The Student Room Group
Reply 1
don't be silly.. just have fun in your gap year! you're never going to be this free again!
last year during year 13 i did a open university science shrt course entitled human genetics and health issues. i would recommend it or maybe a slightly more indepth one.
oh my word are you the advocate of all expensive wastes of time around here?? you sound like you have more money than sense.
yeah im ****ing rolling in it! sometimes i throw money out of my window onto the streets. i have even more money now since i was sponsored by a company to do the course
I'd take a slighter more moderate view. I would say- do NOT waste your time trying to read up on stuff you're going to do here - there's no point, you'll forget and probably won't understand anyway.
What could be useful - is keeping up your basic biology knowledge of cells/some of the body stuff (e.g. translation/the stuff you learn about neurones). I.e. maintaining rather than learning new stuff.
Just my opinion though.
Reply 6
i'm with saffie

don't worry about having no formal education for a year, you could just keep up to date with the recent news in the world of science and whatnot by reading articles. most importantly make sure your gap year is worthwhile and FUN FUN FUN
Reply 7
Enjoy your gap year and don't worry about doing any reading! If you do forget stuff, you will be amazed at how quickly it all comes back to you when you get back to studying. And as for new stuff, its a lot easier when you get to uni and have a better idea of the depth of what you need to know and what you need to know. This will be about the last time ever that you will have a holiday with nothing hanging over your head so forget about it all until September!
whoever gave me neg rep for my posts on this thread are real mature.
Why would they neg rep you for saying you do an Open Uni course? That is just sad...

OP, like you are actually going to revise!! :biggrin:

Go and have fun... don't be a boring bookworm. :smile:
Learn the anatomy of the arm and upper extremity...it will make your life alot more easier....SERIOUSLY :frown:
iceman_jondoe
Learn the anatomy of the arm and upper extremity...it will make your life alot more easier....SERIOUSLY :frown:

Haha.. that's what I'm doing - talk about boring. HATE anatomy.
iceman_jondoe

cosigned..
i was told to do some basic anatomy in my gap year..but i didnt of course..but i wish i had done a teeny bit :P

then again nobody will shoot you if you dont..
i would keep abreast of medical developments so read the bbc health news page or something,
the open uni course...how much is it? is it useful...and what kind of subjects can u take (in relation to medicine?)?
theatrical
Haha.. that's what I'm doing - talk about boring. HATE anatomy.

well i find bones so easy to learn..when it comes onto muscles, the nerves and the blood vessels theres loads. I only hate anatomy when it gets to a point hwere my brain cant remember anymore. I find it interesting..thing is though once you learn it the clinical applications are very enjoyable eg carpal tunnel syndrome etc.

Latest