The Student Room Group

Computing - which UK University of my choices...HELP!

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask you which UK University should I choose for computing, if, somehow, I got accepted for them. I applied through UCAS for Imperial College London, University College London, Bristol, Edinburgh and York. I want to go for ICL most, but if I didn't get accepted, then what? Which other, out of these 4, would you choose if you were me?

I posted on other forums the same question, and people were saying UCL is best solution. But according to recent times and guardian rankings it is quite low in terms of computer science. York is high, with Edinburgh...

What do you advise? Waiting for your replies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bober02
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask you which UK University should I choose for computing, if, somehow, I got accepted for them. I applied through UCAS for Imperial College London, University College London, Bristol, Edinburgh and York. I want to go for ICL most, but if I didn't get accepted, then what? Which other, out of these 4, would you choose if you were me?

I posted on other forums the same question, and people were saying UCL is best solution. But according to recent times and guardian rankings it is quite low in terms of computer science. York is high, with Edinburgh...

What do you advise? Waiting for your replies.

Depends on what u wanna do after... If u want research career choose Bristol, for money (i.e. investment banking or similar stuff) go to ucl..

I am at King's and we had lots of career fairs, where companies advertise their internships and "year in industry" programes, most of the companies(90%) were investment banks and financial corporations, and just a couple of technology/science related firms like symbian, logicaCMG, infoSYS.. Even though sometimes we get emails from google, ibm and other Sci/Eng companies, the majority are still banks..

I guess it also depends on where u are... London - financial capital, so i guess everything is logical..

So basically decide what do u wanna do after and where u wanna be..

Hope that helps..
Reply 2
I would (and did) pick Bristol out of all of them in the first place. But that's just me. It's hard to answer because obviously I don't know what other CS courses are like, but I am thouroughly enjoying Bristol's course (even though it is working me very hard right now).

I think all of those 4 places are pretty close in terms of how good their CS departments are. I wouldn't base your decision simply on which is highest in the league tables, you wouldn't really go wrong with any of them. Look at the details of each course and see which ones interest you the most. Also look the atmosphere of the uni and the area it's in. If you think you're going to be bored out of your mind living there then it's probably not a good choice even if it is slightly higher in the league tables than the others.
Reply 3
The problem is I don't know for sure which one of Unis offers the best degree programme for me. I would like to work as a programmer in the future, therefore I expect a big worload from University.

Nevertheless, I cannot tell which one of the programs is the best. I see timetables and curriculums, but it does not tell you much. All I know for now is that ICL has the biggest workload and many different subjects, which suits me perfectly. For others, I am not quite sure... If you have any further suggestions which one of other four (except ICL) would suit me best in terms of future programming career, please post them. i will be thankful...
Reply 4
York.

<<blatantly biased.

I'm even more biased than just the fact that I love York and am going to York. I didn't apply to Imperial entirely because I didn't want to live in London (apart from that, I would have loved to go, but that single point entirely ruled it out for me). So I'm not exactly going to recommend UCL :tongue:

But seriously, they're ALL really good universities, both generally and for CS. So don't stress too much about it.
Reply 5
I can see that there are many different opinions and approaches on this particular topic. I realise of course they are all very good Universities, but i am looking forward to personal views on this matter - what I should take into account, what to be afraid of and so on. Looking forward to further posts.
Reply 6
What are you looking for from your course? What is the most interesting/exciting part of CS for you? What do you want to do when you graduate?

All these factors will/should impact on where you choose to go.
Reply 7
Katwin - my goalsare clear - to get best programming and computer science knowledge possible in order to get a great job in companies such as Microsoft, IBM or other in gaming industry. Which UNI will give me that?

Harrielle - The same for you. I don't care about nice campuses or cities, I want to learn as much as possible to be the best of best. What is your opinion then?
Bober02
Katwin - my goalsare clear - to get best programming and computer science knowledge possible in order to get a great job in companies such as Microsoft, IBM or other in gaming industry. Which UNI will give me that?

They're all good universities. But the university's reputation alone isn't going to cut it - the Blue Chip firms get a lot of people from good universities applying for them. Your responses on the (usually online, usually identikit) application forms can matter a good deal. I went to a respected uni and Big Blue didn't even give me the courtesy of a rejection e-mail, the bastards. Not that I'm bitter...

Uni is important, but for the aforementioned companies it won't cut it alone. You will need to have a compelling application form response which will help you make it through to interview.

For the gaming industry: portfolio, portfolio, portfolio.

Also, to be aware: I don't believe Microsoft has any code-shops over here in Blighty. My understanding is that the graduate scheme just recruits people to sell stuff/consultancy. I could be wrong of course. :smile:
Reply 9
Bober02
The problem is I don't know for sure which one of Unis offers the best degree programme for me. I would like to work as a programmer in the future, therefore I expect a big worload from University.

You do realise programmer it is one of the lowest positions you could be in within technology sector, with lowest salaries. I don't know enyone whishing to "become" a programmer. Programmer is basically just where u start and everyone is just trying to move forward from this position as soon as possible, to higher positions such as project manager, system analys, technology consultant and so on.. If you REALLY wanna do raw coding as your day-to-day job ur in the wrong place as well, most of the software houses are located in India and China.

Also why don't u choose Software Engineering or Games Development degree instead of computer science?? Computer Science is very theoretical..

I can't see why you are so concerned about having huge workload. I mean its entirely up to you how much are u going to study. Two different students finishing same uni with the same grade could have completely different level of knowledge.. so if u wanna learn stuff, u do it urself, no one constrains u..

