The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Next year's accomodation

I'm starting to ring round places to secure accomodation for next year. I can't go home for the summer, so i'm lookin for a June 2008 move-in. Most places require that you approach them as a group to rent a house, so anyone interested in getting in on it? There's already a couple of people who have said they're interested, but I need to get 5. We're mostly quiet, non-partying people, so if you're a raver who comes in at 3am and pukes on the carpet, it's probably not for you...:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well this whole off campus thing has been worrying me.

On the plus side I'm quiet, think 3AM is sleep time and I'm not prone to pyschotic outbursts:p: Oh and I hate being in debt to people so I'm unlikey to be a scrounger, and if I have the money (I.e loans) I pay on time...well before time I don't like leaving things to chance.

On the negative side I'm just an image on an online forum.

Though it would be nice to escape the yellling etc. Our hall now stinks of cigerettes :rolleyes:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Haha, well you're more than welcome to join us.

This looks the most promising http://www.leydonlettings.co.uk/

I've sent them an email requesting more information about the two properties at the bottom. After spending ages poring over the site, they seem to be the better deals.
Reply 3
Mmmm.. ok I'll think about it.. anything is cheaper than Parkwood flats lol :P
Reply 4
Ok, so the house i'm the most interested in is 0.6 miles from the campus, with one attic room (dibs on that), 3 medium rooms for £77 per week, and two en-suites for £85 a week. In addition, we can opt to pay £13 per person per week to cover bills and broadband. The house also has a TV and a washing machine, and I believe there's also a DVD player and freeview. All other extras like microwave/toaster/kettle/vacuum etc are also provided.

I'm gonna try and book it. Can anyone say for certain that they're definitely interested?

Here's a rundown of what we need to do and pay when we book, make sure you 're familiar with it http://www.leydonlettings.co.uk/BookingaHouse.html

PS, it's from July 2008 to June 2009, and I believe there's an option to rent for a further year after that.
Reply 5
I have three questions:

Roughly how long is the distance in miles from the town centre to UofK? I'm struggling to picture 0.6 miles

Would all these fees have to be paid later, or upon booking the house?

Do we have to move in, or can some of us stay at home for part of the summer and then move in?

It sounds interesting, but I think first of all I'd actually have to meet one of you :p: Just imagine we could spend the whole of August not having to do anything, just living away from home :p:

Doing nothing...I'd be in my element:wink:
Reply 6
Truered
I have three questions:

Roughly how long is the distance in miles from the town centre to UofK? I'm struggling to picture 0.6 miles

Would all these fees have to be paid later, or upon booking the house?

Do we have to move in, or can some of us stay at home for part of the summer and then move in?

It sounds interesting, but I think first of all I'd actually have to meet one of you :p: Just imagine we could spend the whole of August not having to do anything, just living away from home :p:

Doing nothing...I'd be in my element:wink:

0.6 miles is not very far at all. I'm not sure how far it is to the town centre - try google maps. The property is on Godden Road.

# When do I make my first payment?
In order for us to take a definite booking we require you to pay a non refundable admin fee of £125 and in certain circumstances a holding deposit - see deposit and admin fee. Rent is payable quarterly in advance on 1st June, 1st October, 1st January and 1st April. If you cannot provide a suitable guarantor, rent is payable annually in advance in addition to a reduced security deposit (the deposit ensures you pay your bills and look after the property). The security deposit where required is fully refundable at the end of your tenancy.

# Do we pay full, half or no rent during the summer when we are absent?
The simplest way to answer this fully is by explaining what Leydon lettings have named "the ten-eleven-twelve rule". Roughly speaking tenants reside for 10 months, pay for 11 months for every 12 month tenancy. Rent for the months of July and August is reduced to half provided you are not residing in the property. If you take up residence during this period rent and bills become payable in full from the date you move in. We charge full rent over the summer for some of the most popular houses. Since most of our normal houses fit the description of a hotel we could charge full rent on all our houses. We are developing a policy whereby if you pay full rent during the summer you would receive a discount if we let to holiday makers during your absence with your agreement. There would be no guarantees, however, for our houses with numerous ensuites this could be lucrative for some tenants. Details to be announced at a future date and your comments on this would be very welcome

But i'm still confused...we can arrange to view the property and ask questions, though.
Reply 7
martell
Ok, so the house i'm the most interested in is 0.6 miles from the campus, with one attic room (dibs on that), 3 medium rooms for £77 per week, and two en-suites for £85 a week. In addition, we can opt to pay £13 per person per week to cover bills and broadband. The house also has a TV and a washing machine, and I believe there's also a DVD player and freeview. All other extras like microwave/toaster/kettle/vacuum etc are also provided.

