The Student Room Group

R there any absolute moral truths?

Hiya, I am doing a presentation to discuss whether or not there are any moral truths, yet I am a bit confused. Given the fact that there are different views like utilitariasm, Kantian ethics etc, are there any ?????
If yes/no, can you give me some arguments, coz I really think that moral truths are relative to where you live and that this is how you judge whether an action is morl or not?
I also think that since not all truths are agreed upon by everyone (like honour killing is right for some pppl), then morality is just a matter of opinion.
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo confused, plz do help me
itzme
Hiya, I am doing a presentation to discuss whether or not there are any moral truths, yet I am a bit confused. Given the fact that there are different views like utilitariasm, Kantian ethics etc, are there any ?????
If yes/no, can you give me some arguments, coz I really think that moral truths are relative to where you live and that this is how you judge whether an action is morl or not?
I also think that since not all truths are agreed upon by everyone (like honour killing is right for some pppl), then morality is just a matter of opinion.
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo confused, plz do help me

Its an incredibly difficult debate. A good way to get thinking about it is to ask yourself "if there ARE absolute moral truths, where do they come from". You will quickly locate answers such as God, Human Nature, Nature etc.

Remember there is a difference between disagreeing about whether something is moral or not (eg honour killing) and it being simply a matter of oppinon; after all, one side could be right and the other could be wrong.

Theres no right answer, you could argue either way. Read around, google it, and make up your own mind.
Reply 2
you could mention plato and his moral absolutes..
he had this concept of "forms" such as goodness existing outside the universe. thats the main argument id mention in absolutism.

Latest

Trending

Trending