If u are such a hard worker, don't care about location and basicaly wanna geeky environment go to Bristol..
qlimax
You do realise programmer it is one of the lowest positions you could be in within technology sector, with lowest salaries. I don't know enyone whishing to "become" a programmer. Programmer is basically just where u start and everyone is just trying to move forward from this position as soon as possible, to higher positions such as project manager, system analys, technology consultant and so on.. If you REALLY wanna do raw coding as your day-to-day job ur in the wrong place as well, most of the software houses are located in India and China.

Wow, what a misleading post. Starting salaries for IT analysts (essentially programmers for the most part) are rather good, ranging from £21k to £30k depending on the company and sector (ignoring the gaming industry). Starting salaries for people on the helldesk/IT support are usually a heck of a lot less.

Also, most companies do not give higher salaries to people fresh out of university. If you acquire in-depth technical knowledge about a subject (and can demonstrate that) that is in demand in the job market, you can expect higher salaries in the long-run. As you mention, the entry level programming job may lead to progression down non-programming routes, depending on the needs of the company, your preferences* and aptitudes.

*Assuming it's a company that wants to develop and retain its employees.
Reply 11
Thank you guys for prompt replies.

What I meant is simply I would like to start as a programer, perhaps after some time I might be promote to project managerand so on. But I would like to get accepted by a widely known multinational company, to have best chance of development in the future. Therefore, I want to pick best University possible...

I see many people post Bristol, which is really high in rankings. In terms of Entry standards, I found a Good University guide with Entry standards for computer science:
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?subject=COMPUTER

I don't know why UCL has so low Entry Standards comparing to Bristol or Edinburgh... But UCL's in London which also matters. What do you think guys?
Reply 12
Yesterday I found a curriculu page from UCL and it seems there is a big workload as well in terms of Computer science... Therefore, I canot understand the low result in rankings...
Reply 13
Bober02

The reason I picked Bristol over Imperial was that on Bristol's course you get the opportunity to do a great bit of work for your portfolio if you want to go into games. In the 3rd year of the 4 year course you get to work in a group and make a game. This is great because it involves team work and hopefully your end result is a pretty impressive game that would look good on your portfolio.

Waldo Dobbs

Also, to be aware: I don't believe Microsoft has any code-shops over here in Blighty. My understanding is that the graduate scheme just recruits people to sell stuff/consultancy. I could be wrong of course. :smile:

They sort of do. There's a few Microsoft owned game studios in the UK. There's Lionhead and Rare, there might also be a couple of others.

qlimax

If u are such a hard worker, don't care about location and basicaly wanna geeky environment go to Bristol..

That sounds more like Imperial to me:p:
Another reason I picked Bristol over Imperial was the less geeky atmosphere, and the location seemed a lot more "alive" than the immediate area around Imperial. That's all personal preference of course.
Reply 14
Bober02
Yesterday I found a curriculu page from UCL and it seems there is a big workload as well in terms of Computer science... Therefore, I canot understand the low result in rankings...

From the posts that u made in this thread it seems like u have absolutely no idea of what do u want from university.. Why on earth do u care that ucl got low entry requirments??? How does that affect you personally??? U've been told million times they are ALL GREAT in terms of reputation and employability.

The workload depends on how much do you want to learn. Not how much does the average student spent doing homework..

Don't ask other people to choose for you!!! Look at dergree structures and other RELEVANT description and make YOUR decision..

C'mon man THINK, thats what u need to do IF u get into any of those..
Reply 15
I know wat degree programs are, I understand what I want to do, I simply want to get some feedback from other people, who study at these particular Universities! I want to know what people think about these Universities (their personal opinion or experience), what people heard about them and what guidelines they might have. All these have similar degree programmes but I must pick sth eventually.

That's why I write these posts... THINK before you ACCUSE...
Reply 16
I just have one more question, do you know if any of these five universities I applied to offer games development degree? Software Engineering is widespread among all Unis, but it mostly concentrated on software, rather than a game itself.
Reply 17
Bober02
I just have one more question, do you know if any of these five universities I applied to offer games development degree? Software Engineering is widespread among all Unis, but it mostly concentrated on software, rather than a game itself.

Nope. The universities in the top of the league tables don't do courses like that. Opinion in the games industry is pretty divided on whether or not games degrees are really worth the paper they are printed on. I know some companies like EA prefer a good CS degree over a games tech degree. However some studios have links to unis that run games courses. So to be honest, you probably are better off doing a good CS course over a games one even if you do definitely want a job programming games. Basically there are some companies where having a games degree will count against you, but I don't think any developer would look down on a decent CS degree (not that the degree itself is enough, you need some example work too).
Psyk
The reason I picked Bristol over Imperial was that on Bristol's course you get the opportunity to do a great bit of work for your portfolio if you want to go into games. In the 3rd year of the 4 year course you get to work in a group and make a game. This is great because it involves team work and hopefully your end result is a pretty impressive game that would look good on your portfolio.

Imperial have a group (size 6) software project in the 3rd year. Some write games, some go into AI engines, some into music recognition, etc... in addition to the 2nd year group game project. Also an individual project in the 3rd/4th year where you can choose your topic. Plenty of opportunity to develop a portfolio.
Reply 19
digbycaesar
Imperial have a group (size 6) software project in the 3rd year. Some write games, some go into AI engines, some into music recognition, etc... in addition to the 2nd year group game project. Also an individual project in the 3rd/4th year where you can choose your topic. Plenty of opportunity to develop a portfolio.

Sounds cool. It actually sounds like a pretty similar set up to Bristol's course. I suppose it goes to show you wouldn't go wrong with either choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending