Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Loans during Hyperinflation

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The dollar is crashing. If there is a 1930's style depression and hyper inflation sets in (20% - 30%) would you demand interest be fixed on your student loan?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you're not in a postion to demand anything. a quick peek at the t&cs on your loan will tell you that the only action you could take would be to pay it off and not take more....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OakBeans)
    The dollar is crashing. If there is a 1930's style depression and hyper inflation sets in (20% - 30%) would you demand interest be fixed on your student loan?

If there was a second depression, the intrest rate on your student loan would be the least of your worries.

-Rob
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OakBeans)

Surely if the loan rose to such an amount then it would simply be at a level where it would go unpaid for 25 years and then be written off? The payment terms are fixed at a certain percentage of your pay (and capped once you reach a certain level), so, although the amount could rise to extortionate levels, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely in a time of hyperinflation you'd be better off? I'm fairly sure I remember in history that debtors actually came off better for a depression than those who had saved a lot, since the £4000 (or whatever) they owed stayed the same, but they were being paid ridiculous sums like £10,000 a day, if you get what I mean.

This is why I'm not an economics student.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Current rate has doubled since i applied... under impression of 2.4% since september its 4.8%

We weren't told this direclty.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2007
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.