The Student Room Group

To all lifeguards out there..

Hey guys.
Just a question as to the rates of pay you recieve and wat jobs this entails as where i work (not mentioning places) we are expected to do all of the cleaning (for example scrubbing toilets and dusting windowledges and window cleaning) and this is all in the time we are not lifeguarding, also we have 1 hour 30 min rotations, is this normal and what rates do you guys get paid and for doin wat, btw we only get £5.35 per hour and no over/flexi time or holiday bonuses..
My boyfriend works as a lifeguard and he gets around £7.50 per hour and he does simlar jobs to you but they rotate every 20/30 minutes. But he is a casual so full time ones may get paid more and get to boss the rest about =]
Reply 2
A mate of mine does 20 minute rotations on poolside on 3 different seats (so an hour at a go) and then 1.5/2 hours of "cleaning" i.e throwing a bucket of water around then awarding yourself an hour teabreak. So pretty cushty.
He gets about £6 an hour.
Reply 3
I got £5.65 per hour working for my school (and tax free) part time. Didn't clean, longest shift was 3 hours at once with no help though...
We do pretty much all the cleaning except the toilets. We have cleaners sometimes but they don't do a lot tbh. Most of it is us. At weekends when its busy, we do 1.5hrs lifeguarding, but rotating every 30 mins, then 30mins cleaning, then back on pool. When its less busy (weekdays, eves etc) we get more time off pool, and although were sposed to clean, theres no-one around so half of it doesn't really need doing. I get £5.60 an hour. Max your allowed to do is 2hrs I think, but 1.5 recomended. Where I work shifts are 9 hours long. Really half the cleaning doesn't need doing/takes 5 mins, and as long as you do shifts that aren't middle of the day on a weekend, you get a lot of time off to hang around, so its quite good really. Although there are more staff at weekends, so in that way its better, more people to talk to etc. I don't get holiday/sick pay cos I'm casual. Full timers do though. It can be really crap some days, but it can be pretty fun aswell.

Latest

Trending

Trending