot of people that I know, even some with 11A*s from applying. Fair enough hard work, but I want to enjoy uni. What have you guys found?

I went to a really good party yesterday, so I would definitely not class Oxford as a social dump. In fact there's so much to do you don't have time for everything.
Reply 31
jess_17_07
Why did you only do 2? :s-smilie:

and do you feel that you really have to motivate yourself to work unless there is a deadline?

Long story... basically the ICT qualification I have wasn't taught and I thought I might have been able to handle the whole A2 by myself- so I put it down as my third A-Level to the school. But I really wasn't- so I used 2 A Levels and 2 AS's to apply to Uni, and General Studies where it counted.

And yep, there really is no motivation until the deadline appears- I don't even know why! Like I know I have some bits of work due in tomorrow but there's no point in me doing them now, 'cause I won't be able to do them properly- so they're being left til tonight. I know it's bad, but I don't do shoddy work when I do it- my work would be worse if I sat and did it now!
noodles!
my work would be worse if I sat and did it now!

lol, how bizarre! :eek3:
Reply 33
noodles!

And yep, there really is no motivation until the deadline appears- I don't even know why! Like I know I have some bits of work due in tomorrow but there's no point in me doing them now, 'cause I won't be able to do them properly- so they're being left til tonight. I know it's bad, but I don't do shoddy work when I do it- my work would be worse if I sat and did it now!

i understand :wink:
Reply 34
... still haven't done that work...

there's no way I'll start til 9 coz Top Gear starts at 8! Hahah.
Reply 35
On Friday I finally did what I've been thinking about doing since my first year - got the train down to London, stayed out all night and got the first train back to Cambridge (5:45am). It ruled and everyone should do it more often.

Social life is fine, although there are far to many people who give a ****. But the night life sucks.

Latest

Trending

Trending