The Student Room Group

Omit underachievement?

Hi guys. This seems like a very useful forum and community.

To make a long story short, I'm looking for some advice with regards to my UCAS application. I am a 21 year old 'mature student' doing an Access to Law course with flying colours at the moment and plan to send off my UCAS application soon with what I feel is a strong personal statement for my circumstances.

However, things weren't always so good, 5 years ago when I was in this country for only a couple of years I left my school (it was a foreign school in London) and tried to do my A levels in a British college. I had some psychological problems at the time which led to me dropping out within the first month. This was repeated the year after with a different college.

Basically, since then I have had a significant change of lifestyle, scenery, etc but I still want to keep my application somewhat positive, as my lack of formal GCSE's (the Access course caters to that, but it still looks bad) and A levels is already bad enough in a VERY competetive subject.

The question is, should I mention the colleges I "attended" for those uneventful months? Can they find out about them?
Reply 1
Nikiforos
Hi guys. This seems like a very useful forum and community.

To make a long story short, I'm looking for some advice with regards to my UCAS application. I am a 21 year old 'mature student' doing an Access to Law course with flying colours at the moment and plan to send off my UCAS application soon with what I feel is a strong personal statement for my circumstances.

However, things weren't always so good, 5 years ago when I was in this country for only a couple of years I left my school (it was a foreign school in London) and tried to do my A levels in a British college. I had some psychological problems at the time which led to me dropping out within the first month. This was repeated the year after with a different college.

Basically, since then I have had a significant change of lifestyle, scenery, etc but I still want to keep my application somewhat positive, as my lack of formal GCSE's (the Access course caters to that, but it still looks bad) and A levels is already bad enough in a VERY competetive subject.

The question is, should I mention the colleges I "attended" for those uneventful months? Can they find out about them?

You're not the only one with such dillemas... basically, most people will advise you to tell them the truth and try to show it as positive as it can be done.

If you're in UK, i'm not sure that you could hide it anyway... if they find out,
it will be very bad.

Even if you tried to lie, you'd have to make up things. Perhaps it's bes to be honest. Though i don't know...
Reply 2
Yeah, I was aware that they can find out about uni degrees, but I thought perhaps since it was only A levels and I was only there for a few weeksit could be omitted.

Some people are telling me that you're not really obliged to say something about that- but perhaps they're wrong.
They're wrong. You give an undertaking that you are telling the whole truth in your application (as a law student you will be aware of its import). For what would be a trivial problem you would risk complete catastrophe if you omitted information. Don't do it.
just get the person who writes your reference to explain the situation :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending