The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Cass business school or warwick for management

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't have much time to post back but let me do this is brief.

If you think Cass is better than LSE, go ahead and enjoy what you believe in. It's obvious that I cannot convince you otherwise. I guess, with that burning passion you have for Cass, no body would be able to convince you otherwise.

Cass is is a great school. I didn't say it's not. It's business/management program reflects very well of its good image. BUT, let's be pefectly honest here. Oxford, LSE and Warwick are better schools for management/business than is Cass in terms of branding. I cannot understand why you keep believing otherwise. My only theory is that -- you're biased to you school, which is understandable. But in a discussion that requires mature tone of conversation, you should set aside biases. Business courses will teach you that someday, so don't worry.

Cass is planning to cooperate with Yale. You said that several times already. That does not prove anything. Warwick has cooperationw tih Wharton. LSE and Oxford are already globally regarded and do not need ties to promote their status. If anything, other schools would benefit from the ties that would benefit Oxford and LSE. To give you an idea how prestigious those schools are-- I've heard of them since I was 10 years old from a Russian billionaire whom my dad had contact with. And you know where that was? It was in Tokyo, Japan. Never heard of Cass until very recently. I doubt that a top Japanese would have much passion to get into Cass as they would have for getting into Oxford or LSE. Warwick is still not in LSE's league in terms of brand recognition but it's going towards that direction as more and more Warwick alumni are gaining admirationa nd prestige in the corporate world in many parts of the world.

Do you think Guardian is that reliable? Look at how they rank the schools?

Oxford 95.31
Cambridge 91.94
Imperial College 82.29
St Andrews 79.35
UCL 79.23
London School of Economics 78.54
Edinburgh 75.18
Warwick 75.08
Loughborough 73.48
Bath 73.48
Soas 71.59
King's College London 70.61
Southampton 69.58
Bristol 68.94
York 68.66

WHO IN HIS RIGHT MIND WOULD BELIEVE LOUGHBOROUGH/SOAS KING'S, FOR INSTANCE, ARE BETTER SCHOOLS THAT IS BRISTOL?

Now, let's assume for a while that the Guardian is reliable. Here's what the Guardian says about selectivity:

Oxford -- 10
Warwick -- 10
LSE -- 10

Nottingham -- 9
Bristol -- 9
Manchester -- 9
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Cass -- 8
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21

Besides that, I wonder how you did not mention the BSc in Management sciences at LSE where a usual offer is BBB to ABB....? since I am a UK student i do not care about IB..LSE's IB requirements are higher since they do not offer to many IB students a place..

I'm sure that's just the minimum entry standard. But I know that at prestigious schools such as Oxford, Warwick and LSE, admission is usually given to those students with better marks. Thus, I suppose the actual students admitted have better than ABB marks.

But more importantly, let's talk about apple to apple?
Cass BSc Management and LSE's BSc Management are the equivalent.

Second point: Oxford, LSE and warwick, and I supposed even Cass do cater to international students too. About half of the students at LSE are international. Thus let's not disregard the IB entry requirement. It does not matter if you're a local applicant. The point is -- those schools we are talking about caters to students from all parts of the globe.
Reply 22

doesn't it ring a bell that Cass has become very popular and that 5400 applicants for all 500 places for 2008 entry is a record until now?

So what's your point?
Manchester has something like 50k applicants. Oxford has like 15k applicants.
Bottomline: quality NOT quantity.
Reply 23

I asked questions you have not answered or did not like to answer! like how good imperials business programme is or cambridge's.

I cannot comment much about Imperial because I, as well, am not interested of that school. But let me say something about Cambridge.

According to Good University Guide:
Cambridge is number 3.
Cass is number 13.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?subject=BUISINESS

Entry Standard: AAA.

JPMorgan and the like recruit there. They don't at Cass.

http://usibcareers.jpmorgan.com/content/content_292.aspx#events
Reply 24
i guess that being a student is about having fun, partying but also being active and ambitious to achieve something. what do you mean with the sentence 'But why would you party all the time when you're still a student' ???

