The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

omg that is sooooooooo not usual. very good! omg wow she must be a history whizz! lol well congrats and she shoudl be very proud.
wait, hang on, wen u say she has not taken her Alevels, do you mean she is still in year 11?
or she's just not fisnishe year 13 yet? cos if its the former, well done!, if its the latter, still well done! haha
Reply 2
As I understand the situation from the OP, the OP's cousin is still in Year 12 (so has completed her ASs but not done her A2s).

While this kind of situation is most irregular, congratulations :biggrin: (but it might be an idea not to celebrate yet until it comes through on track...)
Reply 3
Manisha has taken her AS exams but not her A2s.

I think maybe she tells lies! :biggrin: Her family is very competitive against mine so maybe they are exaggerating to make my family seem bad. Family wars are common in my family.
Reply 4
It is of course possible that she is lying (particularly since this situation is so VERY unusual...) but with Oxbridge, anything's possible I suppose :/
Reply 5
Well the whole 'before her exams' thing is quite normal, this is the correct period for applications and offers. While it is very unusual for this to happen (particularly without interview), one of my friends was called last year while she was out on a friday night and they called to give her a BBB offer. That was also for history incidentally.
Reply 6
scratch that, it was actually three years ago - god i feel old!
Reply 7
Nina you don't say explicitly if she had had an interview?

To be more general, Oxford does state in its prospectus and more widely that NO ONE can get into Oxford without an interview...But do all the admissions dudes know that?! :eek:
that_diesel
I think maybe she tells lies! :biggrin: Her family is very competitive against mine so maybe they are exaggerating to make my family seem bad.

I think that must be the case. There is simply no way anyone would be offered a place outside of the standard admissions process.

DtS
Reply 9
My gran rang to tell me my cousin had been given a Cambridge place (last year). Later turned out she'd been given a conditional offer!

But congrats to her if it's true, awesome.
It seems more likely that the tutor has offered her an interview than a place at this stage. Unless she is confusing Brasenose College with Brookes College!
That's what I was going to suggest - are you sure it was the offer of a place and not the offer of an interview?
that_diesel
Manisha has taken her AS exams but not her A2s.

I think maybe she tells lies! :biggrin: Her family is very competitive against mine so maybe they are exaggerating to make my family seem bad. Family wars are common in my family.

Haha well if she is lying she'll have to keep the pretence up for quite some time.
Yes this was after interview sorry!
Haha I'm guessing your Indian. Exactly the same goes on in my friends family, it gets ridiculous. Whose kids are the best etc etc. He takes it all with a blase attitude.
Reply 15
Opsimathmo
Nina you don't say explicitly if she had had an interview?

To be more general, Oxford does state in its prospectus and more widely that NO ONE can get into Oxford without an interview...But do all the admissions dudes know that?! :eek:

Where does it say that? :confused:
I cannot find reference to it anymore, so I withdraw the comment. However, I am certain that I have read, for either Oxford or Cambridge in a prospectus or on a webpage something like 'you cannot get an offer without an interview' or words to that effect.

Maybe I'll try and dig out an old prospectus later.

Your questioning my indirect claim aside, do you know differently, as to official policy?
i think it was in one of the videos from cam
Reply 18
Opsimathmo

Your questioning my indirect claim aside, do you know differently, as to official policy?

I would just be surprised if either Oxford or Cambridge had tied themselves categorically to such a statement. There could well be extenuating circumstances why someone would not be interviewed and still get an offer. For example, if someone made a strong UCAS application, excelled in an admissions test, submitted superb written work but then was severely ill during the interview period - such a person would probably get an offer without interview.
Reply 19
I know an international student that was accepted without interview. They asked whether he wanted to fly over, and he just said "no thanks", and they didn't ask for one over the phone. Though he is just brilliant, so, they might have just guessed from the written work he submitted.
It definitely happens.

Latest

Trending

Trending