The Student Room Group

Tutor Is Delaying Reference

I completed my UCAS application about 3 weeks ago, and paid the application fee. I spoke to my tutor and she agreed to write my reference and get it sent off the same week.

3 weeks later and she hasn't even checked my application let alone started my reference.

Im annoyed now because i didn't want to leave it this late. Every time i speak to her she makes different excuses. The college's deadline is the 14th December, which to me is way to late because everyone else is applying early.

I wish i could have got my own reference and done it all myself. Stupid tutor!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cascadingstylez
I completed my UCAS application about 3 weeks ago, and paid the application fee. I spoke to my tutor and she agreed to write my reference and get it sent off the same week.

3 weeks later and she hasn't even checked my application let alone started my reference.

Im annoyed now because i didn't want to leave it this late. Every time i speak to her she makes different excuses. The college's deadline is the 14th December, which to me is way to late because everyone else is applying early.

I wish i could have got my own reference and done it all myself. Stupid tutor!

Nag them to death! 3 weeks is too long, especially if you informed her about it.

Good luck.
Complain about your tutor, go to someone higher up in the school hierachy :P. or get a different tutor . . . .
Reply 3
I had the same problem. I'm going to ring them up now 'cause it's taking the piss.
Reply 4
I have the same problem. I'm going to ring them up now 'cause it's taking the piss.
I spoke to her today, she said she only just got her password and she will do it today. Im in her lesson now. If she don't do it today i will complain to someone higher up.
Reply 6
Just rang, got put through to Head of 6th form and it's answer phone.. stuttered around a bit.

BLOODY SEND IT OFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why don't you try telling her you will complain to the Powers that be if she doesn't do it ASAP?
Reply 8
man thats a real piss take. You should sue her ass
Christop III
Why don't you try telling her you will complain to the Powers that be if she doesn't do it ASAP?

nice rhyme :cool:
arisk01
nice rhyme :cool:

LOL that was 100% unintentional :biggrin:
Reply 11
Maybe your parents can give a ring.
hound her down make her do it, annoy her in the corridor whenever you see her, chase her at lunch times, follow her home! lol sorry, nah seriously just keep on at her! she will do it eventually just to stop you annoying her, even if in the mean time she grows a hatre for you, she can't really write you a bad reference
Reply 13
Tutors have lives too, you know. Maybe she has other commitments. It does happen sometimes! She's a teacher; she has lessons to plan, homework to mark etc. She'll have loads of other references to do too. And then she's allowed a life outside of college and probably has a partner and kids which need attention.

If you hadn't completed some work, would you like being nagged constantly? No, you'd come on here and moan that it's unfair. But because it's you that wants something, you want it doing instantly. That's not right.

If I was your teacher, I'd deliberately do it slower if you annoyed me. And maddi, they can give a bad reference if they feel it's justified. So don't piss them off.

You'd also be on here moaning if she stopped teaching you or marking your homework because she was spending her time writing references all day. But checking UCAS applications is an awful lot of work, and imagine having to write 30 difference personal statements. Because that's what it's like for your tutor. She'll have to write a reference for all of you, and make sure it's good. And some students will change their course choice really late and expect the tutor to write a new one. And some will expect her to fit in loads of stuff from outside of school at short notice. And some will want their predicted grades changing, or their subjects, or "can you write a bit more about my AS grades, please, miss?"

So to come on here complaining is very selfish of you. And it's really stupid to do it when you've got your college in your profile, even if it is spelt wrong. "Matthew" has 2 T's.
In all fairness it's been three weeks, no ones suggesting that it should be turned around within a day but three weeks is excessive. This is part of the job that she is being paid to do.
Reply 15
i have the same problem, as in my college we only have 1 hour of tutor a week, she has a week to write it in, however i oaid for my ucas application and sent it 3 weeks ago, but its just sitting in sixth form services at the mo as i dont have my refrence. today she showed me the basis for my refrence that was just what was written in my college report last yr! plus she had called me SArah!!!! i mean honestly, taking the p***
Right now I’m hacked off and really pissed off!!!