That was a response to your "Warwick is dull" claims.
My point is just simple: you can enjoy whichever campus you are at. Campus does not have a BIG factor in becoming a better business/management student. Students usually choose schools based their standard and prestige. Cambridge is a top school even if Cambridge is not in London.
Reply 25
ILIGAN
I don't have much time to post back but let me do this is brief.

If you think Cass is better than LSE, go ahead and enjoy what you believe in. It's obvious that I cannot convince you otherwise. I guess, with that burning passion you have for Cass, no body would be able to convince you otherwise.

Cass is is a great school. I didn't say it's not. It's business/management program reflects very well of its good image. BUT, let's be pefectly honest here. Oxford, LSE and Warwick are better schools for management/business than is Cass in terms of branding. I cannot understand why you keep believing otherwise. My only theory is that -- you're biased to you school, which is understandable. But in a discussion that requires mature tone of conversation, you should set aside biases. Business courses will teach you that someday, so don't worry.

Cass is planning to cooperate with Yale. You said that several times already. That does not prove anything. Warwick has cooperationw tih Wharton. LSE and Oxford are already globally regarded and do not need ties to promote their status. If anything, other schools would benefit from the ties that would benefit Oxford and LSE. To give you an idea how prestigious those schools are-- I've heard of them since I was 10 years old from a Russian billionaire whom my dad had contact with. And you know where that was? It was in Tokyo, Japan. Never heard of Cass until very recently. I doubt that a top Japanese would have much passion to get into Cass as they would have for getting into Oxford or LSE. Warwick is still not in LSE's league in terms of brand recognition but it's going towards that direction as more and more Warwick alumni are gaining admirationa nd prestige in the corporate world in many parts of the world.

Do you think Guardian is that reliable? Look at how they rank the schools?

Oxford 95.31
Cambridge 91.94
Imperial College 82.29
St Andrews 79.35
UCL 79.23
London School of Economics 78.54
Edinburgh 75.18
Warwick 75.08
Loughborough 73.48
Bath 73.48
Soas 71.59
King's College London 70.61
Southampton 69.58
Bristol 68.94
York 68.66

WHO IN HIS RIGHT MIND WOULD BELIEVE LOUGHBOROUGH/SOAS KING'S, FOR INSTANCE, ARE BETTER SCHOOLS THAT IS BRISTOL?

why shouldnt they be better schools than bristol???both are university of london unis and quite prestigious...i think this is more convincing than the times ranking that includes info in the business ranking that is not accurate, like the example of imperial college...which is listed but does NOT offer any UG programmes.
I feel sorry that u do not want to comment on it.
please do not come along again with ur branding....rankings speak more than a good branding trust me...but still i am not the one who is biased..always said that warwick has an excellent programme as well though in a somehow dull region....but u cannot accept that , that is why I feel sorry for you! since u have never been there and you have never spoken to anyone there who studies at the business school ,,its ridiculous to compare cambridge with cass...u made me laugh! cambridge may be in a small city though it is not a campus uni..it is part of the community and u can watl around the town easily so again this is something different.

as far as international reputation cass as the other schools has a quite famous branding. i am really sad that u have never mentioned that and wonder why?? have u ever heard that cass exec mba is partnered with the bank of china, one of the most important banks currently? or with the chamber of commerce of dubai? well I guess its actuarial programme is second best in the world after wharton! and very reputable are its finance and investement risk management programmes for ppl to go into IB..nevertheless there are others like LSE or aston who are equally good!

I would just like to state things and facts and according to the most accurate UG ranking which u question of course!!! and I speak in detail and not in general about unis. and also I speak of personal experience since I have visited cass and have there the cousin of my best friend. she is indeed quite unhappy although she is at warwick business school..
Reply 26
ILIGAN
So what's your point?
Manchester has something like 50k applicants. Oxford has like 15k applicants.
Bottomline: quality NOT quantity.

not quite smart of u! to compare whole uni applications with a single uni departement like cass :p:
Reply 27
why shouldnt they be better schools than bristol???both are university of london unis and quite prestigious...i think this is more convincing than the times ranking that includes info in the business ranking that is not accurate, like the example of imperial college...which is listed but does NOT offer any UG programmes.
I feel sorry that u do not want to comment on it.

SOAS and King’s are better schools than is Bristol? You got to be kidding me!

As much as I’d like to comment about that absurd notion of yours, this is not the right forum for such argument, so let’s leave the discussion between Warwick Management vs Cass Management.

please do not come along again with ur branding....rankings speak more than a good branding trust me...

But rankings are not consistent. Two of the major ranking bodies in the UK don’t even complement.

Branding is important to business schools. Harvard Business School (HBS), for instance, is not necessarily a better business school than is Stanford Business School (SBS). At most, they are equal in standard. But since HBS has a better brand name (more prestigious), more elite b-school aspirants apply there than they would at SBS. So, clearly, branding says a lot to the business of business schools.

always said that warwick has an excellent programme as well though in a somehow dull region....but u cannot accept that , that is why I feel sorry for you!

You feel sorry for me? Well, likewise. I feel sorry for you too for not getting my point clearly. I’ve been saying all along that Warwick’s dull location seems to be more of a personal opinion than a general one. You find Warwick dull, that’s your personal opinion and I would respect that. But I’m sure many students would not always agree with you and you have to respect that too. Dull, as I said, is relative. Just because Warwick campus is solemn and tranquil does not make it a dull place for everyone.

since u have never been there and you have never spoken to anyone there who studies at the business school ,,its ridiculous to compare cambridge with cass...u made me laugh! cambridge may be in a small city though it is not a campus uni..it is part of the community and u can watl around the town easily so again this is something different.

I’m afraid I may have to ask you to hold the chuckle first. FYI, I have been to Warwick. I was part of the exchange program offered at my school and I spent 4 months at WBS, so I know what I speak of.

I have also visited Cambridge. In fact, I’ve been to Cambridge a countless times that I could not exactly remember how many times I have been there. My father went to St. John’s College, Cambridge. My sister is an alumna of Pembroke College, Cambridge.

Oh, I also have visited Nottingham, Cass, Imperial, Oxford (where I was supposed to attend had I decided to study in the UK instead of the US) and several other more prestigious schools than Cass.

as far as international reputation cass as the other schools has a quite famous branding.

Quite famous? You’re kidding right? It’s not even a top 50 business school in the world, how can it be QUITE famous? In terms of branding, it’s not even considered a major player in the global arena. Don’t exaggerate Cass profile. Like I said, it offers good programs, but it’s not a quite famous school. Not by a long shot!
Reply 28
ellie28
not quite smart of u! to compare whole uni applications with a single uni departement like cass :

Not quite smart of you either to miss my point. :rolleyes:

I don't have the exact number of students applying to Oxford-Said and MBS but the news that goes around say that Manchester (MBS) receives more than Oxford-Said does. (Take note that I'm talking about undergrad.) They say it's like 1:15 at MBS whilst only 1:6 for Oxford-Said. Now, if we will follow your logic that would make MBS a more difficult school to get into than Oxford-Said. See how funny can your argument sometimes get? :biggrin:
Reply 29
ceasefire for a while.

I would just like to great everyone a merry, merry xmas and a happy and prosperous new year!

