The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lord Of The Flies

it's great :smile:
I did To Kill A Mockingbird too, but the present year 11s are doing Lord of the Flies.
Reply 3
Great Expectations
Reply 4
I did 'To Kill a Mocking bird'. Hated every minute - except when something decent happened. I liked the Dubose Incident.
Reply 5
i did great expectaions for coursework, and the short stories for the exam
For the pre-1914 novel I did Oliver Twist. It was a good book I thought...rather long and tedious to get through though. But I did it! I read all 500-odd pages of it. But that was for coursework, not the exam.

Mockingbird, I thought was a great book. Something I would've liked to have read to not have to write an essay about. I didn't get the ending though...I wouldn't've know who killed that person if my teacher hadn't've said.

And we got to see it at the theatre too =). Bad day, but that's another story. It was weird though...adults were playing the kids, and Dill was just...wrong! Adults should not be allowed to play hyperactive overimaginative 7-year-olds.
Reply 7
purple-girl
For the pre-1914 novel I did Oliver Twist. It was a good book I thought...rather long and tedious to get through though. But I did it! I read all 500-odd pages of it. But that was for coursework, not the exam.

Mockingbird, I thought was a great book. Something I would've liked to have read to not have to write an essay about. I didn't get the ending though...I wouldn't've know who killed that person if my teacher hadn't've said.

And we got to see it at the theatre too =). Bad day, but that's another story. It was weird though...adults were playing the kids, and Dill was just...wrong! Adults should not be allowed to play hyperactive overimaginative 7-year-olds.

I went to see blood brothers and adults were playing kids
Reply 8
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

It is actually quite a good book and very short (103 A5 pages) but I can't say it has been my favourite book. For the coursework we have also studied Pride and Prejudice, The Crucible, Romeo and Juliet and The Truman Show (the film).
Reply 9
I did Lord of the Flies for the exam. Most people at my school did Of Mice and Men though.
I am going to do 'To Kill a Mockingbitrd', too. I am willing to start the book... cause I've heard grand comments about it :smile: .
We did Of Mice And Men in year 9, in way too much detail. Long story. Basically, we had a load of substitute teachers that didn't get their priorities right.
Reply 12
Blood brothers is a great play.
Did 'Jane Eyre' for the pre-1914 one and now I'm doing 'Catcher in the Rye' .. wish I was doing 'To Kill a Mockingbird' though.
Reply 14
lil groovy dude
Did 'Jane Eyre' for the pre-1914 one and now I'm doing 'Catcher in the Rye' .. wish I was doing 'To Kill a Mockingbird' though.

Oh, What do you think of it? I'm really anjoying it at the moment.
o0o someone who's doing the same book!

I haven't actually got that far :redface: I've only just started Chapter 4 :p: But yeah .. I guess it's alright :smile: How far you got? Does it get any better?
Reply 16
[QUOTE="dude" lil="lil" groovy="groovy"]o0o someone who's doing the same book!

I haven't actually got that far :redface: I've only just started Chapter 4 :p: But yeah .. I guess it's alright :smile: How far you got? Does it get any better?[/QUOTE

We're reading it in school, I'm not exactly sure what chapter, it's page 144 or so...Personally I rather like it, I mean..to be honest, there's still no actual story, it's just Holden wandering about basically, but I'm still rather liking it. You should read 'A perfect day for Bananafish' by J.D. Salinger it's the most bizarre, but rather brilliant story. I don't understand a word of it.
The other classes in my year group did Of Mice and Men, but my teacher was adamant that she wanted to teach our group To Kill a Mockingbird - and I'm glad I did! I really, really enjoyed it and though I did read Of Mice and Men afterwards I didn't like it as much.

For my coursework we also read the first few chapters of Great Expectations and for the Shakespeare unit we did Macbeth.
I did 'Of Mice and Men' , also looked at Romeo and Julliet and The Crucible. I loved The Crucible and I also read To Kill a Mockingbird during this year and I loved it , especially since I love that period of history in America (1920's / 30s I think :smile: )
The Catcher in the Rye for A2 That's the only novel we're studying.

Latest

Trending

Trending