The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bobzilla
I am attending the Medlink conference this year. Any tips from anyone who knows anything about it. I still haven't got the information pack from them so i am pretty much buggered. will it benefit me in terms of uni application?

From everything Iā€™ve heard, it is a complete waste of time. Just search forums with 'Medlink'.
Reply 2
Post this in the 'Medicine' forum and you will be lambasted beyond belief.
It won't help with your uni application.
I went last year and it hasn't helped me at all. Spending time getting some more worthwhole expeirience in a hospital/care home is much more effective towards your application than going to Medlink, unless you want to waste Ā£250.
Tis a waste of time. Get a refund, save Ā£300 odd.
Reply 4
Waste of money, don't bother, do work experience instead.
Reply 5
all you guys are saying bad things about medlink so that others wont apply for it while you are to make your application stand out more than theirs.......smart :smile:
Reply 6
Toxic
all you guys are saying bad things about medlink so that others wont apply for it while you are to make your application stand out more than theirs.......smart :smile:

You're a fool and you obviously don't know anything about what Admissions Tutors are looking for a in a candidate.

Enjoy blowing Ā£300 on **** all.
Reply 7
Toxic

If Medicine admissions tutors wanted to cream off the people who can afford to pay Ā£300 for a four day holiday for one person then they would put it in the Entry Requirements.

*" AAA from three A2s ... Voluntary or paid work in a caring setting ... Must have some previous experience of being Medscammed"*
Reply 8
We're saying bad things about Medlink because it sucks.

P.S. To clarify: Medlink sucks.
Toxic

yes, because all medical students want to sabotage people's applications... :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Isn't it called Medisix now? A friend gave me the notes he took there and they wern't very helpful.
mouse_mat
Isn't it called Medisix now? A friend gave me the notes he took there and they wern't very helpful.

Medlink - December
Medisix - March
Medsim - July

Different names...same poison :p:
I actually found Medlink quite informative. :smile: It's mainly hearing from all sorts of people in the medical field that I found valuable. As well as meeting other potential medics.

I do know a lot of people however, who were put off by medlink ... not because "it sucked" (lol) but if you're unsure about medicine, it an help you decide definitely. :smile:

That said, I personally found Medsim more useful. It's a lot more practical and doesn't tend to reinforce the things that you could possibly have found out through some extensive research. ^_^
I hated it. If you have a good group of friends then it'll be really fun, not at all informative and STILL a waste of money. Also, if you get in bad halls, it's not nice lol, a friend of mine was in a room with no carpet and a broken wardrobe and it had writing all over one of the walls. I didn't like the food either.
Im going to medlink too from 15-19th Dec 2007
Reply 15
I've been to MedSim which apparently is supposed to be a more practical form of MedLink. I quite enjoyed it and found it informative - I don't know about Medlink though but two of my friends went and they enjoyed it.

Also, there's no way of knowing if it can help your application or not. The admission tutors might consider the fact that you took time to find out more about whether medicine IS the right career for you - and this is what these conferences do, amongst other things.
It's beyond any doubt that a week of relevant work experience will help you more than this, but there's nothing wrong in attending.
Reply 16
Also, there's no way of knowing if it can help your application or not.
There's the statements that a number of schools and a few admissions tutors have made that strongly suggest that they cannot and willnot use something which discriminates against poor candidates as a selecting factor. You will not find out about whether medicine is right for you from sitting in a gym and mincing around in Nottingham, these conferences do not do this at all.
might put you off nottingham tho.... which is no bad thing!
Reply 18
bright star
might put you off nottingham tho.... which is no bad thing!
Grim place. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
I loved Nottingham uni and I don't regret going on Medlink even though it's a waste of time, but I was actually forced to go on it. "You have no chance of getting into medical school if you don't go on this course." LOL at my dumbass teachers. They also said I shouldn't apply for medicine because I have no chance, and now I gots me an interview. Can't wait to tell them on Monday.

Latest