:smile:
since we are in the warwick forum it is a fact that noone would support cass.there is no doubt that warwick is good and also there is no question that cass is famous and has an international reputation. I cannot understand iligan for being quite biased. My father works at Citigroup in New York and states that Cass has a much better rep than warwick in terms of UG studies which are finance and investement banking oriented as well as financial risk management and actuarial science.and that they have often employed ppl from there.so i guess that everything is relative. And cass's actuarial science and shipping programme are one of the best in the world! so in some courses, YES, cass is a major player in the global arena. I was also at warwick for almost 4 months and the whole atmosphere made my cry in the first week(felt so cut off from everything)- since I had never lived in such a quiet place like covenrty before. I guess some people enjoy calmer places and the country side and others a more urban life. I go for the 2nd one to spend 3 great UG years :smile: yes and that is also my personal opinion.! I guess that this ditta meant with warwick being dull her personal view of how she percieved it and that of her friend who studies at wbs if i can recall. no doubt as a city london offers better nightlife, restaurants and theatres than coventry :wink:
ILIGAN

ONE question i would like to ask how you imply that kings and soas are worse than bristol? king's college has a very good rep. especially for law and medicine!:wink: and according to your branding arguments King college is much more famous than bristol on a global basis. and so is cass as a business school. and something else which i find somehow false is to compare unis..would be better to compare specific departements and subjects.this applies to ditta as well
Reply 32
[QUOTE="chelseagirl"]
ILIGAN

ONE question i would like to ask how you imply that kings and soas are worse than bristol? king's college has a very good rep. especially for law and medicine!:wink: and according to your branding arguments King college is much more famous than bristol on a global basis. and so is cass as a business school. and something else which i find somehow false is to compare unis..would be better to compare specific departements and subjects.this applies to ditta as well

why does it apply to me? U mean ellie right? as far as some degrees at cass, yes I heard that they are quite reputable in the finance world...unfortunately there is noone who can tell me sth about student life in warwick? is it true that coventry is in the middle of nowhere? w8 for ur replies :smile:
Reply 33
It's a university campus with more or less 20k students. So, how can that be a "middle of nowhere"? Besides, Coventry is just 10minutes away.

My point is this: if you know how to spend your spare time and you spend it with someone you truly enjoys (girlfriend, best friend or someone you fancy), then location does not matter that much anymore. What really matters to people's quality time and attention is how it is spent and whom it is spent with. So, even if you are in the middle of London and you are with a bunch of people you don't like and don't feel to hang out with, believe me, you'd still feel alone and lonely.

Another point I'd like to raise is, when you look for a university to go to, it is important that you consider the prestige of the school because that would really count in the long run. Unless the universities you are trying to compare with do have equal reputation, then deciding where to go based on "fit" is the way to go. But in this case, Warwick vs Cass, I think there are really more valid points to throw Warwick away in favour of Cass that you should be ready to accept the consequences in the long run. Again, in terms of branding alone, Warwick is so much ahead of Cass and the gap does not get closer because Warwick is really doing leap and bound successes. The decision would be harder if the options were Warwick and LSE or UCL. But Cass? That's a joke.

Let me tell you something. In the US, students often follow the prestige of the school. Duke, for example, is in the "middle of nowhere" but it is one of the top schools in the US and students go there over NYU, Columbia, Fordham (all in NYC) or UCLA and USC (both in LA) because it is a very prominent school. And it feels like, someone is telling me to go to NYU instead of Duke because NYU is in New York City. That's total crap. That's what I feel for this particular case.
ILIGAN
It's a university campus with more or less 20k students. So, how can that be a "middle of nowhere"? Besides, Coventry is just 10minutes away.

My point is this: if you know how to spend your spare time and you spend it with someone you truly enjoys (girlfriend, best friend or someone you fancy), then location does not matter that much anymore. What really matters to people's quality time and attention is how it is spent and whom it is spent with. So, even if you are in the middle of London and you are with a bunch of people you don't like and don't feel to hang out with, believe me, you'd still feel alone and lonely.

Another point I'd like to raise is, when you look for a university to go to, it is important that you consider the prestige of the school because that would really count in the long run. Unless the universities you are trying to compare with do have equal reputation, then deciding where to go based on "fit" is the way to go. But in this case, Warwick vs Cass, I think there are really more valid points to throw Warwick away in favour of Cass that you should be ready to accept the consequences in the long run. Again, in terms of branding alone, Warwick is so much ahead of Cass and the gap does not get closer because Warwick is really doing leap and bound successes. The decision would be harder if the options were Warwick and LSE or UCL. But Cass? That's a joke.

