The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lizj
Do they really exist?
I ask because at the moment everything and everybody just makes me feel down. I feel as though I can't do anything right and I just want to crawl away into a hole, curl up and die.
Is it just "mid term blues"? Is there any such thing? Does anyone else feel like this? Or is there something wrong with me?

To be honest, I've always thought it's a bit of a myth. If you're concerned you might be seriously depressed, though - and it sounds to me as though you are - you should better seek help with your university counselling service than to put it all off as "mid-term blues" and try to ignore it.
Well, I'm feeling similar and I'm in the middle of my term in the middle year of my degree. Maybe people at this point begin to re-evaluate why they've come to uni, as debts mount and friendships they formed in the first year begin to crack for whatever reason, and the workload increases.
Reply 3
Will
Well, I'm feeling similar and I'm in the middle of my term in the middle year of my degree. Maybe people at this point begin to re-evaluate why they've come to uni, as debts mount and friendships they formed in the first year begin to crack for whatever reason, and the workload increases.

Yes, that's exactly it. I'm a 2nd year as well. The novelty has worn off, there is a lot more work to do, and it feels like a long time still to go. I am not unhappy at uni, but at the moment it is getting on my nerves.
Reply 4
Heck, I'm at the end of my first term here and I feel like that. It's not long until the holidays now, and I think we all need a break.
Reply 5
I was coming on this board to ask exactly the same question. I feel quite down at the moment...I really go up and down all the time. It's hard because I don't want to moan onto myfriend, cos they're also my flatmates and I don't want them to get sick of me!Need to find a place to vent....
im just panicking about the exams
Reply 7
Its cold and getter colder,
Grey and getting darker,
wet and generally miserable.

It's a long time since the summer holidays and Christmas is still a lot of working days away.

I guess much of the UK feels the way you do - it's not you - it's just a SAD time of year. Once you realise that you may feel less depressed/oppressed?
At Cambridge it's a well-acknowledged phenomenon called "5th week blues". Proplus and booze seems to be the best solution.

MB
Reply 9
musicbloke
At Cambridge it's a well-acknowledged phenomenon called "5th week blues". Proplus and booze seems to be the best solution.

MB

My proplus is yet to be opened . . .
Lizj
Yes, that's exactly it. I'm a 2nd year as well. The novelty has worn off, there is a lot more work to do, and it feels like a long time still to go. I am not unhappy at uni, but at the moment it is getting on my nerves.

:dito: That's exactly how I'm feeling, and I'm second year as well!
Reply 11
I'm nearly at the end of my first term and i'm feel pretty down, my friends and i aren't going out half as much as we used to, work is piling up and exams are starting. I know i'm not depressed but it just feels a little like a chore going to lectures because i'm not finding them that interesting. I've also got some personal crap going on at the moment. I don't want to leave but i also don't want the next 3 - 4 years of my life to be like this.
I can talk for my entire year when we say we're all feeling it.

For us, we've been back since September 10th, reading week was 2 weeks too early, we're nearing the exam weeks and essay deadlines. The lack of sun isn't helping either, not to mention some nasty bugs going around and everyone just wants a break from it all.
Reply 13
I'm a second year and I feel like this too. Nice to know I'm not alone, but it doesn't motivate me any more :frown:
Reply 14
musicbloke

MB

Beat me to it. But it's week 8 today, hoo-bloody-rah!

I've never yet taken ProPlus. But then I have the (occasionally slightly worrying) attitude that if I run out of time I run out of time, and it's more important for me to sleep.

OP, I think it's pretty normal to feel fed up at this stage of the game, especially in your second year. I know I certainly did. If you still feel down after a couple of weeks at home and it persists next term, I'd consider talking to someone about it, your tutor, a councellor or the GP, or even the Chaplain. (Though I'm not sure if other uni chaplains do the same pastoral care as ours does)
Reply 15
Definitely feel a bit down at times, I'm failing to find any motivation, starting to get pretty bored of university life to be honest. I'm actually quite looking forward to exam period, it'll give you some much needed quiet time to rest, revise and basically get your head together.
Reply 16
I'm feeling a bit down at the moment. I got soo much work to do- 3 essays before the end of term. I don't know what it is, but i can't seem to concentrate when in my room so i don't get much work done. I'm so looking forward to xmas- only 3 weeks to go!! :biggrin:
Look on the bright side. I'm doing a new course so first year again. This is my second year at uni but I'm still first year. Everyone's so fresh and up for it and I'm a bit down as I don't really have much in common with my flatmates unfortunately.

It'll get better though and it's all part of growing up in the end.
Reply 18
emmz23
I'm feeling a bit down at the moment. I got soo much work to do- 3 essays before the end of term. I don't know what it is, but i can't seem to concentrate when in my room so i don't get much work done. I'm so looking forward to xmas- only 3 weeks to go!! :biggrin:

Yeah me too, 3 essays as well.I can't really concentrate either. I HATE HATE HATE this dark and gloomy weather. I think a number of contributing factors are making me feel rubbish at the moment.
Reply 19
musicbloke

MB

and chocolate
and toasted crumpets, Sainsburys has them on offer.....

Latest

Trending

Trending