She promised me Monday morning she would do it that same day. It never got done, i assumed it will get done on Tuesday (yesterday) ....... it hasn't got done. I have emailed her 3 times and asked her to respond.... she hasn't.

Today is my tutorial lesson but I cannot attend because I have a doctor’s appointment. I’m really angry with her. Everyone else has a deadline of 14th December to hand them in, so no-one else's application has been started. I cannot wait that long, the college sends them out in January, and that’s to close to the deadline for my liking. She agreed she would get it done as soon as i finish everything.

A friend has a similar problem. He handed in an assignment 4 weeks ago and it still hasn't been marked. This is by the same tutor by the way.

Tutors have lives too, you know. Maybe she has other commitments. It does happen sometimes! She's a teacher; she has lessons to plan, homework to mark etc. She'll have loads of other references to do too. And then she's allowed a life outside of college and probably has a partner and kids, which need attention.

If you hadn't completed some work, would you like being nagged constantly? No, you'd come on here and moan that it's unfair. But because it's you that wants something, you want it doing instantly. That's not right.

If I was your teacher, I'd deliberately do it slower if you annoyed me. And maddi, they can give a bad reference if they feel it's justified. So don't piss them off.

You'd also be on here moaning if she stopped teaching you or marking your homework because she was spending her time writing references all day. But checking UCAS applications is an awful lot of work, and imagine having to write 30 difference personal statements. Because that's what it's like for your tutor. She'll have to write a reference for all of you, and make sure it's good. And some students will change their course choice really late and expect the tutor to write a new one. And some will expect her to fit in loads of stuff from outside of school at short notice. And some will want their predicted grades changing, or their subjects, or "can you write a bit more about my AS grades, please, miss?"

So to come on here complaining is very selfish of you. And it's really stupid to do it when you've got your college in your profile, even if it is spelt wrong. "Matthew" has 2 T's.

Totally out of line on this one. First of all a tutor does have a life, i agree but 4 weeks is stupid!

Secondly she has no other references to do because nobody else has completed their applications. Also she has a template for personal references, she told me this herself.

How can my tutor give me a bad reference? I have 95% attendance, always get assignments in way before deadlines and always achieve top marks. I do not annoy lecturers and infact two of my lecturers are amazed at my ability and have asked me to get involved in helping to develop the colleges website because I was an ex web developer, I know more then the web dev. tutor!!. What can she say bad about me?

My personal statement was checked over by my English lecturer, it was part of our first assignment and I got top marks on it, said it was perfect, so my tutor does not have to give me feedback on it.
woooo!

Got back from doctors and noticed this on my UCAS page:

Your application has been checked by your referee/co-ordinator.
21-11-2007 (13:34) Your reference is in progress.

Great news for me. I had to beg her in the last email and i explained how i felt .... must have worked.
Juno
Tutors have lives too, you know. Maybe she has other commitments. It does happen sometimes! She's a teacher; she has lessons to plan, homework to mark etc. She'll have loads of other references to do too. And then she's allowed a life outside of college and probably has a partner and kids which need attention.

Teachers do have lives outside of school and they do have families, I speak from experience here. Regardless of all that however, they have jobs - and they get paid for those jobs. They have to do these things, ps's, references etc - after all it is in their job description lol, why take the job and not do it - that's how you get fired :P

Yes teachers may not like you nagging them but they do nag their students - if you haven't done your homework then you deserve to be nagged, that's fair. It is however also applicable conversely, if the teacher hasn't marked that work then the student has the right to complain. This may not be true in lower school, but sixth form is different to lower school, it isn't compulsory and the schools get paid much much much more money for 6th formers than "standard" students.
Reply 19
It may be part of the job description, but when you look at university admissions statistics, it's now become more of the job. So when they took the job, it was probably only a few students per class who went to uni. Now, the government want 50% of students to go! So the work load has gone up loads, but wages haven't gone up that much, and as far as I'm aware there are still the same number of hours in a day.

Then add to that the fact that the deadline isn't for ages, and you get equal consideration if you apply before then yet people want to apply earlier there's far too much work and not enough time.

And there's a difference between slight nagging and some of the things suggested on here.

Latest