Let me tell you something. In the US, students often follow the prestige of the school. Duke, for example, is in the "middle of nowhere" but it is one of the top schools in the US and students go there over NYU, Columbia, Fordham (all in NYC) or UCLA and USC (both in LA) because it is a very prominent school. And it feels like, someone is telling me to go to NYU instead of Duke because NYU is in New York City. That's total crap. That's what I feel for this particular case.

pardon me but this is utterly hilarious! There are several differences to the United States unis and in my view it is a mistake to compare whole unis with a single department like cass. Also you speak in general about whole unis. is that fair?? as I mentioned before everything depends on what exactly you want to study- like if I would like to study actuarial sciences I would choose cass cause it has the best course for that subject.. if I would like to study economics I would choose Ucl etc. but it doesn't mean that because a uni is good at one subject and high in the overall rankings, that is is good in another, OK?
Now as you spoke about the CASS business school, may I remind you that the school has several courses! some of which are finance oriented and are considered the best in the UK, like investment and financial Risk management, banking finance, risk analysis etc...

http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/undergrad/courses/index.html

let me tell you that Cass has the most postgraduate applications for business studies and finance in the Uk..doesnt that ring a bell?:smile: and some people start with UG courses at Cass in order to move on to do their masters also at cass. despite that, warwick is no doubt a very good uni and has also a very reputable departement
Reply 35
visited uni and cass on friday. was so gorgeous! what a business School venue, really professional, modern and business like lol..took my breath away :biggrin: curious to see how the warwick campus looks like, hope it's not too cut off from everything
Reply 36
chelseagirl
pardon me but this is utterly hilarious! There are several differences to the United States unis and in my view it is a mistake to compare whole unis with a single department like cass. Also you speak in general about whole unis. is that fair?? as I mentioned before everything depends on what exactly you want to study- like if I would like to study actuarial sciences I would choose cass cause it has the best course for that subject.. if I would like to study economics I would choose Ucl etc. but it doesn't mean that because a uni is good at one subject and high in the overall rankings, that is is good in another, OK?
Now as you spoke about the CASS business school, may I remind you that the school has several courses! some of which are finance oriented and are considered the best in the UK, like investment and financial Risk management, banking finance, risk analysis etc...

http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/undergrad/courses/index.html

let me tell you that Cass has the most postgraduate applications for business studies and finance in the Uk..doesnt that ring a bell?:smile: and some people start with UG courses at Cass in order to move on to do their masters also at cass. despite that, warwick is no doubt a very good uni and has also a very reputable departement

We're just going in circles here... whatever you want to say, it does not change the fact that:

Warwick university > City University
Warwick Business School > Cass
Warwick Mangement > Cass management
Warwick Economics/MMORSE/Finance > Cass
Warwick reputation > Cass reputation

Look, I am not saying Cass is a bad school. No, that's far from what I thought of that school. I think it's a decent school too. I honestly do. However, it is not is Warwick's league. Not yet. Warwick is in the league of UCL, LSE, Imperial, Bristol, Bath, Durham and the like. City Uni and Cass are not yet there. Maybe it will be in the future. But not right now. Not yet. OKAY? That's all I want to say. Hope you can sleep well at night now.
Reply 37
ILIGAN

