The Student Room Group

Gap Year with Medicine?

Just a quick query here as an option for the future. Since i missed the deadline this year, I may wait until next year before applying for a Medicine course. The majority of people however, say that even with a gap year, I should still apply for medicine this year and get a place. Since im too late, can i not just wait until next year and apply then? Or will the year of being un-applied and not in school bother the medical schools guys?
Reply 1
How could you apply for entry in 2008 if you have missed the deadline? I don't understand.
You can't apply this year, as you have missed the deadline. If you want to go to university, you have no choice but the take a gap year.
Reply 3
Ok I realize that, I think my original post was worded so poorly.

So Ill apply for 2009 entry in like September 2008 ok. Will universities mind that I took a year out? Also how do I go about applying If i'm not in school, where do i get references etc?
Reply 4
no unis won't mind as long as you do something worthwhile during this year out and state your plans/what you may have already started doing during summer 2008 in your ps.

as for references and such, i went to school to do mine. they should let you, i don't see why not
Reply 5
I've heard that some courses don't condone gap years due to the forgetful nature of most students over the gap. I've e-mailed sheffield universities medical school to find out their opinion of it. It's my only option since I missed this years deadline, though. I'll be raising money for uni whilst doing voluntary work experience wherever I can, such as hospitals etc. Pray to god people that they don't mind.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I doubt they'll mind. I decided to take a gap year and apply next year instead because I didn't feel I was prepared enough to apply this year. I'll be applying with a much stronger application next time - already achieved grades, a lot more work experience than I have currently and a well planned gap year. Why would they mind?
Reply 7
Sheffield university responded to my e-mail, even though I think they misinterpreted it slightly.

"There is no disadvantage for applying for deferred entry here. Providing you explain what you have done, or plan on doing in your personal statement. Kind regards"

Whilst I don't think they understood that I would be applying a year later instead, I think from the above it's safe to say they do not mind gap years/ Thank god lol.
Reply 8
Get some hospital work as a HCA or something once you turn 18. Then after working for a while, you get extra medical work experience and some spending money at the same time.
Reply 9
dude, whether you had applied now and deferred entry or you apply next year for entry in oct 09, i doubt it makes a difference. a gap year is a gap year. just do something in it.
Reply 10
The only difference I can think of is that if you didn't manage to get in for deferred entry this year, you could have another stab at it next year, whereas in your position you only get one swipe at the carrot.
Check your PM. It's definitely doable.
Reply 12
Thank you for the PM, and the posts people. I wasn't sure if this was a viable option but now i'm convinced it's for me. Thanks alot. After consulting with you all stars and sheff uni it's good to go.

Latest

Trending

Trending