The Student Room Group

What are you looking for in a CAREER?

Poll

What are you looking for most in a Career (long term)?

I've been looking at a few of the posts and I've been wondering this for a while now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For me, it has to be a career that makes me look forward to going into work each day. That's all that matters, really, as long as I can afford rent/food.
Reply 2
My ideal career will satisfy me immensely, challenge me, allow me to use my skills and abilities I've built up over the years and will pay enough so that I can live comfortably.
Reply 3
It doesn't matter as long as it pays well.
It doesnt have to pay mega well - just sufficient.

Not stressful. Has to be interesting. I dont wanna dread going in everyday or want the week to drag on.
:smile: doing sumthing different. how about dolphin trainer :biggrin: that wud b cool
Reply 6
Love how "It doesn't matter as long as it pays me well" is the #1 choice at the moment, a big middle finger at everyone saying this is "sad" or "pathetic" or whatever recently.

As long as you don't mind, and don't hate your job, a job's a job for ****'s sake, so if you're multi-talented why not just do whatever pays the most and that way have the best life - it might be longer hours right now but you could be retired at 35 or 40, or save up enough to do what you're uber-passionate about age 30 and not worry about bills.

A job is a job at the end of the day. I work long hours but work still doesn't take over my life. It's a cliche but do you guys want to live to work or work to live??
mayavara
Love how "It doesn't matter as long as it pays me well" is the #1 choice at the moment, a big middle finger at everyone saying this is "sad" or "pathetic" or whatever recently.

As long as you don't mind, and don't hate your job, a job's a job for ****'s sake, so if you're multi-talented why not just do whatever pays the most and that way have the best life - it might be longer hours right now but you could be retired at 35 or 40, or save up enough to do what you're uber-passionate about age 30 and not worry about bills.

A job is a job at the end of the day. I work long hours but work still doesn't take over my life. It's a cliche but do you guys want to live to work or work to live??

Whats wrong with working 40 hours a week and then living during the 8 or so hours a day you get after work?

A job is a job - and a lot of people hate thiers

which is why peopel are willing to compromise for something that isnt a pain.

there are not many jobs that will allow you to retire by the time you are 40 in most careers you only get near the top at 40 - get out of your city based bubble.
oh and i think all these people saying they wil ldo anything for money will regret it later when they are stuck doing something they hate.

even i thought it at one point :biggrin:
mayavara

Yeah, with a whole five people having voted for it, it must really mean something. :rofl:
Reply 10
Clubber Lang
there are not many jobs that will allow you to retire by the time you are 40 in most careers you only get near the top at 40 - get out of your city based bubble.
That is PRECISELY my point? If you're good at lots of different things, and aren't intolerant about what you do, go for the city job that you can retire at 40 at rather than the option where you'll be working till 70?
Reply 11
no hero in her sky
Yeah, with a whole five people having voted for it, it must really mean something. :rofl:

14 people, 36%, no doubt will stay a key choice when the sample size gets bigger.
mayavara
That is PRECISELY my point? If you're good at lots of different things, and aren't intolerant about what you do, go for the city job that you can retire at 40 at rather than the option where you'll be working till 70?

But the kind of jobs that pay mega bucks like that are limited in the city - what about the rest of us??

Anyhow, we might be dead by the time we are 40 - dont wanan waste all my best years on work :wink:
I want to do something that I love. I'm going to hopefully paint and do commissions for a living, but I need a job on the side to support myself of course until I get some good business coming in. I don't really need to earn alot of money to be happy. as long as I have my friends family and my art I'll be happy.
Reply 14
mayavara

I don't see how the current results of this poll are a 'big middle finger' to the rest of us? All they indicate is that there are a lot of 'sad' and 'pathetic' people out there; not that it makes that opinion any less 'sad' or 'pathetic'. :p:
I voted other. I've chosen a career that will benefit others as a result. Being a research scientist.
Purple Sunset
I voted other. I've chosen a career that will benefit others as a result. Being a research scientist.

Interesting, I'm a research scientist. I voted that it was something that I wanted to do since I was young (which is true), but there were other options (like that one) that it could fit in too.
Reply 17
Research in Science. Nothing other. I can't imagine myself in a job where I apply the same skills over and over again i.e. Doctor, Teacher.
Its very tough to find a thing to vote on in the pol las they all ahve small elements of what i want in a career but dont tick all the boxes!
------

Latest

Trending

Trending