I'm gonna try and book it. Can anyone say for certain that they're definitely interested?

Here's a rundown of what we need to do and pay when we book, make sure you 're familiar with it http://www.leydonlettings.co.uk/BookingaHouse.html

PS, it's from July 2008 to June 2009, and I believe there's an option to rent for a further year after that.

Hehe, funny you should pick that house because my group looked at that exact one last week. It looks promising, but it's not. Attic room is VERY claustrophobic (no windows AND the boiler in there), kitchen is tiny, the place is quite run down with huge cracks in the kitchen ceiling (one of the ensuites apparently sprung a leak and the repair men were going in the next day to fix it, yeah right! :rolleyes: ).

By all means, if we're referring to the same house, it might be fine for you. But for us we walked out of there knowing there wasn't a chance in hell we'd go for that house.
Reply 8
Hev456
Hehe, funny you should pick that house because my group looked at that exact one last week. It looks promising, but it's not. Attic room is VERY claustrophobic (no windows AND the boiler in there), kitchen is tiny, the place is quite run down with huge cracks in the kitchen ceiling (one of the ensuites apparently sprung a leak and the repair men were going in the next day to fix it, yeah right! :rolleyes: ).

By all means, if we're referring to the same house, it might be fine for you. But for us we walked out of there knowing there wasn't a chance in hell we'd go for that house.

Godden Road? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
martell
Godden Road? :s-smilie:

:yep:

the landlords hilarious, andthe house is a little dodgy. Go see it by all means but there's not a chance i'd live there next year.
Reply 10
I am seriously looking forward to living of campus next year with people that i actually like.
Got my eye on one house but i will look around another few just to make sure. I am also waiting for one girl in our group to get abck to me about meeting up to discuss housing before i commit to too much.
Reply 11
Hev456
:yep:

the landlords hilarious, andthe house is a little dodgy. Go see it by all means but there's not a chance i'd live there next year.

I just got an email from them saying you have to pay rent during summer even if you're not there! So that house is off my list...but I have my eye on something a lot better.
Reply 12
Mmm.. as long as there's not too much walking involved (or I'll never bother going to anything!) and the price is cheaper than Parkwood (which is extortionate), then you can count me in Martell.. :tongue:
Reply 13
Caeleb
Mmm.. as long as there's not too much walking involved (or I'll never bother going to anything!) and the price is cheaper than Parkwood (which is extortionate), then you can count me in Martell.. :tongue:

Haha, don't worry, those qualities are exactly what I'm looking for too! In addition to TV, internet, and bills being inclusive. Anything else i've overlooked?
Reply 14
Is it built on an ancient Indian burial ground? Does it smell of urine?
Reply 15
Close proximity to off license, club, bars, and pubs :wink:

Maintaining a good walkable distance into the University as well as Canterbury
I can't wait for next year.
Last year I was in halls and didn't get on with one person in my corridor (8 other people)
This year I'm with 3 other friends...but this is slowly getting me more and more stressed/angry/depressed. The house is a mess, one girl keeps taking money from us and not paying back. And because I'm too stupidly reserved, I'm afraid to speak up :s

Roll on third year...oh and Godden Road..isn't too nice area I'm afraid :s:
I've found a house (and reserved it!!!) living in Wincheap in a cute 200 year old cottage, with 3 other people :biggrin: I cannot WAIT to move out of Parkwood, i dislike my house muchly...

I shud go and meet u guys some time. seeing as we live in the same place!

Jess x
Reply 18
We've got a house too ^.^ a house on Downs Road, like 2 minutes from campus with 5 of my friends. Chuffed muchly! This house is amazing, bedrooms are huge!
Godden Road is Hales Place right? A bit council but not too bad. Best part of Hales Place is Headcorn Drive and the closes off it, but they are furthest from university.
Wincheap = awesome, horrendous to drive around but a nice area, q far from uni too but only about 40mins walk.
Bob Leydon is good because he provides both hard wired net and wireless, and all bills are inclusive! Oh and he appreciates Valentine's cards too, lol.
Downs Road = ahhhh sooo close, I'm jealous!