The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sorry but these questions on "I've got 2 A's instead of straight A*s should I still bother with Oxbridge?" questions are really irritating me. For goodness sake of course they're good enough! And if you wanna try Oxbridge for the course or uni - if you actually wanna go there then just GO! Just APPLY! Or you'll just regret it forever for not applying! If you think you've got what it takes who the heck cares about what people say and if you think you could've done better at GCSE well then you'll show it at A-Level won't you? Just for the last time believe in yourself and just apply if you wanna! You'll never know if you'll get in if you don't apply! I only had 6A*s at GCSE and I even got a C at AS but what the heck I'm applying for Cambridge cus I wanna! I don't give a flip as to whether people think I can get in - if I wanna go there I'm applying! So just APPLY those of you who wants to! You won't know until you apply!

Sorry for shouting but it is annoying. I'm not saying I don't worry about grades and interview cus I do - but I'm applying anyway or I'll never know. If you don't believe you can make it, how can you expect the admissioners and interviewers to believe in you? So ok I think I'll probably get rejected but I KNOW I have what it takes - it just depends if I can get it across at the interview and in my PS. If you think you have what it takes, and wanna go there, then apply. Don't worry about - just do it!
Reply 21
hey,

sorry to have pissed you off. i know it sounds really bad and that im going on about 'yer, i only have 7A*s....lalala' but i was thinking about it from this point of view. competition for law is INTENSE to say the least and the only person i know who got in for law got straight A*s. now, is that because he got 9A*s, or is that because he was extremely intelligent and because of this got 9A*s. in which case the 9A*s would be incidental and just be another sign of his stunning intellect...?

i probably will apply. i have nothing to lose and a lot to gain!!! better make a start on The Times Law Supplement!!!

Mad_NatSci
i think i would be predicted A's as i think part of the reason for my lower than expected (but still really good!) grade was due to the fact i had a minor panic in the exam when i saw the question and i wrote the worst essay i have ever written in Englsih Lit, but i managed to recover and pull my socks up for the second part of the exam which i think is what saved me.
Reply 22
Sorry I got a bit worked up but really, go for it! Don't worry about grades not much you can do now anyway (unless you choose to resit) - they're excellent grades. Just go for it - like I said you'll apply anyway, so why worry? Not gonna change a thing, is it? To be honest I myself am not particularly confident about applying for Cambridge either and I know a C in chem is very bad cus I wanna do science at Cam - I'm scared too! - but I'm going for it. If the worst comes I'll get a rejection - I'd cry, then I'll get over it (a few years later :redface: ).

Sorry I wasn't more considerate! But GCSEs shouldn't be much problem - they don't expect straight A*s. I think it's more the interview you should worry about (which I do :frown: ) and also your AS grades - those two would be worth worrying about. If you got high A's at AS they're not gonna be looking at an A from GCSE, and according to Cambridge they look for plp who think "outside the box" so show them that at the interview when it comes, cus after all, all who applies to Cambridge are academically able.

Really hope you get in! Believe in yourself! Just go for it or you really would kick yourself later in life! And lol now you're getting me worried about my grades too :redface: but compare my C to your A - trust me you have nothing to worry about! My friend who got in for law at Cambridge this year had 2A's at GCSE too!
Reply 23
lol - i am aware of how egotisical the thread sounds but i think given the intense competition to get into cambridge (and law in general - i must have a subconscious need to make life difficult for myself :biggrin: !!!) its a legitimate question.

and gud luck 4 ur application - kick ass at the interview and keep the board posted with how you get on!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Reply 24
you dont need any law related experience whatsoever

all you need is the magic factor that oxbridge is looking for - enthusiasm to learn that subject; if you project that at the interview - you are in
Reply 25
gs314
you dont need any law related experience whatsoever

all you need is the magic factor that oxbridge is looking for - enthusiasm to learn that subject; if you project that at the interview - you are in

Hey, gs, I'm sure I've seen your e-mail on something... what's that likely to be (a law-based society)?

Anyway, just to say I agree, but I think it is one useful way of showing that you understand a bit about what law is like - the academic arguments, the black-letter analysis, the difficulties in applying it, etc. - in order to show that you have a genuine interest and knowledge of what you are committing yourself to!
Reply 26
ant87
lol - i am aware of how egotisical the thread sounds but i think given the intense competition to get into cambridge (and law in general - i must have a subconscious need to make life difficult for myself :biggrin: !!!) its a legitimate question.

and gud luck 4 ur application - kick ass at the interview and keep the board posted with how you get on!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Hehehe I have a tendency of going for the hardest most impossible challenge all the time too :biggrin: hence Cambridge. Maybe I enjoy making life difficult for myself? :tongue:

Now I'm getting scared about predicted grades :eek: Trying to persuade chem teacher to predict me an A :redface: and due to my very low A's (cus of one stupid module in two subjects :mad: ) teachers can still predict me B's :eek: So I'm freaking out big time.

I'm expecting a rejection. But hey I'd be over the moon if they accept me :biggrin: Never stop dreaming eh? :wink: I seem to always expect the worst but I'm the kind who strike it lucky all the time, but those times are GCSEs and AS - let's hope I'm as lucky with my uni application! :biggrin:

Keep me posted as to how you get on too! With a big slap of good luck for me, maybe I'll see you at Cambridge in two years' time! Have you chosen a college yet? I'm getting split between the ducks at Emma and the art club at King's :biggrin: (honestly my deciding factor for a college is DUCKS???? :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: hehe *quack*)
irisng
Hehehe I have a tendency of going for the hardest most impossible challenge all the time too :biggrin: hence Cambridge.

Not Oxford no? :tongue:
Reply 28
NDGAARONDI
Not Oxford no? :tongue:

Nope not Oxford :tongue: I have considered it though - I wanted to apply for both, but back then it was for medicine. I've changed my mind on degree option now anyway and Oxford doesn't do my course :redface: But anyway there's about four incentives for applying for Cambridge and none for Oxford so far, so it'll be Cambridge :biggrin:
Each to their own :biggrin:
Reply 30
NDGAARONDI
Each to their own :biggrin:

Maybe we're all born to a particular "Oxford" or "Cambridge" :biggrin: Are you planning on applying for Oxbridge too? :tongue: And which one would it be?

Latest

Trending

Trending