HELLO THERE!
LOL LET ME REPEAT! THE POINT IS WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A WHOLE INSTITUTION..WE ARE TALKING ABOUT UNI DEPARTMENTS.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE AVOIDED answering to evrything mentioned in CHELSEAGIRL's POST..well, i do believe that chelseagirl covered some quite important topics which you do not want to mention.
SHE SAID THAT RARELY A UNI IS REPUTABLE AS A WHOLE UNI.. ALWAYS THERE ARE SOME COURSES WHICH ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS.... I KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT STUDY IN THE UK BUT THATS A FACT... AND SO U MAY NOT BE ACQUAINTED WITH EVERYTHING
ALSO IF YOU WERE WELL-INFORMED, CASS IS REALLY WORLD-CLASS IN SOME ACTUARIAL AND FINANCE COURSES AS WELL AS ITS POSTGRADUATE COURSES WHICH ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THOSE OF WARWICK... REPUTATION IS QUITE QUESTIONABLE AND DEBATABLE. OF COURSE WARWICK IS A BETTER in terms of an OVERALL UNI. BUT AS I SAID WE ARE COMPARING BUSINESS SCHOOLS. NOT UNIS.................

BUT YOU DO NOT SEEM TO GET MY POINT:in the Financial Times 2007 ranking of European Business Schools which was issued in DECEMBER 2007...CASS WAS RANKED 14th best Bs school in EUROPE above LSE and WARWICK..DOESN'T THAT RING A BELL ABOUT UR SO CALLED REPUTATION??
here is the link
http://rankings.ft.com/european-business-school-rankings

HAVE A DELIGHTFUL DAY....:wink:
Reply 38
well, had a chat with a girl from the second year management, also having lived all her life in london, but studying in warwick and she told me that it wouldn't make a great difference if she were instead of warwick at cass or KCL, since teaching is more or less the same and after all its what u make yourself out of it! also I asked her about how it is being a student at warwick and she claimed that the student's union is fine but that the campus is a bit of a bubble and gets quite empty at the weekends. So a drawback for her is the uni as a location( coventry), the enclosed campus environment and she also mentioned sth about local resentment of students and that in the 2nd year you have to live somewhere in coventry and not on the campus :s-smilie:..well, looking fwd to visiting the warwick uni campus myself :smile:
Reply 39
ellie28
HELLO THERE!
LOL LET ME REPEAT! THE POINT IS WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A WHOLE INSTITUTION..WE ARE TALKING ABOUT UNI DEPARTMENTS.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE AVOIDED answering to evrything mentioned in CHELSEAGIRL's POST..well, i do believe that chelseagirl covered some quite important topics which you do not want to mention.
SHE SAID THAT RARELY A UNI IS REPUTABLE AS A WHOLE UNI.. ALWAYS THERE ARE SOME COURSES WHICH ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS.... I KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT STUDY IN THE UK BUT THATS A FACT... AND SO U MAY NOT BE ACQUAINTED WITH EVERYTHING
ALSO IF YOU WERE WELL-INFORMED, CASS IS REALLY WORLD-CLASS IN SOME ACTUARIAL AND FINANCE COURSES AS WELL AS ITS POSTGRADUATE COURSES WHICH ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THOSE OF WARWICK... REPUTATION IS QUITE QUESTIONABLE AND DEBATABLE. OF COURSE WARWICK IS A BETTER in terms of an OVERALL UNI. BUT AS I SAID WE ARE COMPARING BUSINESS SCHOOLS. NOT UNIS.................

BUT YOU DO NOT SEEM TO GET MY POINT:in the Financial Times 2007 ranking of European Business Schools which was issued in DECEMBER 2007...CASS WAS RANKED 14th best Bs school in EUROPE above LSE and WARWICK..DOESN'T THAT RING A BELL ABOUT UR SO CALLED REPUTATION??
here is the link
http://rankings.ft.com/european-business-school-rankings

HAVE A DELIGHTFUL DAY....:wink:

Am I talking in Chinese here or you guys are that you can't get what I'm saying? OK, let me simplify this for you.

There are 3 undergrad programs at Warwick Business School and these are:

BSc Management
BSc Accounting and Finance
BSc International Business

ALL THESE ARE SUPERIOR to whatever Cass has an equivalent of them.

For example, if we compare Warwick's BSc Management to Cass BSc Management, Warwick's Management wins. And please dont ask why.

For MBA, Warwick MBA > Cass MBA. This is a no-brainer.

And btw, LSE does not have an MBA.

Quick Reply