The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Can I just ask for some advice for the interview itself;
when you're asked why you want to pursue your particular course (I appreciate you may not be asked this, but assuming you will), I, like most people passionate about their subject, could go on for ages. Is it better to give a short snappy one sentence answer to this question, or to give a long, impassioned response and wait for them to interrupt you?
Reply 61
Galatea
when you're asked why you want to pursue your particular course (I appreciate you may not be asked this, but assuming you will), I, like most people passionate about their subject, could go on for ages. Is it better to give a short snappy one sentence answer to this question, or to give a long, impassioned response and wait for them to interrupt you?

Whatever feels natural I'd say, if you go on for too long they won't hesitate to stop you :smile:
Reply 62
I just don't feel I've done well at all. I didn't get to show them the real me because I was so nervous. Oh gosh, it was awful..

Well everyone, good luck with yours! :smile:
Galatea

I think that showing you know how to structure a response, even in disccussion, is something they'll be looking out for. So somewhere in-between these two extremes is what you're looking to acheive, I would say.

But they will often interrupt you, from my interview last year, whenever you say anthing vague. But don't worry about that; every sentance has something vague in it, its a feature of conversation. For exmaple, they might now ask me what I mean by "vague" or be "conversation."

Its best, in terms of lengths of answers, to respond to the mood of the room, and structure your answer around that.
Reply 64
I've got an interview for engineering!
Could somebody tell me his questions or what kind of question I could expect?
thnx !
Reply 65
????? Er, when and where do you have an interview for Engineering?!
Reply 66
Erm, if you've got an interview at Cambridge for engineering coming up, you'd have already had at least one interview. So you should know what to expect...
Reply 67
this poor chap seems to be a bit confuzzled... he asked the same thing about engineering questions in the architecture forum.
Reply 68
:rolleyes:
Reply 69
Nope cause I could'nt make the interview in December , so it's my first interview , this Thursday in Homerton. Could someone please help me?
Reply 70
azertyq
Nope cause I could'nt make the interview in December , so it's my first interview , this Thursday in Homerton. Could someone please help me?

But offers have already been given out, apart from those that will go to pooled applicants. So I don't know what they're planning to do with you... unless you're for deferred entry?

And besides, there's not a lot of help people on here will be able to give you anyway. They can't tell you questions that were already asked because that'd give you an unfair advantage.
Reply 71
Aah, I see that makes sense.
(They do use pool interview time as 2nd chance for those with unusual circumstances in December). :smile:

Anyone who tells you any questions would be being somewhat stupid, though, I'm afraid. So it's unlikely anyone will. (And I couldn't even if I wanted to, as I do a totally different subject!).
Lots of luck, all the same! :smile:
Reply 72
Yes deferred entry !
I'm not asking the questions because of course that would be an unfair advantage for me , but I don't live in England and in my country they learn different maths and physics maybe so I just wanted the subjects I could prepare for..
Reply 73
azertyq
I'm not asking the questions because of course that would be an unfair advantage for me

Good. But, I beg to differ:

azertyq
Could somebody tell me his questions

So, forgive us if we treated your enquiry with less patience than you might otherwise be able to expect!

I think it's fair to say that if the maths and physics differs considerably in your country, that you will not learn it in time to cope with the interview. If, however, the difference is only superficial, and if you're happy with your own syllabuses and abilities, you should be fine. Best of luck. :smile:
The best advice for these interviews is just to practice answering anything you fancy in a fluent, concise, effective way.

No other candidate's going to tell you what the questions are (even though, I must admit, I was doing it like mad on my interview day) and no-one else will be able to guess, Im sorry to say.

But this way, when the inevitable unpreparable questions come up, you won't have to worry about your mental/verbal skills so much, as they'll be well practiced.

P.s Homerton were really great about organising the December interviews, with loads of helpers etc, so don't worry about any of the technicalities; just concentrate on the academics.
Reply 75
thnx for the replies :smile: Is it a good sign allready if you receive a interview or doesn't it mean anything..?
Reply 76
azertyq
thnx for the replies :smile: Is it a good sign allready if you receive a interview or doesn't it mean anything..?

It doesn't really mean anything, to be honest. It's not hard, relatively speaking to get an interview at Cambridge. Don't let that discourage you though - an interview of any kind is great, because it means you get to prove yourself properly rather than just sending them fairly meaningless bits of paper. :smile:
Reply 77
Hehe I see :smile: thnx for the answer.
Does the interview( the one you're not asked maths questions but the other one ) contains difficult questions or is it more like why did you want this course , why this university..?
azertyq
Hehe I see :smile: thnx for the answer.
Does the interview( the one you're not asked maths questions but the other one ) contains difficult questions or is it more like why did you want this course , why this university..?

The general interview could be anything - some people are surprised that the questions are still fairly academic, but they could also ask you about why you chose the course etc. Just be relaxed and prepared to think on your feet. Good luck!
Reply 79
I still don't really know which of my interviews was supposed to be general.

Latest

Trending

Trending